Proposal: Rielly for Trouba

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I would do this if Rielly were signed longer, we really can’t afford to give him and Zibanejad big raises in 2 years

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Reilly only has 2 years left on his contract - and we likely won’t be legit contender during that period so adding Reilly at the expense is Trouba makes absolutely no sense, especially when there’s no guarantee he re-signs here.

Moving Trouba also forces one is ADA or Fox as our 1RD, and while I REALLY like both players, neither is ready to play 25 minutes a night against the toughest matchups.

This isn’t a question of value. The OP’s proposal makes no sense for the Rangers short-term and long-term.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Leafs fans. I want you to read this. When you make a proposal. Think about the other team as the Leafs and then think “would i do this trade if the other team was my team”. Would you trade a Dman signed for 8 more years while retaining 1 mill a year for a dman signed for 2 years and a cap dump?
For an elite Dman that you think can resign, probably ya. Obviously you would have to get rid of the retention on NYR part, which is kinda silly and unnecessary. There are other ways to balance out the cap.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I agree it's a poor premise for a proposal but are most Ranger fans happy with Trouba? That wasn't my impression at all.

There are a couple of young kids who just started watching hockey who dislike Trouba.

Kids that have zero concept of the game and overlook all the good Trouba does every night, yet go out of their ways to magnify every mistake - even when he’s not at fault 1/2 the time.

I’m sure every fanbase has posters like that.

Reactions: pld459666

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Trouba specifically wanted to go to New York to be close to his girlfriend. Pretty much gave Winnipeg one team where he would go.
I have no reason to think Trouba would want to play in Toronto any more than Winnipeg.

He seems happy in the Big Apple but was a total pain in the ass for the Jets and I would not want him anywhere near the Leafs.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
For an elite Dman that you think can resign, probably ya. Obviously you would have to get rid of the retention on NYR part, which is kinda silly and unnecessary. There are other ways to balance out the cap.
I think many might have a different definition of elite.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
I say it because non physical players age better historically....

I think he will be like 28 when his contract is up so the difference of when his contract ends will be like 2 or 3 years. Not too much a difference to be honest but I understand if your worried he may walk in 3 years

The best part of the Trouba trade was signing a guy to a 7 year deal that ends when he’s 32 because it means you got him in his prime years. Reilly is getting a 7-8 year deal at 28, so a team has to worry about when he starts to really decline while under that deal.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
I think many might have a different definition of elite.
Guy put up 20 goals 72 points last year and was a beast at both ends of the ice. He is not as good this year, and is still tracking for a 50 point season (before he fractured his foot). The year before he put up 50+ points, he is 24 and is signed for $5M with 2 years left after this season. The player isn't available. You would need more than Trouba to make that trade.

Mar 26, 2010
I get that Rielly has had a tough season with injuries and now out on LTIR, but he will bounce bounce back. He is too good of a D man.

Trouba is also a very good D man, neither team is trading.

Reactions: pld459666

Ledge And Dairy

You can almost do this if you launder the deal through a third team. Two 50% retentions allows for $3.375M in total retention. But I agree that this si not the real issue here.
(looks like no one responded to this)

No, a contract can only be retained up to 50% of the original contract. Regardless of a 3rd team being involved the minimum the team that has Reilly can be paying him 2.5M (50% of his current contract). There is no laundering work around.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
So, the Rangers trade Trouba, who will make 8 mil a year for the next 6 years, for Reilly, who will need a new contract in 2 years, at the age of 28, and will almost certainly cost more than 8 mil a year, while retaining 1 mil on Trouba.

Easy no. Most Ranger fans are happy with what Trouba has brought to the team.
I love how you've framed this as if this is bad for the Rangers. It's truly incredible, even by hf standards.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Rielly + Ceci ($2.25 mil retained) for Trouba ($1 mil retained)

Why for the Leafs?
Leafs are in talks to extend Muzzin, and Sandin is looking pretty NHL ready. This would leave us with a real glut of LDs next year - Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin. Plus, if both Sandin and Liljegren make the team next year, 4 of our dmen would be 6-foot-ish 2-way PMDs (Rielly, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren), and there's diminishing returns on having so many players with similar games.

Trouba is a big, physical, top pairing RD, he balances out the defence a lot, and if the Rangers retain $1 mil AAV, his $7 mil cap can fit on the team without us having to gut our wingers.

Why for the Rangers?
IMO Rielly is a better dman than Trouba, if you have a chance to upgrade your #1 dman, you should give it a very good look. Plus Trouba has been a mediocre fit in NY so far, hasn't looked as good as he did in Winnipeg. Also, DeAngelo and Fox are two RDs that have been having great seasons in the NHL, while Nils Lundkvist has been having a great season in Sweden, they could be looking at their own glut of RDs soon (Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist).

They retain $1 mil in Trouba's salary, but Rielly makes $5 mil/year, so it's still $6 mil vs. the current $8 mil they pay for Trouba. Ceci is just a cheap stopgap, expires this year and no longer needed in Toronto with Trouba, gives NYR a bottom pairing RD for the rest of the season, who they could potentially extend if they like him. Rielly is currently out with a broken foot, which hurts NYR this season, but they're 2nd last in their division and unlikely to make playoffs anyways. Rielly will be back later this season, and it's an injury that generally doesn't have longterm concerns.

I think the main concern is that Trouba is signed for 7 years, vs. 3 for Rielly, but that's tonnes of time to work on an extension. New York is a great place to live, they could probably get it done.

OR, and this is an idea too, you DON'T trade Morgan

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
(looks like no one responded to this)

No, a contract can only be retained up to 50% of the original contract. Regardless of a 3rd team being involved the minimum the team that has Reilly can be paying him 2.5M (50% of his current contract). There is no laundering work around.
This is not true. The actual rule is that each team can retain up to 50% of the portion of the contract they are responsible for. There are several limits placed on retention. Most of those are with reference to a single team (50%, no more than 3 at any time, no more than 15% of the cap). The rule for multiple retentions is that a single contract can only be traded with retention at most twice.

The example that shows what I claimed is true is the Dubnyk trade.

The Oilers traded Dubnyk to Nashville with 50% retention. Nashville then traded Dubnyk to Montreal with 50% retention of their portion or 25% of the original amount. Together this meant that of Dubnyk's $3.5M in salary, The Oilers were on the hook for $1.75M, the Preds for $.875M and Montreal was on the hook for $.875M.

Frankly I am surprised that we do not see more trades like this since they could make disposing of problem contracts much easier.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Guy put up 20 goals 72 points last year and was a beast at both ends of the ice. He is not as good this year, and is still tracking for a 50 point season (before he fractured his foot). The year before he put up 50+ points, he is 24 and is signed for $5M with 2 years left after this season. The player isn't available. You would need more than Trouba to make that trade.
He is a dumpster fire in his own end and has been for his entire career. He jumps into the offense more than any D I have watched (maybe Karlsson), so I expect him to put up points. I'm not discounting his offensive ability, just pointing out his defensive liability.
Trouba isn't worth his contract either, but, he is an above average defender. I will take that every day before taking on a defensive nightmare like Reilly.
Keep him.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I'd like to hear why you think that Morgan Rielly is a "significant upgrade" on Jacob Trouba.

What is that opinion based on?
Because he put up a lot of points last year.
The guys defensive play is just bad. Trying to make the case that it is anything other than bad makes one lose credibility.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
He is a dumpster fire in his own end and has been for his entire career. He jumps into the offense more than any D I have watched (maybe Karlsson), so I expect him to put up points. I'm not discounting his offensive ability, just pointing out his defensive liability.
Trouba isn't worth his contract either, but, he is an above average defender. I will take that every day before taking on a defensive nightmare like Reilly.
Keep him.
Guessing you dont watch him or the leafs much because he doesnt even jump into the offensive zone as often as other defenders on his own team lol. Just a real bad take in general from somehow who clearly doesnt watch the player they are so sure about

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Guessing you dont watch him or the leafs much because he doesnt even jump into the offensive zone as often as other defenders on his own team lol. Just a real bad take in general from somehow who clearly doesnt watch the player they are so sure about
Wrong. I watch him plenty. It is uncanny how consistently poor he is in his own end.
If he doesn't jump into the offense as much as his team mates, I must be watching a different game.

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS
This seems a little strange to me to be honest. Rielly is the better player signed for 3 million dollars less per season for the next 3 years. It is hard to predict the cap in 3 years but I doubt he will make 3 million more than Trouba is making now (I.e 11 million) so the difference in their total contract value over the duration of trouba'a contract (next 7 years) will likely be very similar if not in Rielly's favor. Dont see him ageing particularly bad either as he is only 25 at the moment, not physical and is a great skater etc

Edit: not commenting on value but I think Rielly's contact increases his value not the opposite

under the major assumption that the Rangers are able to resign him when his 2+ years are up, and the “Savings” are enjoyed in NY

him being signed to a deal just north of Trouba by a different team does nothing for the Rags

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Wrong. I watch him plenty. It is uncanny how consistently poor he is in his own end.
If he doesn't jump into the offense as much as his team mates, I must be watching a different game.
I dont think you do if you think he jumps into the offensive more than anyone but EK. This year alone Barrie/Dermott pinches up into the offense way way more often than Rielly has.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad