Rielly

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I would move on from Rielly this off-season. He is a good defenceman but he has not shown himself to be at the level of the top defencemen in the NHL, and this is almost surely how he will want to be paid next summer.

There is already discussion of how Rielly would take a discount because he loves the Leafs, etc. If Zach Hyman wouldn't do it, a guy who is from Toronto, loves the city, already came from a wealthy family, etc., why should we expect anything different for other players. [For the record, I have zero issue with Hyman leaving for the rumoured deal]. Sure, it could happen, but you can't bank on it, the same way you couldn't with Hyman. And unlike with Hyman, we have an internal option to potentially replace Rielly, although obviously we should not expect that level of performance immediately.

One thing that is definite - the Leafs cannot continue to lose pending free agents for nothing or close to nothing. The list of talent that has walked away for nothing over the last decade or so is far too long and is a significant reason this team now finds itself with significant depth issues. A decision on Rielly must be made this off-season.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton
Awesome news! The less good players playing for cheap the better off we’ll be. The window will always be open for the Leafs. Plus, our D has never been an issue, so it’s probably fine!

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I like Sandin as much as the next guy but let's not get carried away. Rielly is a far better defenseman today than Sandin is

I'm being a bit hyperbolic - but I'll take Sandin + cap savings and whoever we get then Rielly. It's not even a hard decision...imo

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
I like Sandin as much as the next guy but let's not get carried away. Rielly is a far better defenseman today than Sandin is
I doubt we can re-sign Rielly. If we can get a great return for him, i think we should take it. I am very bullish on Sandin. I think he is capable of being a better overall player than Rielly. I think it's time to give him a bigger role.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
I doubt we can re-sign Rielly. If we can get a great return for him, i think we should take it. I am very bullish on Sandin. I think he is capable of being a better overall player than Rielly. I think it's time to give him a bigger role.

Sandin is not projecting close to what Rielly is now, let's be honest. Rielly was a top 5 pick and when he stepped into the NHL there was no question that he was going to be on the team the following year. With Sandin its a question still. His skill set is extremely overrated by our fans just like a majority of our players. This is why everyone gets a big contract once their current one is done when playing for the leafs.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I'm good with that. I just get tired of the way many here speak about Rielly like he's garbage. I think if we can't sign him we absolutely need to move him, but we need roster players back.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Trade Mo to LA let them sign him and we get the eighth overall. Sign Hamilton to a 7.75 mill x 7 years. Trade Holl for an equal winger, and we still have just over 6 mill to spend on 1 more LW and a tandem goalie.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Suter - Kyle make it happen and the contracts are forgiven.:naughty:

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
We ain’t winning jackshit next year anyway might as well trade him and get something in return. The other positive is that I won’t have to watch him take a shitty wrister into a defenders shin pads causing an odd man rush the other way ever again.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Some Leafs fans: 'the only thing that matters is the playoffs'.
Morgan Rielly: 15th best P/G the last five years in the playoffs, partnered with less than Allstar worthy partners save this past season, with a forward group that has consistently underperformed in the scoring department, with: Jones, Pietroangelo and Slavin being the three players immediately in front of him.
Some Leaf fans: 'trade Morgan today, Sandin can replace his production.'

Me: :huh::rolleyes: :help:

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
After seeing what other D have gotten on the market, Id move Morgan up to the 'lets do it' level of trade excitement.

Bust

Jul 28, 2016
Some Leafs fans: 'the only thing that matters is the playoffs'.
Morgan Rielly: 15th best P/G the last five years in the playoffs, partnered with less than Allstar worthy partners save this past season, with a forward group that has consistently underperformed in the scoring department, with: Jones, Pietroangelo and Slavin being the three players immediately in front of him.
Some Leaf fans: 'trade Morgan today, Sandin can replace his production.'

Me: :huh::rolleyes: :help:

i think as a fanbase we get caught up with raw production. Especially in the playoffs. Which is understandable based on some of the shortcomings of our top forwards.

however, (without stat checking) I’m sure the MTL d men didn’t put up massive points on the backend during their run. I think this is now where the division is. It’s not what Rielly brings to the table, it’s what he doesn’t bring - a net front presence, that mean SOB personality, crease clearing ability. I think some fans are looking for some change, and I think by trading Rielly, it would I’ve us a completely new element for our top pairing.

let me just add, I’m not sure who this mystery, top pairing, mean dude is coming from. Just an observation. Big Rielly fan BTW.

I’d also like to add, Hamilton would not be the answer. He’s similar to Rielly (Hamilton’s got a better shot) in playing style, and would end up costing more. He’s also not a fit with Brodie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad