Proposal: Rielly for Trouba

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
All of this, plus the fact that we aren't trading a guy we just traded for, signed to a 7 year deal and are generally happy with.
That's fair. Any changes you'd make to this deal where you'd strongly consider it? Or is the general idea of a Rielly/Trouba swap a non-starter, regardless of additions.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This seems a little strange to me to be honest. Rielly is the better player signed for 3 million dollars less per season for the next 3 years. It is hard to predict the cap in 3 years but I doubt he will make 3 million more than Trouba is making now (I.e 11 million) so the difference in their total contract value over the duration of trouba'a contract (next 7 years) will likely be very similar if not in Rielly's favor. Dont see him ageing particularly bad either as he is only 25 at the moment, not physical and is a great skater etc

Edit: not commenting on value but I think Rielly's contact increases his value not the opposite

You say Reilly is not physical as though that's a positive thing :laugh:

The bottom line concerning the contracts is that we don't want to sign him to a deal that will take him to age 35/36. Trouba's contract ends when he is 32.

Reactions: pld459666

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
This seems a little strange to me to be honest. Rielly is the better player signed for 3 million dollars less per season for the next 3 years. It is hard to predict the cap in 3 years but I doubt he will make 3 million more than Trouba is making now (I.e 11 million) so the difference in their total contract value over the duration of trouba'a contract (next 7 years) will likely be very similar if not in Rielly's favor. Dont see him ageing particularly bad either as he is only 25 at the moment, not physical and is a great skater etc

Edit: not commenting on value but I think Rielly's contact increases his value not the opposite
I think Trouba is actually the better player.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Rielly + Ceci ($2.25 mil retained) for Trouba ($1 mil retained)

Why for the Leafs?
Leafs are in talks to extend Muzzin, and Sandin is looking pretty NHL ready. This would leave us with a real glut of LDs next year - Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin. Plus, if both Sandin and Liljegren make the team next year, 4 of our dmen would be 6-foot-ish 2-way PMDs (Rielly, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren), and there's diminishing returns on having so many players with similar games.

Trouba is a big, physical, top pairing RD, he balances out the defence a lot, and if the Rangers retain $1 mil AAV, his $7 mil cap can fit on the team without us having to gut our wingers.

Why for the Rangers?
IMO Rielly is a better dman than Trouba, if you have a chance to upgrade your #1 dman, you should give it a very good look. Plus Trouba has been a mediocre fit in NY so far, hasn't looked as good as he did in Winnipeg. Also, DeAngelo and Fox are two RDs that have been having great seasons in the NHL, while Nils Lundkvist has been having a great season in Sweden, they could be looking at their own glut of RDs soon (Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist).

They retain $1 mil in Trouba's salary, but Rielly makes $5 mil/year, so it's still $6 mil vs. the current $8 mil they pay for Trouba. Ceci is just a cheap stopgap, expires this year and no longer needed in Toronto with Trouba, gives NYR a bottom pairing RD for the rest of the season, who they could potentially extend if they like him. Rielly is currently out with a broken foot, which hurts NYR this season, but they're 2nd last in their division and unlikely to make playoffs anyways. Rielly will be back later this season, and it's an injury that generally doesn't have longterm concerns.

I think the main concern is that Trouba is signed for 7 years, vs. 3 for Rielly, but that's tonnes of time to work on an extension. New York is a great place to live, they could probably get it done.

Sorry but this is a terrible trade for the Rangers. Reilly and Trouba in a vacuum are basically equal value but Trouba just signed an 8 year extension while Reilly will need a new contract in two more years.

The fact that you want them to take Ceci is beyond bad. Even if it is only 50%.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
You say Reilly is not physical as though that's a positive thing :laugh:

The bottom line concerning the contracts is that we don't want to sign him to a deal that will take him to age 35/36. Trouba's contract ends when he is 32.
I say it because non physical players age better historically....

I think he will be like 28 when his contract is up so the difference of when his contract ends will be like 2 or 3 years. Not too much a difference to be honest but I understand if your worried he may walk in 3 years

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Rielly + Ceci ($2.25 mil retained) for Trouba ($1 mil retained)

Why for the Leafs?
Leafs are in talks to extend Muzzin, and Sandin is looking pretty NHL ready. This would leave us with a real glut of LDs next year - Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott and Sandin. Plus, if both Sandin and Liljegren make the team next year, 4 of our dmen would be 6-foot-ish 2-way PMDs (Rielly, Dermott, Sandin and Liljegren), and there's diminishing returns on having so many players with similar games.

Trouba is a big, physical, top pairing RD, he balances out the defence a lot, and if the Rangers retain $1 mil AAV, his $7 mil cap can fit on the team without us having to gut our wingers.

Why for the Rangers?
IMO Rielly is a better dman than Trouba, if you have a chance to upgrade your #1 dman, you should give it a very good look. Plus Trouba has been a mediocre fit in NY so far, hasn't looked as good as he did in Winnipeg. Also, DeAngelo and Fox are two RDs that have been having great seasons in the NHL, while Nils Lundkvist has been having a great season in Sweden, they could be looking at their own glut of RDs soon (Trouba, DeAngelo, Fox, Lundkvist).

They retain $1 mil in Trouba's salary, but Rielly makes $5 mil/year, so it's still $6 mil vs. the current $8 mil they pay for Trouba. Ceci is just a cheap stopgap, expires this year and no longer needed in Toronto with Trouba, gives NYR a bottom pairing RD for the rest of the season, who they could potentially extend if they like him. Rielly is currently out with a broken foot, which hurts NYR this season, but they're 2nd last in their division and unlikely to make playoffs anyways. Rielly will be back later this season, and it's an injury that generally doesn't have longterm concerns.

I think the main concern is that Trouba is signed for 7 years, vs. 3 for Rielly, but that's tonnes of time to work on an extension. New York is a great place to live, they could probably get it done.
Someone doesn’t know what’s happening in Ranger land and it shows

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I mean, cap retention is always done to help teams stay under the cap.

Re: skillsets, NYR has more bigger, physical dmen like Skjei and Staal, so I think it's less of a concern. Clearly the main reason to do this is if they believe Rielly is a significantly better player than Trouba - I think so, but it's up for debate. If NYR agree though, you'd be looking at NYR upgrading on talent, while Toronto upgrade on fit/balance.

Neither Staal, nor Skjei are more physical than Trouba. Neither play on the right side either. And Staal very well might not be here next year.

Aside for a couple of young, foolish Rangers fans that don’t understand hockey, our fanbase has been pleased with what Trouba adds to team.

He’s ultimately not available. We’ve lacked a minute eating dmen of his ilk for a very long time.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Leafs fans. I want you to read this. When you make a proposal. Think about the other team as the Leafs and then think “would i do this trade if the other team was my team”. Would you trade a Dman signed for 8 more years while retaining 1 mill a year for a dman signed for 2 years and a cap dump?
Why not quote the OP? I can gaurentee you myself and the rest of the Leaf fans had no decision in this proposal. A leaf fan does not require the permission of every leafs fan worldwide to post a proposal.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
This is an awful deal for both sides. Could Toronto use a better RHD? Sure they could, but moving Rielly to do it is awful.

Leafs maybe get a rental for the immediate upgrade and make a forward for D move in the offseason.

Trouba has been perfectly fine in NY and he just signed long term. He got a NMC for a reason. We could use the LHD upgrade, but having to shell out probably close to $10M on Rielly in 2 years and then re-upping Zibanejad in 3 years, on top of the Panarin deal is a huge commitment to the cap.

Also the Rangers biggest surplus of prospects is on the left side. Maybe no true #1, but we're not in a stage where acquiring a top pair D and on top of that, the player being able to walk in the very near future.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Trouba specifically wanted to go to New York to be close to his girlfriend. Pretty much gave Winnipeg one team where he would go.

Reactions: Ciao

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
Trouba may be more physical than Rielly, but there's no evidence he is better defensively (He is the 1RD on the worst defensive team in the league) I would say Rielly is slightly better offensively. Both teams hold on to their guys here. Leafs because they really need that extra 3M in cap space right now, and the Rangers because Trouba is signed long term. Also, wasn't New York one of the only teams Trouba was willing to play in?

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Leafs fans. I want you to read this. When you make a proposal. Think about the other team as the Leafs and then think “would i do this trade if the other team was my team”. Would you trade a Dman signed for 8 more years while retaining 1 mill a year for a dman signed for 2 years and a cap dump?
Depends, how much better is the dman only signed for two more years? How much more will he want after that?
In this instance, Rielly is significantly better, and probably won’t be much more than 9 to re-sign when the time comes.
I’d consider the deal without NYR retaining.
Rielly AJ Bracco
Trouba Georgiev Andersson.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
So, the Rangers trade Trouba, who will make 8 mil a year for the next 6 years, for Reilly, who will need a new contract in 2 years, at the age of 28, and will almost certainly cost more than 8 mil a year, while retaining 1 mil on Trouba.

Easy no. Most Ranger fans are happy with what Trouba has brought to the team.
Especially if the best player in the deal is coming from the Rangers.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
So, the Rangers trade Trouba, who will make 8 mil a year for the next 6 years, for Reilly, who will need a new contract in 2 years, at the age of 28, and will almost certainly cost more than 8 mil a year, while retaining 1 mil on Trouba.

Easy no. Most Ranger fans are happy with what Trouba has brought to the team.

I agree it's a poor premise for a proposal but are most Ranger fans happy with Trouba? That wasn't my impression at all.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad