Proposal: Rielly for an age equivilant RHD

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
*READ the entire post*

This is under the assumption the Leafs will be serious about re-signing Jake Gardiner long term and Travis Dermott has a lot of growth this year. Should we arrive at the trade deadline and Dermott looks as good as we think he can be, we're a little loaded at the left side.

Not pushing Rielly out the door but the right side is still a concern.

Just going to attach some names for some types of defenseman I could see being attractive on the right (although not necessarily these ones exactly)

Parayko
Pietrangelo
Hamilton
Trouba

Additions are always possible on top of Rielly.

What most interests me is the actual discussion around this, not necessarily making an artificial HFBoards trade.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Trouba is the only one of those 4 that would/could be traded. The other 3 togheter with Seth Jones, Risto etc etc will not be traded if Reilly is the main piece coming back.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Trouba is the only one of those 4 that would/could be traded. The other 3 togheter with Seth Jones, Risto etc etc will not be traded if Reilly is the main piece coming back.

Seth Jones is definitely not going anywhere. I wouldn't want Risto back in a trade for Rielly.

Keep in mind that the Leafs could make additions to the trade on top of Rielly for the right fit.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Seth Jones is definitely not going anywhere. I wouldn't want Risto back in a trade for Rielly.

Keep in mind that the Leafs could make additions to the trade on top of Rielly for the right fit.

It's funny you post this, I was just saying in the Leafs/Jets trade that I would work a Rielly for Trouba deal if available.
We are very weak on that RHD side and I think the growth of Dermott, the additions of Borgman/Rosen, Hainsey being a LHD, this is a deal (in some format) I would swing. Then re-sign Gardiner as well.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's funny you post this, I was just saying in the Leafs/Jets trade that I would work a Rielly for Trouba deal if available.
We are very weak on that RHD side and I think the growth of Dermott, the additions of Borgman/Rosen, Hainsey being a LHD, this is a deal (in some format) I would swing. Then re-sign Gardiner as well.

I think we'd need to add an additional asset on top of Rielly in a swap for Trouba. Not sure what Jets would want. They'll probably say nothing ;)

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
You're not getting Petro under any realistic circumstances. You'd have to add for Parayko. Parayko to the Leafs has been done a 100 times (just yesterday in fact!) and it went the same way it usually does. Let's just say the Blues offer a polite "no thanks." And the teams go their separate ways.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I think we'd need to add an additional asset on top of Rielly in a swap for Trouba. Not sure what Jets would want. They'll probably say nothing ;)

I put Trouba ahead of Rielly so I think a Leafs add would be in order.
This would be a very unpopular notion on the Leafs board but I am in agreement with you. And I like Rielly. I just think we badly need to stabilize the right side.
As well as change the dynamic of our defense corps. I know Rielly is young and has room to grow but I think a deal like this makes us so much better. We need to reduce the yearly goals against badly and again, if you keep giving up the same larger amount of goals each year, there must be a change.
Some will say just acquire a RHD to play with Rielly but we need quality. You have to give quality and with LHD knocking on the door now, this could be move that changes the dynamic. As much as you love players, sometimes you have to change it up to move one step.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Instead of adding Rielly, why not take on a lesser Dman and let the other team add.

:sarcasm:

That's not how Leaf proposals work. They are almost universally of the "3 quarters for a dollar" variety.

Also, as others have stated - unlikely that Rielly would be an acceptable main piece in any trade for the players you mentioned should they be made available at all.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You're not getting Petro under any realistic circumstances. You'd have to add for Parayko. Parayko to the Leafs has been done a 100 times (just yesterday in fact!) and it went the same way it usually does. Let's just say the Blues offer a polite "no thanks." And the teams go their separate ways.

Yep, and I think I did touch base on a Rielly-Parayko swap as a basis. Not much in the way that could be done according to Blues fans. Although it might make sense to see how the younger blues LHD adapt to the NHL first, they aren't always successful. I remember the hype about Parayko though and hat tip to the Blues fans they were right on him :)

Again, it's more fun on discussion and to see if anything can be found. A lot of the gripe (sometimes justifiably) is Leaf fans not putting up pieces of value or offering 5 nickels for a quarter. I wanted to put a legit piece on the table and see what teams have an interest in this hypothetical scenario :)

That's not how Leaf proposals work. They are almost universally of the "3 quarters for a dollar" variety.

Also, as others have stated - unlikely that Rielly would be an acceptable main piece in any trade for the players you mentioned should they be made available at all.

Bang on. I did add that we can make additions on top of Rielly for that very reason but there are lots of names I didn't name that were out there. Not that I am personally interested in doing it but Ekblad is out there. The cap difference and the concussions are a bit scary though but I just wanted it to be more about bouncing some ideas around on these forums and not turn it into the "LOL no" type threads. I wanted to start it off with Rielly who is a valuable piece in his own right to show that the discussion is serious.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
There is only a few team that I know that is very stacked on RHD, it is Jets (wont go there) Ducks if Montour takes another step, but Ducks would not trade Vatanen, Montour or Manson for a LHD.
Rest are more balanced or LHD heavy.
I doubt you would want Ceci from Sens ;)

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Yep, and I think I did touch base on a Rielly-Parayko swap as a basis. Not much in the way that could be done according to Blues fans. Although it might make sense to see how the younger blues LHD adapt to the NHL first, they aren't always successful. I remember the hype about Parayko though and hat tip to the Blues fans they were right on him :)

Again, it's more fun on discussion and to see if anything can be found. A lot of the gripe (sometimes justifiably) is Leaf fans not putting up pieces of value or offering 5 nickels for a quarter. I wanted to put a legit piece on the table and see what teams have an interest in this hypothetical scenario :)

The Jets have Buff locked up and a lot will depend on how Myers comes back from injuries. A progression back to the way he played when the Jets acquired him might allow for this consideration.
Trouba's deal will be up soon and one good thing is Rielly is signed for 5 more years at 5 million. This fits a nice structure for Winnipeg and the cap. It keeps a payment balance on D as well for when Laine comes up for his next contract.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO

Bang on. I did add that we can make additions on top of Rielly for that very reason but there are lots of names I didn't name that were out there. Not that I am personally interested in doing it but Ekblad is out there. The cap difference and the concussions are a bit scary though but I just wanted it to be more about bouncing some ideas around on these forums and not turn it into the "LOL no" type threads. I wanted to start it off with Rielly who is a valuable piece in his own right to show that the discussion is serious.

And that's fair! The strength of the Blues D is the 1-2 punch on the right of Petro and Parayko. Rielly is a fine player in his own right, but if the Blues were to trade Parayko, it would probably only be to fill the hole at center. And Pietrangelo is just a total non-starter barring some ridiculous overpayment.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Leafs look in good shape. No need to do anything except move out spare parts for futures. That's about all that needs done really.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
All four of those guys are a tier above Reilly.

The add would have to significant and not sure why any of those teams would be interested.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The Jets have Buff locked up and a lot will depend on how Myers comes back from injuries. A progression back to the way he played when the Jets acquired him might allow for this consideration.
Trouba's deal will be up soon and one good thing is Rielly is signed for 5 more years at 5 million. This fits a nice structure for Winnipeg and the cap. It keeps a payment balance on D as well for when Laine comes up for his next contract.

Yeah, Trouba is likely to cost around 6-7.5M long term. Good cost certainty and term in place for the Jets if this deal happens but I think you hit the nail on the head that Myers would need to look good upon return from injury.

And that's fair! The strength of the Blues D is the 1-2 punch on the right of Petro and Parayko. Rielly is a fine player in his own right, but if the Blues were to trade Parayko, it would probably only be to fill the hole at center. And Pietrangelo is just a total non-starter barring some ridiculous overpayment.

Something that isn't always a popular thought at the beginning of the season but would optics change on that philosophy/opinion if the Blues struggled this year?

All four of those guys are a tier above Reilly.

The add would have to significant and not sure why any of those teams would be interested.

Half a tier IMO.

The full tier would be the Karlsson, Hedman, Doughty types :)

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Parayko + Fabbri

for

Rielly + Nylander

Parayko > Rielly
Fabbri < Nylander

EDIT: and Ristolainen is absolutely not a tier above Rielly.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
To reply to the above no, I don't think any core player would become available if the Blues struggle (Tarasenko, Schwartz, Petro, Parayko, Allen.) I mean I guess if one of them were to demand a trade, sure. I also disagree with the assertion Pietrangelo isn't a full "tier" above Rielly. He's far and away the best player in the OP.

MisterFister

May 26, 2016
Reilly to the Wild for Dumba or to Columbus for Murray. With a 2018 2nd going back to the Leafs

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Reilly to the Wild for Dumba or to Columbus for Murray. With a 2018 2nd going back to the Leafs

Dumba isn't a guy I had in mind really...IQ/Defense is a little questionable for me.

Murray is a LHD, hasn't taken the next step and has some injury concerns.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I've heard a few Leafs' fans say this but don't get it. He's essentially a more offensively developed, right shooting Morgan Rielly

He has brutal underlying numbers and considering how much ice time he gets his offensive numbers aren't that impressive.

With a decent coach he may develop into a better player than Rielly but for now it's not close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad