Proposal: Rielly for Trouba

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Rielly + Ceci ($2.25 mil retained) for Trouba ($1 mil retained)

Why for the Leafs?
Leafs are in talks to extend Muzzin, and Sandin is looking pretty NHL ready. This would leave us with a real glut of LDs next year - Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin. Plus, if both Sandin and Liljegren make the team next year, 4 of our dmen would be 6-foot-ish 2-way PMDs (Rielly, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren), and there's diminishing returns on having so many players with similar games.

Trouba is a big, physical, top pairing RD, he balances out the defence a lot, and if the Rangers retain $1 mil AAV, his $7 mil cap can fit on the team without us having to gut our wingers.

Why for the Rangers?
IMO Rielly is a better dman than Trouba, if you have a chance to upgrade your #1 dman, you should give it a very good look. Plus Trouba has been a mediocre fit in NY so far, hasn't looked as good as he did in Winnipeg. Also, DeAngelo and Fox are two RDs that have been having great seasons in the NHL, while Nils Lundkvist has been having a great season in Sweden, they could be looking at their own glut of RDs soon (Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist).

They retain $1 mil in Trouba's salary, but Rielly makes $5 mil/year, so it's still $6 mil vs. the current $8 mil they pay for Trouba. Ceci is just a cheap stopgap, expires this year and no longer needed in Toronto with Trouba, gives NYR a bottom pairing RD for the rest of the season, who they could potentially extend if they like him. Rielly is currently out with a broken foot, which hurts NYR this season, but they're 2nd last in their division and unlikely to make playoffs anyways. Rielly will be back later this season, and it's an injury that generally doesn't have longterm concerns.

I think the main concern is that Trouba is signed for 7 years, vs. 3 for Rielly, but that's tonnes of time to work on an extension. New York is a great place to live, they could probably get it done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
You notice that ADA and Fox have been great in NY but fail to notice how Trouba balances that by bringing a different skillset, all the while saying Toronto needs a more balanced skillset. Meanwhile your entire rationale for NY retaining salary on Trouba is to help Toronto stay under the cap. Jesus Christ.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So, the Rangers trade Trouba, who will make 8 mil a year for the next 6 years, for Reilly, who will need a new contract in 2 years, at the age of 28, and will almost certainly cost more than 8 mil a year, while retaining 1 mil on Trouba.

Easy no. Most Ranger fans are happy with what Trouba has brought to the team.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
You can't retain 3.5M on a 4.5M contract, but I don't think that's the biggest problem fans will have with the proposal.
You can almost do this if you launder the deal through a third team. Two 50% retentions allows for $3.375M in total retention. But I agree that this si not the real issue here.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Rielly + Ceci ($2.25 mil retained) for Trouba ($1 mil retained)

Why for the Leafs?
Leafs are in talks to extend Muzzin, and Sandin is looking pretty NHL ready. This would leave us with a real glut of LDs next year - Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin. Plus, if both Sandin and Liljegren make the team next year, 4 of our dmen would be 6-foot-ish 2-way PMDs (Rielly, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren), and there's diminishing returns on having so many players with similar games.

Trouba is a big, physical, top pairing RD, he balances out the defence a lot, and if the Rangers retain $1 mil AAV, his $7 mil cap can fit on the team without us having to gut our wingers.

Why for the Rangers?
IMO Rielly is a better dman than Trouba, if you have a chance to upgrade your #1 dman, you should give it a very good look. Plus Trouba has been a mediocre fit in NY so far, hasn't looked as good as he did in Winnipeg. Also, DeAngelo and Fox are two RDs that have been having great seasons in the NHL, while Nils Lundkvist has been having a great season in Sweden, they could be looking at their own glut of RDs soon (Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist).

They retain $1 mil in Trouba's salary, but Rielly makes $5 mil/year, so it's still $6 mil vs. the current $8 mil they pay for Trouba. Ceci is just a cheap stopgap, expires this year and no longer needed in Toronto with Trouba, gives NYR a bottom pairing RD for the rest of the season, who they could potentially extend if they like him. Rielly is currently out with a broken foot, which hurts NYR this season, but they're 2nd last in their division and unlikely to make playoffs anyways. Rielly will be back later this season, and it's an injury that generally doesn't have longterm concerns.

I think the main concern is that Trouba is signed for 7 years, vs. 3 for Rielly, but that's tonnes of time to work on an extension. New York is a great place to live, they could probably get it done.
Way to sneak Ceci in there.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
You notice that ADA and Fox have been great in NY but fail to notice how Trouba balances that by bringing a different skillset, all the while saying Toronto needs a more balanced skillset. Meanwhile your entire rationale for NY retaining salary on Trouba is to help Toronto stay under the cap. Jesus Christ.
I mean, cap retention is always done to help teams stay under the cap.

Re: skillsets, NYR has more bigger, physical dmen like Skjei and Staal, so I think it's less of a concern. Clearly the main reason to do this is if they believe Rielly is a significantly better player than Trouba - I think so, but it's up for debate. If NYR agree though, you'd be looking at NYR upgrading on talent, while Toronto upgrade on fit/balance.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I mean, cap retention is always done to help teams stay under the cap.

Re: skillsets, NYR has more bigger, physical dmen like Skjei, Staal and Smith, so I think it's less of a concern. Clearly the main reason to do this is if they believe Rielly is a significantly better player than Trouba - I think so, but it's up for debate. If NYR agree though, you'd be looking at NYR upgrading on talent, while Toronto upgrade on fit/balance.
Smith isn’t even playing defense.

Reactions: Starat327

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Way to sneak Ceci in there.
Could easily be removed from the deal. Or, NYR could flip him at the deadline for a pick - he'd be a $2.25 mil expiring contract in this scenario, and he's a serviceable if unexciting bottom pairing dman, could see him returning a 3rd or 4th round pick. Main thought on including his is that, without him NYR would be left with just 2 RDs this season - Nils Lundkvist is a very promising prospect, but in Sweden at the moment. So he'd be a 1-year stopgap for the bottom pair RD spot.

Last edited:

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Leafs fans. I want you to read this. When you make a proposal. Think about the other team as the Leafs and then think “would i do this trade if the other team was my team”. Would you trade a Dman signed for 8 more years while retaining 1 mill a year for a dman signed for 2 years and a cap dump?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Leafs fans. I want you to read this. When you make a proposal. Think about the other team as the Leafs and then think “would i do this trade if the other team was my team”. Would you trade a Dman signed for 8 more years while retaining 1 mill a year for a dman signed for 2 years and a cap dump?
Not sure where you're getting 8 and 2 years from? Trouba is signed for 7 years, including this season, while Rielly is signed for 3 years, including this season. The gap would obviously be a major reservation for NYR, but it's also lots of time to try to get Rielly extended, a lot would depend on their confidence in getting that done.

Reactions: unitedstars87

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Seems like overall, Rangers fans don't like it. Would removing the retention on Trouba make a difference? Or is the main concern something more along the lines of:
  • Don't agree that Rielly is a significant upgrade on Trouba
  • The lower term on Rielly's deal is too big of an issue
  • Feel this leaves the team with too many PMDs, not enough size/grit

Reactions: pan43

devils29

Jan 9, 2019
Not sure where you're getting 8 and 2 years from? Trouba is signed for 7 years, including this season, while Rielly is signed for 3 years, including this season. The gap would obviously be a major reservation for NYR, but it's also lots of time to try to get Rielly extended, a lot would depend on their confidence in getting that done.
I got my years messed up but you get what I’m saying. Also I’m not calling out all leafs fans but the vast majority of lopsided trade proposals I see on here are leafs and Habs fans (obviously not greater volume so it causes Moreno proposals but still)

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Seems like overall, Rangers fans don't like it. Would removing the retention on Trouba make a difference? Or is the main concern something more along the lines of:
I’ll simplify it for you. You seem to have a good int be Leafs would do it. But you’re tying to get Ranger fans to think it’s not that bad.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure why the Rangers would do this due to contract status of Rielly.......seems like an easy no from NYR.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Op OP has a section on why for the Rangers. You just don't agree with the why? Besides, every team should think about the other team, not just the Leafs.

Reactions: pan43

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Not sure why the Rangers would do this due to contract status of Rielly.......seems like an easy no from NYR.
This seems a little strange to me to be honest. Rielly is the better player signed for 3 million dollars less per season for the next 3 years. It is hard to predict the cap in 3 years but I doubt he will make 3 million more than Trouba is making now (I.e 11 million) so the difference in their total contract value over the duration of trouba'a contract (next 7 years) will likely be very similar if not in Rielly's favor. Dont see him ageing particularly bad either as he is only 25 at the moment, not physical and is a great skater etc

Edit: not commenting on value but I think Rielly's contact increases his value not the opposite

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
Yeah would look great on the Rangers to trade him half a year into the contract he got after forcing his way to be available to them.

Leafs should go for a Scott Mayfield/Philippe Myers to put with Rielly even if it takes an overpayment

Don't see how Trouba's contract is a plus, for 8 you want more than he brings

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

All of this, plus the fact that we aren't trading a guy we just traded for, signed to a 7 year deal and are generally happy with.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’ll simplify it for you. You seem to have a good int be Leafs would do it. But you’re tying to get Ranger fans to think it’s not that bad.
I was thinking this might be appealing to both teams. i.e. "Leafs get a better fit, Rangers get a better player, while fit issues are smaller for them". If you don't agree that's fine.

Would be interested in having a discussion though. Like is this swap a total non-starter? Or is it interesting but needs tweaks, along the lines of "remove Trouba cap retention", "add a 1st from Toronto", that sort of thing.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
This seems a little strange to me to be honest. Rielly is the better player signed for 3 million dollars less per season for the next 3 years. It is hard to predict the cap in 3 years but I doubt he will make 3 million more than Trouba is making now (I.e 11 million) so the difference in their total contract value over the duration of trouba'a contract (next 7 years) will likely be very similar if not in Rielly's favor. Dont see him ageing particularly bad either as he is only 25 at the moment, not physical and is a great skater etc

Edit: not commenting on value but I think Rielly's contact increases his value not the opposite
Yeah, it's definitely arguable which contract is better. IMO Rielly is the better player, with a much lower AAV, but there's more risk - if you can't extend him, you get just 3 years of Rielly, including the current season.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad