Proposal: Rielly for an age equivilant RHD

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Provorov had a nice rookie year which put him in that kind of company, but not ahead yet.

I like Savard a ton. In many ways he was the real #1 dman for the jackets last year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Provorov had a nice rookie year which put him in that kind of company, but not ahead yet.

I like Savard a ton. In many ways he was the real #1 dman for the jackets last year.

Lol....in what kind of company? Reilly and Zaitsev got dominated by teams. Provy drug around Andrew MacDonald against top lines and kept them almost even.

The Leafs wish they had a Provorov to help push other guys into spots where they belong.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Would you consider David Savard to be a top-quality blueliner? Because that's where I see those guys.

* * *​

Provorov's ahead of every single one of them, and Gostisbehere's due for a bounce-back.

Don't you have any actual evidence besides "that's where I see them"

So Provorov? Counting guys because there going to "bounce Back" is a pretty weak argument

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Lol....in what kind of company? Reilly and Zaitsev got dominated by teams. Provy drug around Andrew MacDonald against top lines and kept them almost even.

The Leafs wish they had a Provorov to help push other guys into spots where they belong.

you're gonna have to stop looking at plus minus as a real stat.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Provorov would instantly becomes the Leafs best dman. Who are you kidding, zeke.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Don't you have any actual evidence besides "that's where I see them"

Number of high profile mistakes they make from game to game? Enough that they get a ton of grief and underrated, but not so much that they're actually bad - just not good enough for consistent top pairing work? Kind of like, say, Savard?

I watch Leafs games pretty regularly. That's what I've got.

So Provorov? Counting guys because there going to "bounce Back" is a pretty weak argument

True. Philly's blueline is still a work in progress. I just happen to think Ghost is getting similar unwarranted backlash. Maybe I should have mentioned Gudas instead, but that would be less a "he's clearly better" and more of a "they've got guys in that category". :dunno:

* * *​
I think it's clear what level of players they were on par with last year.

I'd assumed the same of Provorov, but apparently only one rookie blueliner is allowed to be looked at from year to year, and this time it was our turn.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The Leafs would trade Rielly in a heartbeat for Provorov. If you are being honest with yourself, you know know that.

Good luck with that Tri. Provorov is at best a #4. The objective hockey scouts of Team russia didnt even ask him to come to WCOH 2016.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
nah can't find any advanced stats for that tourney anymore.

But we know what the coaches thought:

TOI

Ekblad 1gms, 23:53 (0:00pp)
Rielly 3gms, 23:43 (2:35pp)
Ghost 3gms, 19:58 (3:56pp)
Parayko 3gms, 19:50 (2:37pp)
Jones 3gms, 18:10 (0:00pp)
Murray 3gms, 17:51 (0:00pp)
Trouba 2gms, 16:09 (0:00pp)

Wait, you don't want to use data from the last full season because the sample size is too small, and then you use ice time from 3 games in an exhibition tournament as evidence for a comparison???

You realize how ludicrous that is, right?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Wait, you don't want to use data from the last full season because the sample size is too small, and then you use ice time from 3 games in an exhibition tournament as evidence for a comparison???

You realize how ludicrous that is, right?

Yeah, but he backed it up with another 8 game or so sample size, so its all kosher, bro.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Number of high profile mistakes they make from game to game? Enough that they get a ton of grief and underrated, but not so much that they're actually bad - just not good enough for consistent top pairing work? Kind of like, say, Savard?

I watch Leafs games pretty regularly. That's what I've got.

True. Philly's blueline is still a work in progress. I just happen to think Ghost is getting similar unwarranted backlash. Maybe I should have mentioned Gudas instead, but that would be less a "he's clearly better" and more of a "they've got guys in that category". :dunno:

* * *​

I'd assumed the same of Provorov, but apparently only one rookie blueliner is allowed to be looked at from year to year, and this time it was our turn.

Rating defenseman because of the odd "high profile mistake" is an interesting way of going about things, you don't think that's a potential by-product of a guy who's got the puck on his stick consistently? Which tends to be a good thing

Ghost may have a bounce-back year he may not there's potential there it's just a matter of him and his coach harnessing it from what I've seen, for Phillies sake I hope he does

Provorov is a good one alright, he's a fantastic pick by the Flyers organization

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Rating defenseman because of the odd "high profile mistake" is an interesting way of going about things, you don't think that's a potential by-product of a guy who's got the puck on his stick consistently? Which tends to be a good thing

Ghost may have a bounce-back year he may not there's potential there it's just a matter of him and his coach harnessing it from what I've seen, for Phillies sake I hope he does

Provorov is a good one alright, he's a fantastic pick by the Flyers organization

Ghost's "bad season" was a 39 point season.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Ghost had hip surgery last off-season. Same with Giroux. Is it a coincidence they both had bad seasons? It's easier to bench the kid (who still ended up with a 6 year commitment) than the guy wearing the C.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You know as well as I do there's more to playing defense than straight point production

Of course. But Ghosts "inability" to play defense is so overblown it's ridiculous.

Anyways, this thread should get back on track about Rielly and not the Flyers defense.

Rielly is overmatched as a #1Dman. He can be a #2 but ideally he is leading the 2nd pairing while a lesser guy who is good defensively is paired with a #1 to go against top lines.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Of course. But Ghosts "inability" to play defense is so overblown it's ridiculous.

Anyways, this thread should get back on track about Rielly and not the Flyers defense.

Rielly is overmatched as a #1Dman. He can be a #2 but ideally he is leading the 2nd pairing while a lesser guy who is good defensively is paired with a #1 to go against top lines.

Rielly turned 23 at the end of last season while playing against some of the hardest quality of competition in the league and doing it all with a high ankle sprain and a rookie defensive partner.

He could easily be a #1D at some point though he isn't now. Definitely has a lot of room to grow

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

I'd class him as a complimentary #2D
He can do a job on the top pair but just can't carry that pair like a genuine #1D

Hopefully pairing Rielly with Hainsey and having Zaitsev and Gardiner together can take a bit of pressure off him and not force Rielly to be the "go to guy" in every defensive situation, it doesn't go well when that happens consistently

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Rielly turned 23 at the end of last season while playing against some of the hardest quality of competition in the league and doing it all with a high ankle sprain and a rookie defensive partner.

He could easily be a #1D at some point though he isn't now. Definitely has a lot of room to grow

He played those minutes, but it was clear him and Zaitsev were over their head. And Zaitsev was not a regular rookie. He was a 25 year old top 4 dmen that is used to playing against men.

The one thing they did do is give Gardiner easier match ups and that should not be ignored in Gardiners success.

I'd class him as a complimentary #2D
He can do a job on the top pair but just can't carry that pair like a genuine #1D

Hopefully pairing Rielly with Hainsey and having Zaitsev and Gardiner together can take a bit of pressure off him and not force Rielly to be the "go to guy" in every defensive situation, it doesn't go well when that happens consistently

I agree he can be a #2. But I think in that role, he still must go against top lines which is not ideal. Carrying a 2nd pairing would be perfect. But Gardiner gets that spot.

The Leafs are trying their best with what they have. Not having that true #1 Dmen means 1-2 guys are misplaced. Unfortunately, that is Rielly. And because he is misplaced, whoever is beside him as the #2 is too because Zaitsev or Hainsey should not be in the top pairing at all let alone aside a guy who is not a legit #1.

Reality is, Rielly and Gardiner are good players. They could be on a top pairing alongside a player better than them. But ideally, both are leading the middle pairing. Zaitsev is a guy who should be on the 2nd pairing as a complementary guy.

I do think the Leafs make a trade for that true #1 Dman someday. Babcock knows what a difference it can make.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He played those minutes, but it was clear him and Zaitsev were over their head. And Zaitsev was not a regular rookie. He was a 25 year old top 4 dmen that is used to playing against men.

The one thing they did do is give Gardiner easier match ups and that should not be ignored in Gardiners success.

I agree he can be a #2. But I think in that role, he still must go against top lines which is not ideal. Carrying a 2nd pairing would be perfect. But Gardiner gets that spot.

The Leafs are trying their best with what they have. Not having that true #1 Dmen means 1-2 guys are misplaced. Unfortunately, that is Rielly. And because he is misplaced, whoever is beside him as the #2 is too because Zaitsev or Hainsey should not be in the top pairing at all let alone aside a guy who is not a legit #1.

Reality is, Rielly and Gardiner are good players. They could be on a top pairing alongside a player better than them. But ideally, both are leading the middle pairing. Zaitsev is a guy who should be on the 2nd pairing as a complementary guy.

I do think the Leafs make a trade for that true #1 Dman someday. Babcock knows what a difference it can make.

Doubt it, true #1D don't get traded often unless things really break down with the team their on or they haven't broken out yet, maybe one hits UFA but I've got doubts about that as well

Gardiner and Rielly will share the defensive matchups pretty evenly this year I'd imagine, Gardiner and Zaitsev did a pretty solid job in the playoffs so we shouldn't need to force one pair to do everything this season

We're not going to have a genuine #1D, we're going to try to build a deep blueline where everyone can do some heavy lifting including the bottom pair, that's what seems to be happening anyway

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Watch the flaming please everyone. Thanks.