Ridiculous Gear Thread, Part 2

Evergreen

When I played paintball I encountered these types all the time, but your teamate sounds like he doesn't rub it in anyones face or boasts about how good he is. So I guess he gets a pass for having the gear in my books. If you (or your parents) can afford it, more power to you. It's not my money lol

No, he's a good kid. I agree with you that it doesn't really matter what other people are wearing...it's more of an attitude thing usually. When I was younger, I used to love getting new gear, though. I actually slept with my new Bauer Vapor 8s next to my bed when I first got them hahaha.

clayman

Apr 22, 2012
Tigard, Oregon
There is a kid on my adult league team that is easily the worst player on the team, but has the most expensive gear. He's got top of the line Easton sticks, two of those matte black Easton helmets (one with visor, one with cage) and Bauer APX skates. We are mostly graduate school students who have played some level of college hockey, but somehow this bender got placed in the "A" league I play in rather than te "B" league that he is suited for, and he is just terrible. Super nice kid, but he probably doesn't need $200 sticks haha.

He gets chirped for it by the other teams sometimes, but usually they just deke around him and score. I swear it is like being shorthanded whenever he is out there. Actually it's worse because he literally passes the puck to te other team. End rant...I think he graduated so I look forward to hopefully not going 0-24 this year haha.

So now that he's gone you guys going to jump up to 1-23 this year? lol... :D

Evergreen

So now that he's gone you guys going to jump up to 1-23 this year? lol... :D

If we are lucky haha. I actually hope the team gets broken up and we disperse amongst the other teams. My team was just bad. I played entire games just to give us a chance to win on some nights. I don't want to be on such a terrible team again this year.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I dont get why people get upset at chirping others. Isn't that part of the fun of hockey??? We did it constantly on my high school baseball team, I get chirped every night when I play soccer with all my mexican friends.

I havn't played a game of hockey yet but i would hope that i would be able to take the teasing from everybody else. Obviously, if someone is going over the top and out of their way to be a total *****, then that's different. But when i (inevitably) get chirped at for putting my gear on wrong and/or having too small of a helmet then that's fine. Talking trash is part of sports. Its part of being a guy. I know some of my male peers didn't grow up with friends that constantly tore eachother new *******s, but i like to think most of us did.

TUCKER 06

May 22, 2012
My old man rocks the sweatpants under his brand new, black hockey pants instead of hockey socks. They are ancient, navy-blue and full of holes - which means you can see his shin pads, which were probably manufactured around the time Jean Beliveau broke into NHL

He also wears the old Cooper shoulder pads, the Cooper SK2000 helmet (same one that Chris Osgood wore) with a fishbowl, and ANCIENT gloves that barely have any palms left.

I don't chirp him too badly, since I only play shinny with him once or twice a year. But he looks like a real joker out there nonetheless.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My old man rocks the sweatpants under his brand new, black hockey pants instead of hockey socks. They are ancient, navy-blue and full of holes - which means you can see his shin pads, which were probably manufactured around the time Jean Beliveau broke into NHL

He also wears the old Cooper shoulder pads, the Cooper SK2000 helmet (same one that Chris Osgood wore) with a fishbowl, and ANCIENT gloves that barely have any palms left.

I don't chirp him too badly, since I only play shinny with him once or twice a year. But he looks like a real joker out there nonetheless.

I love seeing old vintage gear on the ice. There's a guy that wears the old Messier-style cooper helmet in our league. There's even a guy sporting the old Wayne Gretzky Jofa. (even though it does not even come close to meeting safety standards...)

Rookie109

Mar 31, 2014
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Wow, I had no idea that so much of the gear I have would be made fun of so much.

(1) I wear #69. I've been wearing it for all the different teams and sports I've been on for the last 7 years. I only wear it because I like to kid and joke with my team mates and opponents. The best is in other co-ed sports when you meet a woman with #69 - instant icebreaker!

(2) I wear skate fenders, I got chirped a lil by my own team mates until a few of them got nailed pretty hard in the skates. Now another player bought them and a few others are considering it.

(3) I wear a full bubble for beer league ice hockey. http://www.hockeyfaceshields.com/
I wear the clear older model; I'd like to try the new Elite mask as well.

I've never tried a cage. I have a half visor for casual pickup hockey outdoors and shiny, but decided to go full face protection for indoor/league hockey after a few close calls.

Funny story about my gear: about 20ish 15-year-old kids watched my team practice a week ago, I was wearing my bubble and a Ottawa Senators #15 Heatley jersey. My buddie's wife said anytime I got the puck, the kids cheered me on like crazy I didn't notice it that much at first as I was super tired. As we went to the locker room all the little kids were complementing my bubble and jersey, "All-star, Heater, Dany Boy, nice bubble!" That was a pretty cool feeling and one my teammates thought was pretty funny.

So far, no one really pokes much fun at me since I can skate alright and I hustle my ass off, I don't really chirp at all which probably helps. If anything, I joke with my opponents and try to keep it fun since it's only beer league.

I’m an extrovert so I don’t mind a lil chirping if it happens.

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
This guy on the opposing team last weekend was wearing what looked to be black socks stretched over ,I can only assume to be, junior sized shin guards. When I say socks I don't mean "hockey socks" I mean the kind of socks you wear on your feet. I swear to you it looked like he was wearing black leggings. I don't know who dressed this guy or told him that was "proper hockey attire" but the second I noticed it I was overcome with a blind rage, lol. The rest of his gear was as it should be, just those shin guards and socks. I honestly couldn't tell you why it upset me so much, it was as if he was single handedly destroying hockey as I knew it, with these ****ing things:rant: I chirped him on the ice, from the bench, once in the penalty box, and in between periods. I really felt bad after the fact, it was just something about this guy that set me off.

Last edited:

jazzykat

Mar 10, 2013
This guy on the opposing team last weekend was wearing what looked to be black socks stretched over ,I can only assume to be, junior sized shin guards. When I say socks I don't mean "hockey socks" I mean the kind of socks you wear on your feet. I swear to you it looked like he was wearing black leggings. I don't know who dressed this guy or told him that was "proper hockey attire" but the second I noticed it I was overcome with a blind rage, lol. The rest of his gear was as it should be, just those shin guards and socks. I honestly couldn't tell you why it upset me so much, it was as if he was single handedly destroying hockey as I knew it, with these ****ing things:rant: I chirped him on the ice, from the bench, once in the penalty box, and in between periods. I really felt bad after the fact, it was just something about this guy that set me off.

It sounds like someone's physicological warfare was working :) I just hope he doesn't get a slapshot or a stick in the shins/knees...

blackout44

Jun 5, 2014
Full shields always bring this into my mind from the movie "Saw". I don't chirp anyone with them, as I wear a cage and don't blame anyone for not wanting dental work, but still, the resemblance is there.....

Amanda-Young-Saw-amanda-young-19232918-1024-576.jpg

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
played pickup once with a guy who was rocking this. if there's one thing that absolutely does not make sense in regards to hockey gear, this is it. not really sure what the point of a half cage visor is at all. why not just wear a normal visor? i guess the visor fogging up must have been a huge issue

4886-470Fr.jpg

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
played pickup once with a guy who was rocking this. if there's one thing that absolutely does not make sense in regards to hockey gear, this is it. not really sure what the point of a half cage visor is at all. why not just wear a normal visor? i guess the visor fogging up must have been a huge issue

4886-470Fr.jpg

That is an entirely new level of ******-baggery. How could anybody actually go out and buy something that ludicrous? I'm guessing that this guy was chirped so bad that he gave up hockey and disappeared into the mountains after that game.

Upon further observation of the pic, is that really a puck sized gap between the bars, right in the middle of the cage?

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
Herb and his wife now own a market, where they make homemade sausage.

Saw a guy with a sweet ponytail and old school Jofa bucket last night at my game. I am not knocking either, its just a combination you don't see everyday.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
One of the refs at a local rink wears an old school Jofa helmet. So of course his nickname is "Jofa". A couple other people have some similar old, awful buckets including the rounded Cooper and something that looks halfway between the Jofa and a leather style helmet.

ShakeyBonez

Dec 26, 2009
Temple City, CA
That is an entirely new level of ******-baggery. How could anybody actually go out and buy something that ludicrous? I'm guessing that this guy was chirped so bad that he gave up hockey and disappeared into the mountains after that game.

Upon further observation of the pic, is that really a puck sized gap between the bars, right in the middle of the cage?

Dude i can't breathe... This has me laughing so hard :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009

Seriously? Calling him that is a little overkill don't you think? It's odd sure, but are you going to be the type of ******-bag to give someone a lot of grief over something so trivial and inconsequential to you?

WickedWinger

Aug 19, 2014
Seriously? Calling him that is a little overkill don't you think? It's odd sure, but are you going to be the type of ******-bag to give someone a lot of grief over something so trivial and inconsequential to you?

Okay, fair enough. But I would like to point something out to you. One, it was clearly a joke. Which could be read in the "gave up hockey and disappeared into the mountains" part. Sorry if that word means something more to you than it does to me. I don't hate the guy for wearing it, but he does look ridiculous.

Secondly, I would just like to add that you essentially did the same thing as me, when You called me a D-bag over something as trivial as me implying someone else looked like a D-bag. Just saying.

bigwillie

Jul 14, 2006
Portland, OR
I wear the Osgood-style Cooper SK2000 with the HM30 cateye cage when I play in net, and I generally receive compliments on it. When I skate out, I take the cage off and just skate with the bucket, and that's when I start hearing the chirps.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Thanks.

I want to take this opportunity to set the precedence for this thread.

Joking or tossing a few chirps are fine, it's hockey.

I won't tolerate anything I deem harassment or bullying of others, or the encouragement of it even outside this thread. That is not what hockey is about.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013

4886-470Fr.jpg

If I saw someone wearing this, the chirp would be real.

ORLY

Oct 31, 2011
I don't chirp average players or beginners because some of them just don't know that it's "against the norm" to wear something different. I will chirp good players though, because they should know better and it's fun to have a back and forth throughout a game with a guy, makes me more competitive.

Outdoor rink Sidney Crosbys are my favourite.

ArcataShark

in dubious battle
Jul 3, 2010
Eugene
I wore all black once. Black pants, solid black socks, blackish skates, solid black jersey, and a black helmet.. even my stick was black. I looked like Johnny Cash out there. I thought it was funny and so did most of the guys playing that night. Still, I haven't worn my man in black uniform again lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad