Confirmed with Link: Rielly signs 8 year extension - 7.5M AAV

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Mo was pretty much the best pending UFA defenceman on the market.
Based on that alone, pretty reasonable to think this was a pretty good discount from what the market might offer.
Career Leaf has a nice ring to it.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
When this popped up on my phone I was really surprised but the AAV is very good for the team.

Congratulations Mo on signing what I believe is the longest deal in Leaf history
Mo can come off PP1 now and it won’t feel like he’s lost opportunities in a contract year
Kerfoot must feel like the guy on Galaxy Quest in the third-jersey uniform

geo25

Sep 28, 2017
Good guy Mo’. What a champ, good deal for a good guy. The first thing that’s made me smile this season.
REILLY aint worth that money on an 8 year deal. Terrible defensively, muffin shot, soft as butter, million dollar legs & 10 cent brain. Another nail in the Leafs coffin. That $ could have been better allocated by a GM not named Dubas. When you dont learn from History you're doomed to repeat it. We need new mgmt starting from the President on down. IF, And a big IF, we make the playoffs, this team will not win a round......I'm an older fan and miss the teams of the 60's~90's+ ...they were likeable, had a good work ethic, had an identity, stood up for one another and were proud of the uniform. Today's team pales in comparison...they are a collection of "me first" players. Guess what? The 'Muskoka Five' five are still here.....

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Still have not herd SIC, from the board post one dman in the NHL, that skates better than Morgan...

Probably because there isn't one...

Is this a guy, that all of us, want to tweak, so he invites Orr comparisons...

If you give part of your life to these crazy leafs, ya, course you do...

But you cannot find me or dubas, a better skating dman than this great guy...

Unless Housley or niedemeyer suit up, there just isnt anyone...

So you try to keep the best skating dman in the league.. At least I would..

And they did...

kinda big, if you ask me....

Hire a friend of mine to coach rielly and marner how to scare people with a slap shot, and wow, quite a team.. problem is, the shot will probably go high and miss the keepers ears most times, but..................... nothing wrong with scaring goal keepers...

This guy is a real talent in terms of skating, it would have been awful to see him skating around for minutes with puck justs to piss all of us off... He could have been an orr, but he is way too unselfish...

Still, he is the best skater in the nhl on d...

u cannot buy that or let it go, WIN dubas.
So he can skate....what is this Ice Capades? Him and Tessa can do a nice ice dance.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
REILLY aint worth that money on an 8 year deal. Terrible defensively, muffin shot, soft as butter, million dollar legs & 10 cent brain. Another nail in the Leafs coffin. That $ could have been better allocated by a GM not named Dubas. When you dont learn from History you're doomed to repeat it. We need new mgmt starting from the President on down. IF, And a big IF, we make the playoffs, this team will not win a round......I'm an older fan and miss the teams of the 60's~90's+ ...they were likeable, had a good work ethic, had an identity, stood up for one another and were proud of the uniform. Today's team pales in comparison...they are a collection of "me first" players. Guess what? The 'Muskoka Five' five are still here.....

I think you’re shell shocked sir. Rielly has done nothing but perform for this organization. Kaberle faced similar criticism in his day, yet in reality he was a great defenseman.

FYI His ppg over the last 4 seasons is around .72. You don’t think that’s worth 7.5 alone?

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
5 players account for 60% of the cap. Let that sink in

This should frighten everyone...especially because none of them have proven anything and have been extremely disappointing since last year's playoffs.

Dubas has done so much damage to this team....

What could have been BD (Before Dubas)

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
But why get rid of one of the few who DOES show up?
I like Mo. I really do. But he's always been overrated imho. He's not a #1 dman. He's a Robin not a Batman. He's part of the core that can't get it done.

Now that being said....I was pretty pleased with deal as I think it's very tradeable. Until I saw the 6 year nmc hahaha. If we can find him another cheap stay at home partner line Hainsey he's pretty good. But the problem is he doesn't make his partners better. So if we have to allot cap for a partner to make him useful.... He's even more expensive.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Honestly I don’t see how we can keep Marner around after this.

Yes it’s possible, but it’s a very weak team to pull off.

Something will have to give.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
We have nobody close to replacing what he brings to our Blueline. As a top UFA Dman this coming off-season, at 27 years of age, he could have definitely fetched 9mil per.
I also love what this says about our team though. It's a hectic market to play in, and Rielly has been here the longest. He has seen no success in getting past the first round on this team surrounded by turmoil, and he re-ups for max term. He's going to be wearing that "A" on his chest for a very long time.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Keep playing be a gm.

Ok, I will feed the troll, this time only since it's a Saturday.

I post these ideas on here like many fans do.
Does that upset you or ruin your day?

Perhaps you could lead a discussion group and direct a conversation that is more agreeable to your palette.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I like Mo. I really do. But he's always been overrated imho. He's not a #1 dman. He's a Robin not a Batman. He's part of the core that can't get it done.

Now that being said....I was pretty pleased with deal as I think it's very tradeable. Until I saw the 6 year nmc hahaha. If we can find him another cheap stay at home partner line Hainsey he's pretty good. But the problem is he doesn't make his partners better. So if we have to allot cap for a partner to make him useful.... He's even more expensive.
I like Rielly but the problem is it’s the same thing (core) that has been failing. Now just making more money. If something up front is changing ok, if not…we’ll, same thing.

Reactions: yubbers

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
I slept on this deal.... I think its a great deal, for all involved... Rielly is still young.. He still might go out to the garage and develop a huge clapper...Imagine that....

But is anyone going to tell me this guy isnt worth what fuggin Nylander is making... Anyone.....

BTW...Is anyone out there loving the Atlanta BRAVES.... I have really taken to them I LOVED our former gm alex A, a ton.....And I have a JAYS feeling watching these guys...

Super cool city, always loved going there, along with Chicago and Boston...

For some reason, I have really gotten kinda involved. Its fun...

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
of course there was a massive discount

Elliott just reported that his home town team Van was preparing to offer him at least 10m x 7 yrs if he became a ufa , lol .

Just like marner and matthews were going to get huge offer sheets.

Seems like a way to convince the fans that their team got a good deal.

Decent deal but wouldn't call it a discount. Mo hasn't really improved and in fact has been getting worse from his peak a couple years ago.

Also, this proves my original thought that Mo should've been made captain. The guy clearly wants to stay even though he has had no success. A classy individual.

Reactions: Rogue Leader

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
If the PP shows any basic level of competency then Rielly can outperform this contract. We just can't have him standing stationary at the blue line during the 1-3-1. Mo's elite skating and very good vision need to be used to open up lanes so the team isn't committing to either stationary shots or just wasting 40-60 seconds trying to set up a one timer from the outside.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
This should frighten everyone...especially because none of them have proven anything and have been extremely disappointing since last year's playoffs.

Dubas has done so much damage to this team....

What could have been BD (Before Dubas)

What really could’ve been done different? This team has 5 players that are more or less worth big contracts. Maybe they are cumulatively overpaid by about 3mill, but having too many good players that needed to be paid was a weird problem to have.

The only option to change direction then, is the same opportunity available now, to trade one of them.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Just wanted to add, that I think, Dubas signing maybe the classiest guy on the team to a nice contract, will have a calming effect on the team, the city, leafnation.... Might be the chill this team has needed for years....Just a hunch...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad