Prospect Info: Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This is what worries me. A few years from now. We're all feeling safe again. Somebody spreads covid to a sick chipmunk. Boom. It's back like black f***ing plague.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
This is what worries me. A few years from now. We're all feeling safe again. Somebody spreads covid to a sick chipmunk. Boom. It's back like black f***ing plague.

Uh, no. The biggest reason it's such a big deal is the fact that nobody's immune system has seen it before. Assuming the vaccine doesn't have long term or permanent immunity, or assuming people who caught it also don't have a long term immunity, it's likely that people's symptoms will be less severe the second time around. Also, governments will know how to test for it, doctors will know better how to treat it. We'll also have the vaccine already ready to go. There's absolutely no way this is coming back around like this again.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Uh, no. The biggest reason it's such a big deal is the fact that nobody's immune system has seen it before. Assuming the vaccine doesn't have long term or permanent immunity, or assuming people who caught it also don't have a long term immunity, it's likely that people's symptoms will be less severe the second time around. Also, governments will know how to test for it, doctors will know better how to treat it. We'll also have the vaccine already ready to go. There's absolutely no way this is coming back around like this again.
Uh, yeah. The mink thing in Europe showed how seriously people take transmission to animals. Because it can mutate when crossing species. Become more deadly. Make the vaccine useless. People had the flu before the spanish flu.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This of course assumes that having had the virus makes you immune, except there is evidence of re-infection.

In the end, while we don't know if the vaccine will stop or reduce transmission, the odds are pretty good it will reduce it, if only by lowering the amount of time it takes a vaccinated person who gets infected to fight it off.

The evidence of reinfection at this point is limited. I'm not a scientist by any stretch but my guess is it's not reinfection, its infection with a different strain

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This guy anything but a "typical" Sens pick. His hands, vision, and maneuverability are more similar to Clayton Keller than Curtiz Lazar for example. Easy to get carried away here but wow, this guy can be a serious steal.

You can definitely see the Kadri comparable now. I think he has better hands than all of our C prospects outside of Stutzle and maybe Brown.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Based on his performance in Belleville, i imagine if this were a normal year he might have gotten the Formenton treatment and stuck around a couple games for the experience.

If he can fill out without losing his mobility and get to around 185 or 190, he could be a heck of a player for us imo.

Has the WHL set a start date? Maybe, if he keeps it up and enough time passes, he could get a game or two.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Has the WHL set a start date? Maybe, if he keeps it up and enough time passes, he could get a game or two.
Starts March 12th for Brandon, Feb 26th for other teams.

Red Deer players are literally living out of their rink, they’ll each have their own suite as their living quarters for the 24 game season, and will only play on weekends. That would have been unreal as an 18 year old, I’d have loved that when I was in Junior.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
What the hell did i watch last night on Twitter, the guy is incredible. One scene looked right out of a Disney movie with two Rockets slamming into each other as he avoided them lol

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
This guy anything but a "typical" Sens pick. His hands, vision, and maneuverability are more similar to Clayton Keller than Curtiz Lazar for example. Easy to get carried away here but wow, this guy can be a serious steal.

You can definitely see the Kadri comparable now. I think he has better hands than all of our C prospects outside of Stutzle and maybe Brown.

From what I saw last year I didn't buy into the Kadri comparison but this kid looks incredible right now. I could see that type of player potentially developing here.

I've also heard Marchand comparisons, in terms of style. I can see a bit of that too.

Gonna be fun seeing how this kid develops.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
Starts March 12th for Brandon, Feb 26th for other teams.

Red Deer players are literally living out of their rink, they’ll each have their own suite as their living quarters for the 24 game season, and will only play on weekends. That would have been unreal as an 18 year old, I’d have loved that when I was in Junior.

I heard about that Red Deer set-up... gonna be a gong-show in the absolute best sense. Close to 20 returning players, too...

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Having read through basically all of the draft guides from 2017-2020, I realize that even the best are hit and miss on projections and often get players dead wrong. Pinto was virtually overlooked by every publication and his offensive talents were greatly undervalued

With Greig, HockeyProspects and Grant McCagg were extremely high on him, rating him 14th and 18th respectively. Hockeyprospects had Greig rated 8/9 hockey sense, 7/9, skating, and 7/9 skill, which which tied guys like Byfield(rated a six in hockey sense) and Quinn across those categories. Greig also scored a prefect 9/9 in compete. The point is that, unlike a guy like Lazar, he has hockey sense to go along with compete. His anticipation and awareness are pretty high-end.

If he is able to fill out and get stronger, he might be that steal that help push organization forward.

Another guy both publications were out front of was Seth Jarvis (who the Sens also really liked), who has been amazing thus far in the AHL.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I will admit I hadn't watch a single second of this guy before we drafted him so I wrongly assumed based off scouting reports and the general consensus on his HFboard prospect thread that he was a bit of a grinder mixed with enough skill to be good in juniors and eventually become a bottom 6 player in NHL.

After watching his 3 games so far that seems far from the case. Sure he has a bit of tenacity, like Formenton but his awareness and puck skills are beyond what you would call "a safe 3rd liner" pick. He is able to carry play on his own pretty well and has the awareness to create something out of nothing. Of course, he is a longer-term project where he is still 2-3+ years from NHL duty but I think he will eventually end up top 3 in our prospect rankings a few years down the road.​

Read The

Feb 7, 2021
I will admit I hadn't watch a single second of this guy before we drafted him so I wrongly assumed based off scouting reports and the general consensus on his HFboard prospect thread that he was a bit of a grinder mixed with enough skill to be good in juniors and eventually become a bottom 6 player in NHL.

After watching his 3 games so far that seems far from the case. Sure he has a bit of tenacity, like Formenton but his awareness and puck skills are beyond what you would call "a safe 3rd liner" pick. He is able to carry play on his own pretty well and has the awareness to create something out of nothing. Of course, he is a longer-term project where he is still 2-3+ years from NHL duty but I think he will eventually end up top 3 in our prospect rankings a few years down the road.​

I think the discrepancy was because of his first half vs his second half. The first half he was an average player statistically, the second half he was regularly putting up multi point games. Had the season finished and there was a playoffs he might have ripped that up too and never made it to our pick.

I don't wanna write off Jarventie but f*** had we gotten Peterka as well, those first 4 pick would have been perfect. 3 skilled but tenacious forwards along with a potential top pair d.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I was watching Ridly Greig closely the last three games and he reminds me of Mitchell Marner, but with higher intensity and character but just a touch slow. With the same sick skillset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad