Prospect Info: Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
It is strange that it was reported as asymptomatic when he first tested, but he's obviously having some issues now a month later.

I had pneumonia a couple of years back and it was about 6 months before i felt i was 90% recovered. Never got back to 100%. Although, physically, i am perhaps a slight tier below an elite young athlete.

Reactions: NB613

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
My wife and I both had COVID in April and we still aren’t fully recovered. So much fatigue, headaches and joint pain.

Reactions: NB613

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It is strange that it was reported as asymptomatic when he first tested, but he's obviously having some issues now a month later.

I had pneumonia a couple of years back and it was about 6 months before i felt i was 90% recovered. Never got back to 100%. Although, physically, i am perhaps a slight tier below an elite young athlete.

Same here. I had a really nasty bronchitis in 2014 when I went to Cuba. For about a year after that, I would often go into coughing fits whenever I was playing sports. Over the years, things have gotten much better. But I still go into coughing fits whenever I go to a wavepool, because the chlorine just irritates the shit out of my lungs. But my cardio is probably better than it's even been because I started bike commuting to work every single day from 2015, up until March of this year when work from home was implemented.

People get scar tissue and all sorts of ailments from random viruses and diseases. COVID is not unique in this.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Same here. I had a really nasty bronchitis in 2014 when I went to Cuba. For about a year after that, I would often go into coughing fits whenever I was playing sports. Over the years, things have gotten much better. But I still go into coughing fits whenever I go to a wavepool, because the chlorine just irritates the shit out of my lungs. But my cardio is probably better than it's even been because I started bike commuting to work every single day from 2015, up until March of this year when work from home was implemented.

People get scar tissue and all sorts of ailments from random viruses and diseases. COVID is not unique in this.

Daily exercise is great for the immune system.

Reactions: aragorn and BigRig4

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Even asymptomatic people can have long lasting effects... unfortunately no one is "safe". Many will regret thinking they were.

Reactions: BigRig4

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Even asymptomatic people can have long lasting effects... unfortunately no one is "safe". Many will regret thinking they were.

I think the whole long lasting effects thing is overblown. I'm sure an extreme minority might have severe complications, but as with anything that attacks the lungs (bronchitis, pneumonia), there's always going to be some lingering effects for a while (scar tissue, etc).

I'm not trying to minimize the seriousness of COVID. It's extremely serious and dangerous to the elderly and those with weakened immune systems. I'm just pumping the brakes on those trying to imply that there's a massive looming long term public health crisis for those that had mild symptoms. There's very little to indicate that's going to be the case.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think the whole long lasting effects thing is overblown. I'm sure an extreme minority might have severe complications, but as with anything that attacks the lungs (bronchitis, pneumonia), there's always going to be some lingering effects for a while (scar tissue, etc).

I'm not trying to minimize the seriousness of COVID. It's extremely serious and dangerous to the elderly and those with weakened immune systems. I'm just pumping the brakes on those trying to imply that there's a massive looming long term public health crisis for those that had mild symptoms. There's very little to indicate that's going to be the case.

Let's hope it's going to be more like you say. I have been bumping into people recently that had it and still have effects months later, like that lady at the dog park just yesterday

That's the thing, no one should gamble with this and particularly not young athletes who want to have long remunerating careers. They must all be aware of the dangers. I'm expecting their families/coaches/agents to have done some due dilligence on that

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is there a lot of data on lasting effects on asymptomatic? Seems a bit early to know that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Is there a lot of data on lasting effects on asymptomatic? Seems a bit early to know that.
The issue is that the “symptoms” are respiratory.
So Asymptomatic is deemed no fever no cough no trouble breath etc etc.

They are finding more and more this virus seems vascular. Not respiratory. So whether “asymptomatic” still leads to inflammation of various blood vessels, I’m not sure.

that’s my main question about the vaccine. It kills symptoms. But does that I include the underlying symptoms affecting blood vessels.
I have no idea

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
definitely valid cause for concern if he feels his lung capacity isn't what it was a month after infection.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The issue is that the “symptoms” are respiratory.
So Asymptomatic is deemed no fever no cough no trouble breath etc etc.

They are finding more and more this virus seems vascular. Not respiratory. So whether “asymptomatic” still leads to inflammation of various blood vessels, I’m not sure.

that’s my main question about the vaccine. It kills symptoms. But does that I include the underlying symptoms affecting blood vessels.
I have no idea

It doesn't kill symptoms. It kills the virus.

edit: Or, more specifically, it trains your immune system to detect and kill the virus before it does any damage.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

edit: Or, more specifically, it trains your immune system to detect and kill the virus before it does any damage.
Everything I’ve read has not said that. It significantly reduces symptoms. To which they are basically not even there. It hasn’t shown to reduce transmission. Or maybe they just don’t have enough data for that as it was quick trials.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
A vaccination allows your body to build up a defence. Once vaccinated, if you get the virus in the future, your body will be prepared to destroy it and you won't get sick. That's my understanding.

Last edited:

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Everything I’ve read has not said that. It significantly reduces symptoms. To which they are basically not even there. It hasn’t shown to reduce transmission. Or maybe they just don’t have enough data for that as it was quick trials.

Uhhhh, where exactly have you been reading this?

Reactions: Fenix Rises 2026

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa

One thing I heard about covid is that it can have a "pain suppression" factor. Not sure how this has panned out, but if this is true, then perhaps asymptomatic people are suffering but have this pain suppression factor. Thus damage happens and the people don't know it.

On the good news side, this pain suppression factor is thought to be new, allowing researchers to develop new pain relief medications.

Do not take this as truth of course, but put it in your back pocket and see if it gets confirmed in the future.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

Every other vaccine/inoculation works this way. You get the virus, your body kills it. You technically did have the virus but I don't think you'd ever build up the viral load needed to be infectious. It gets destroyed before you reach that level of infection.

If, indeed, those with the vaccine are still infectious than the whole herd immunity thing doesn't work. We will need to vaccinate much more than the 70% or so that usual makes for herd immunity. Don't know actual numbers but with a virus THIS infectious I would say well in excess of 95% would need to be vaccinated to have herd immunity.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Every other vaccine/inoculation works this way. You get the virus, your body kills it. You technically did have the virus but I don't think you'd ever build up the viral load needed to be infectious. It gets destroyed before you reach that level of infection.

If, indeed, those with the vaccine are still infectious than the whole herd immunity thing doesn't work. We will need to vaccinate much more than the 70% or so that usual makes for herd immunity. Don't know actual numbers but with a virus THIS infectious I would say well in excess of 95% would need to be vaccinated to have herd immunity.
Herd immunity is still achievable.

if this significantly reduces symptoms. Less people die from the virus. More people have it, successfully fight it > become immune to getting it again. It doesn’t bounce around as much

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Herd immunity is still achievable.

if this significantly reduces symptoms. Less people die from the virus. More people have it, successfully fight it > become immune to getting it again. It doesn’t bounce around as much

This of course assumes that having had the virus makes you immune, except there is evidence of re-infection.

In the end, while we don't know if the vaccine will stop or reduce transmission, the odds are pretty good it will reduce it, if only by lowering the amount of time it takes a vaccinated person who gets infected to fight it off.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I'm pretty sure you only need about 95% vaccination to achieve herd immunity for the measles, which is far far more contagious than COVID. Also, as Burrowsaurus said, the mere fact that symptoms are less severe means the R0 is going to drop automatically.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
This of course assumes that having had the virus makes you immune, except there is evidence of re-infection.

I don't think there's enough evidence for this. Ofcourse there are always going to be exceptions and edge cases, but by and large, most people who have caught it appear to be immune so far. For how long? Not sure, but it's been almost a year now, and there's no evidence of mass re-infections. Not to mention that if re-infection is possible, we don't know how severe it will be. The main reason COVID is such a big deal is the fact that nobody's immune systems have seen it before.

Reactions: Billy Bridges

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad