Proposal: Rielly for Trouba

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Leafs would be completely insane to trade Morgan Rielly.

However, if they were to do such a thing, I think it makes more sense for them to see if Florida would do something huge around Rielly for Ekblad+

Age is the same and both offer a new dynamic for the teams acquiring them.

With Yandle old in the tooth, Rielly would give the Cats a legit D anchor who could also run a PP that features Barkov and Huberdeau.

The Leafs get a big, RH defenseman who is still young and will fit with the long-term core that includes Matthews, Tavares, Marner, etc.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Seems like overall, Rangers fans don't like it. Would removing the retention on Trouba make a difference? Or is the main concern something more along the lines of:
  • Don't agree that Rielly is a significant upgrade on Trouba
  • The lower term on Rielly's deal is too big of an issue
  • Feel this leaves the team with too many PMDs, not enough size/grit

I think people have been harsh on the main idea. It’s far from the worst proposal I’ve seen and has some thought behind it that makes sense. I think the big issues are that (most) Rangers fans are enamored by what Trouba has brought. We really want a steadier LD to play next to him. That and Reilly only having a couple of years remaining are big issues. If they had the same contract, it would probably be more palatable, but Trouba also is really the only reliable guy with a physical presence. Staal shouldn’t be playing NHL hockey anymore. Skjei has good hit totals but isn’t really much of a physical presence and his inconsistency has Rangers fans wanting to move on and find an upgrade. Trouba is the anchor on the defense right now that takes all the tough minutes and brings some edge to the blue line. Rangers want to add more of that, not subtract it. Yes, we have similar issues (a glut on the right versus a glut on the left) but I think the Rangers just feel that they need what Trouba brings. In a vacuum the proposal really isn’t bad, but looking at the D core as a whole, it simply doesn’t make sense for NY.

Reactions: GAGLine

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I take it & run!

I don't understand why fans don't like this.

The Rangers are going to need to solve the RHD problem in some way by trading someone, and this trade gets a mediocre contract off our books and gives us an upgrade at our biggest position of need, LHD.

Trouba is the bigger and more physical player, but it's not as if the Rangers need big, physical defensemen. The only two smaller players on the defense are Fox and DeAngelo. Rielly is also an all situations defender that is a better player than Trouba.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would do this if Rielly were signed longer, we really can’t afford to give him and Zibanejad big raises in 2 years

Why not? If you get rid of Trouba, you open up cap space. Use the Trouba space for a Rielly contract. It probably will only be a little more than Trouba got.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
Leafs fans. I want you to read this. When you make a proposal. Think about the other team as the Leafs and then think “would i do this trade if the other team was my team”. Would you trade a Dman signed for 8 more years while retaining 1 mill a year for a dman signed for 2 years and a cap dump?
The whole thing is pretty funny as a Jets fan. Looking back, I recall hundreds of posts to the effect of "Trouba can't hold Rielly's strap," and now here's op saying even though he thinks Trouba isn't as good now, he'd like to pay Reilly plus.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I would be open to a Trouba for Rielly trade, but I'm not comfortable retaining money on Trouba's 7-year contract. While the $1M likely won't be a huge issue it restricts us in how we can retain on other players since you can have a maximum of three concurrent contracts with salary retention.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
He is a dumpster fire in his own end and has been for his entire career. He jumps into the offense more than any D I have watched (maybe Karlsson), so I expect him to put up points. I'm not discounting his offensive ability, just pointing out his defensive liability.
Trouba isn't worth his contract either, but, he is an above average defender. I will take that every day before taking on a defensive nightmare like Reilly.
Keep him.
Not sure we're talking about the same player. Rielly last year was a beast at both end of the ice. This year he has been spotty, but i would say he has still been pretty solid.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Not sure we're talking about the same player. Rielly last year was a beast at both end of the ice. This year he has been spotty, but i would say he has still been pretty solid.

Not that it has much to do with anything, but I always get a bit of a chuckle when people break down the failures of his game and purport to watch him closely, but can't even spell his name right :confused:

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
Not that it has much to do with anything, but I always get a bit of a chuckle when people break down the failures of his game and purport to watch him closely, but can't even spell his name right :confused:
Agreed.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Even if both teams wanted to do this trade I can't see Trouba agreeing to it. Let's remember he wanted out of Winnipeg and wanted to play for a team in the United States, plus he has a NMC until 2024 and a modified NTC for the last 2 years of his contract. So I'm going to assume that Toronto is not on his approved list of teams where he could be traded.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
Leafs fans. I want you to read this. When you make a proposal. Think about the other team as the Leafs and then think “would i do this trade if the other team was my team”. Would you trade a Dman signed for 8 more years while retaining 1 mill a year for a dman signed for 2 years and a cap dump?
I get your point dude, but the real value of both player isn't close, I see Rielly's value more than trouba that is the difference not many gm's do that deal one for one, forget the money because both teams have the though but the cap situation is not good..

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
This thread brings me back to good ol Jets-Leafs proposals of yesteryear. Those were the days

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad