Confirmed with Link: Rielly signs 8 year extension - 7.5M AAV

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
Makes you wonder, what kind of morons are controlling the purse in SJ?
Let's not re-write history... JT was the biggest UFA to sign in his prime in many, many years. It is extremely rare that such a player is available. Let's not forget he scored 47 goals in his first year here, and is still a top line/franchise center... a guy that is a no-doubter for Team Canada.

Reactions: Kurtz

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
But, it ties the Leafs hands because of the big 4. If Marner or JT were being paid a reasonable $$$, then maybe ok fir Reilly. But on this team, this us way too much tied up for a player not elite. It stops us from getting an elite d man even if we could trade Marner even up for one.
Okay so let me get this straight

because we overpaid other players… underpaying one is a bad thing?

Reactions: Burkeocet

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Where would the $9M for Hamilton have come from?

I believe I stated this early in the offseason before we picked up our current backup goalie and other players and assumed the movement of Reillys $5M contract. I was much higher on Petrioangelo than Hamilton a year later as I view him as a multi-faceted, deep minute defenseman. Hamilton is no slouch though.

Reilly is making $7.5M going forward, which is decent value in the opinion of many. Realistically, would an extra $1.5M a year to take on Hamiltons contract for the next few years have been unfeasible to achieve? It's a matter of which player addresses the current needs the most. The argument is that Reilly is near Hamiltons contract value in the current market. Some of this is related to supply/demand, market timing and I'm not blind to Reillys value.

Keeping Reilly at $7.5M isn't a bad outcome at all. I like him as a player and he is part of a strong top four when they play physical. I've seen him handle tough assignments with authority at times. There is also legitimate Goodwill value in him as a long time player and presence of his character that all teams admire. There is more than one way to skin...ah, you know the saying.

Due to cap restraints, having an indisputable deep minute #1 D Man is the easiest way to stabilize the team for a playoff run. It's a question of which player best represents that and at what cost.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I believe I stated this early in the offseason before we picked up our current backup goalie and other players and assumed the movement of Reillys $5M contract.

I'm sorry, I still don't understand your math.

Are you thinking we could move Rielly's $5M for no cap return and not sign Mrazek in order to find the $9M for Hamilton?

It's nice on paper, but I question it's realism. (plus we still would need a 2nd goalie)

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I'm sorry, I still don't understand your math.

Are you thinking we could move Rielly's $5M for no cap return and not sign Mrazek in order to find the $9M for Hamilton?

It's nice on paper, but I question it's realism. (plus we still would need a 2nd goalie)

The market wasn't set yet. Hamilton and others received more than expected. Nor was I convinced that this teams core should/would return in its entirety.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Honestly I don’t see how we can keep Marner around after this.

Yes it’s possible, but it’s a very weak team to pull off.

Something will have to give.

It's hard to see, isn't it. Should have moved him in the summer, I think there's a good chance that his value will never be higher than it was at that point.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
No I'm saying it hasn't gone up 25 %. The Brodie contract is much better AINEC.

These really aren't comparable contracts. Brodie is better defensively, yet Rielly is clearly superior in terms of offence. Rielly makes 50% more in AAV but his contract runs for double the amount of term.

london flyer

Jan 2, 2018
Let's not re-write history... JT was the biggest UFA to sign in his prime in many, many years. It is extremely rare that such a player is available. Let's not forget he scored 47 goals in his first year here, and is still a top line/franchise center... a guy that is a no-doubter for Team Canada.

london flyer

Jan 2, 2018
tavares is far from a sure thing for team Canada much younger faster better options his game has declined and his speed is not worthy

Reactions: horner

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
It's hard to see, isn't it. Should have moved him in the summer, I think there's a good chance that his value will never be higher than it was at that point.

I’d say his perceived value was low this summer. (However I would have still moved him)

I don’t think anyone expected him to look as poor to start the season as he has.

I think this is it for Mitch in Toronto. Unless this team shocks me come the playoffs (if we even get there - Florida looks incredible top to bottom, Detroit looks very competitive, Buffalo I don’t buy their hot start tbh, Tampa looks to be turning it around, and Boston is Boston, while in terms of wildcard, I’d say at least 4 of the Atlantic teams look better than us early on)

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
tavares is far from a sure thing for team Canada much younger faster better options his game has declined and his speed is not worthy
As a Leafs fan I hope he makes it. But I agree, I wouldn't be shocked in the least if he's left off the roster. Marner should make it if he turns around his garbage play. And Rielly should make it too imo

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I’d say his perceived value was low this summer. (However I would have still moved him)

I don’t think anyone expected him to look as poor to start the season as he has.

I think this is it for Mitch in Toronto. Unless this team shocks me come the playoffs (if we even get there - Florida looks incredible top to bottom, Detroit looks very competitive, Buffalo I don’t buy their hot start tbh, Tampa looks to be turning it around, and Boston is Boston, while in terms of wildcard, I’d say at least 4 of the Atlantic teams look better than us early on)

Low is a relative term but I think his value was perceived to be higher everywhere but in this town. After all he was coming off a 1st team all-star season, how low could his value possibly be? You could argue that playoffs are small sample size etc. and pull out the advanced stats that say he played well in the playoffs and so on. In any case, his value next summer is likely to be lower than it was and the only thing preventing that outcome is a deep playoff run. Anything's possible but at this point, I don't think many of us would be betting on that happening.

In terms of this being it for Mitch - interesting prediction. Hard to see Doobie ever trading him but on the other hand, if we don't have playoff success soon who knows how long he'll be around and if whoever is in charge finally decides it's time to move a core piece, Marner is by far the most obvious choice to be moved. These are (unfortunately) interesting times in Leaf Nation to be sure.

I still say we're going to make the playoffs and do so comfortably. Interesting to see how the cup odds have shifted though. I just had a look for the first time in a while, at the start of the season we were IIRC the 4th favourite behind COL, TB and Vegas. Now we've been passed by FLA, BOS and EDM and we're tied with CAR for 7th. That actually seems generous, I'd have CAR ahead of us as of today and probably NYI too. But I digress ...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Mo was pretty much the best pending UFA defenceman on the market.
Based on that alone, pretty reasonable to think this was a pretty good discount from what the market might offer.
Career Leaf has a nice ring to it.
He took an AAV hit, but is probably made whole on the 8th year.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

I don't think you can move on from Mitch unless you have guarantees that Matthews is going to re-up, and I don't think we have those.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018

We all play the GM game, it's easy as armchair QBs as we don't deal with ownership, internal debate and, personal relationships/histories with players.

I've stated my piece about what I would do, as have others. As it were, I'm not as loyal to particular players. I do believe there is a place for loyalty, the Reilly deal might be a case in point. Loyalty to certain players makes sense, to others it defies logic, especially when my eyes and instincts tell me that their character leaves something to be desired.

I felt that Dubas trades have been good, even very good to date. I defended the Kadri trade and still do believe he received more than fair value. Muzzin was a steal, even as he along with others is off to a sub-par start. I believed that Simmonds was the right signing, Bogosian caught me off guard and it was at this point I was of the belief that Dubas was not just a static GM.

Foligno, Ritchie, letting Andersen walk. All make sense to me, regardless of how they turn out. These aren't forced decisions, they are intentional. I also believe that Ho-Sang will eventually play a role on this team if his work ethic and attitude is any indication.

What doesn't make sense is the unmoveable belief in certain players. Maybe it's as much a case of them being less moveable (for reasonable value) as it is the Leafs belief in them. I don't know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary Nylund

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Compared to the deals Hamilton, MacAvoy, Werenski, Jones and Nurse signed, Rielly @ 7.5x8 is a
fantastic deal for the Leafs. Sure would have been better for the Leafs if it was a 6 year deal but you gotta give to get and if you are going to spend a bit more, may as well spend it on a guy who wants to be here for the rest of his career.

At the end of the day @diceman934 was creditable when he said the initial deal was 6.5x8 with a full NMC. Seems it cost the Leafs $1m per to remove the NMC for the last 2 years.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don't personally believe 7.5 mil is worth it for a guy who is in the bottom 2% of the league defensively. Again, yes if he was actually a good offensive defenseman and not just a puck mover whose feet move faster than his brain. We don't have the defensive core to insulate him. People can make all the arguments they want that it's fair value for Rielly and that's fine.. I just don't think his skillset is a good 7.5 million cap hit investment for our team.
Personally I wanted to see this whole defense get redone.

This move just indicates that they want to double down on the current makeup of this team.

The timing is what I find funny too. Dubas is getting utterly slammed on the media/social media circles so what better way to divert attention than a big signing. Best of all, they had the notorious media shills come out and say "Vancouver was ready to offer Rielly $10M x 7!!!"

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't think you can move on from Mitch unless you have guarantees that Matthews is going to re-up, and I don't think we have those.

If the return for Marner works, it is irrelevant what Matty does in 3 years IMO. My only concern is if moving Mitch pisses off Matty. It is becoming quite clear that you cannot compete if you are paying a playmaking winger $11m who is not a difference maker on his own when you already are paying 22.634 to two centres.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Okay so let me get this straight

because we overpaid other players… underpaying one is a bad thing?
We dud not underpayment Reilly. He is over rated. Not worth 7.5m.
But as I said, it is made worse as a result of other miss steps, now we cannot get an elite dman.
Point is an elite dman at 9 plus Reilly at 6 would be reasonable.
We are screwed now.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Personally I wanted to see this whole defense get redone.

This move just indicates that they want to double down on the current makeup of this team.

The timing is what I find funny too. Dubas is getting utterly slammed on the media/social media circles so what better way to divert attention than a big signing. Best of all, they had the notorious media shills come out and say "Vancouver was ready to offer Rielly $10M x 7!!!"

This deal just means Rielly is here for the next 6 years. Somebody is now on the clock to be moved in the off season to make it all work. Anything other than winning at least 2 rounds all but guarantees one of the big 4 will be moved this offseason IMO.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
We dud not underpayment Reilly. He is over rated. Not worth 7.5m.
But as I said, it is made worse as a result of other miss steps, now we cannot get an elite dman.
Point is an elite dman at 9 plus Reilly at 6 would be reasonable.
We are screwed now.

Problem is:

1. Where are you going to get this $9m elite dman ??
2. You are not getting a Rielly @ 6m after the deals dmen have been signing.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This deal just means Rielly is here for the next 6 years. Somebody is now on the clock to be moved in the off season to make it all work. Anything other than winning at least 2 rounds all but guarantees one of the big 4 will be moved this offseason IMO.
Leaving this signing 'til the deadline would have been the better move IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad