Ridiculous Gear Thread, Part 2

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
:laugh:

It took me awhile to bite the bullet and switch to a composite stick, but one thing I've noticed is the way the guys with the wooden sticks hack the hell out of the composites. :laugh:

If you don't want weak items to break, don't buy weak items. I use an aluminum, myself :laugh: Tried a composite and the thing broke in 10 games. Screw that.

hockeymass

Feb 13, 2012
If you don't want weak items to break, don't buy weak items. I use an aluminum, myself :laugh: Tried a composite and the thing broke in 10 games. Screw that.

I've been using composites for 10+ years and have never broken a single one.

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
Someone else brought up the half cage visor in the other thread. There is a guy in my league that wears one and I always laugh but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I cant handle visors because they always fog on me. I switched to a full cage years ago but I miss playing with a visor. It would seem like this would be right up my alley but I could never bring myself to wear one.

Axman

MoreSkilledThanYou
Feb 9, 2011
Someone else brought up the half cage visor in the other thread. There is a guy in my league that wears one and I always laugh but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I cant handle visors because they always fog on me. I switched to a full cage years ago but I miss playing with a visor. It would seem like this would be right up my alley but I could never bring myself to wear one.

I don't know if you ever tried the Oakley visors; they have some type of anti-fog coating on them.
I was skeptical at first but it never fogs on me.

Dr Acula

May 1, 2009
They are blades that you replace once they get dull, kind of like razor cartridges. They're good if you don't have a dependable skate sharpener in your area, I guess. Most people just think they look stupid and make an obnoxious sound.

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
:laugh:

It took me awhile to bite the bullet and switch to a composite stick, but one thing I've noticed is the way the guys with the wooden sticks hack the hell out of the composites. :laugh:

The old guy on our team finally bought a new stick to replace his Sherwood 5030 coffey curve woody. He got the composite version to ease his way in to the new world. :laugh:

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
I don't know if you ever tried the Oakley visors; they have some type of anti-fog coating on them.
I was skeptical at first but it never fogs on me.

I had a few of the older oakleys, an Itech and a Bauer. I also did the Oakley Aviator with the half cage half visor which fogged pretty bad. Its been a few years but maybe it is time to pick up a new Oakley visor, although I am pretty comfortable with a cage now.

Trevor3

Nov 16, 2010
Stephenville - YJT
They are blades that you replace once they get dull, kind of like razor cartridges. They're good if you don't have a dependable skate sharpener in your area, I guess. Most people just think they look stupid and make an obnoxious sound.

This. I knew a couple of guys who had them and they weren't great. It can be a hassle to replace them sometimes because the natural tendency of water to make metal rust and thus making the screws stick.

The bonus is that we often played in tournaments in really out of the way places that nobody who isn't from there has ever heard of, so being able to replace blades on the fly and not rely on shady fishing village rinks to do the job could be a big bonus.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
When I played (90s) my list of stuff that would make me actively target a player was as follows:

T Blades
Composite sticks until they were normal (Prepare to have your stick broken)
Back of socks pulled down over the heel of skates
Sweater fully tucked at back
Those ugly CCM Leader visors
Any type of stupid stick tape (camo, flag, flames, multicoloured, whatever)

I wasn't much for chirping, but I'd run at you all game if you had any of these. I can only imagine 14 year old me seeing a mirrored visor.

donkers*

When I played (90s) my list of stuff that would make me actively target a player was as follows:

T Blades
Composite sticks until they were normal (Prepare to have your stick broken)
Back of socks pulled down over the heel of skates
Sweater fully tucked at back
Those ugly CCM Leader visors
Any type of stupid stick tape (camo, flag, flames, multicoloured, whatever)

I wasn't much for chirping, but I'd run at you all game if you had any of these. I can only imagine 14 year old me seeing a mirrored visor.

For some reason my jersey rides up in the back of my pants all the time and gets tucked in. I've never gotten chirped though thank god. I just bought some new gloves that'll get me chirped for sure though.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I never really chirp people for gear unless it's a skater who forgot their jersey and is wearing a spare goalie jersey, looks like a damn poncho. :laugh:

One thing that always bugs me though and I really want to chirp people is those who tie their laces around their ankles.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
For some reason my jersey rides up in the back of my pants all the time and gets tucked in. I've never gotten chirped though thank god. I just bought some new gloves that'll get me chirped for sure though.

Yeah, I mean these were all subject to discretion. Generally you can tell if someone is "that guy" with a full tuck or just some guy with a full tuck.

r3cc0s

Mar 7, 2011
there are a few...

obviously mirror visors
NHL team jerseys with ambitious numbers (i.e. 99)
Pro stock sticks (high flex) with ridiculious curves that are still at full lenght used by people who can't even barely lift the puck

um... then its bright laces, and bright stick tape

mikitas donut

Flowers of Antimony
Sep 10, 2010
Northern Illinois
I wear suspenders so I can't tuck in my jersey even if I wanted.

I try to stay under the radar, so my gloves, helmet and pants are black. I do like wearing the dark Avs socks though.

SCritical

I've said this before, but...girls with matching pink laces, gloves and stick tape. I don't know why it offends me so much but it does. All I know is that I've been to a number of semi pro women's league games and I NEVER saw any of those ladies wear any pink.

There's the mismatched socks where the guy wears one home sock and one away sock for the same NHL team

There's a few guys in my house league who wear mouth guards with fangs drawn on them. Do they not realise how silly they look???

TUCKER 06

May 22, 2012
Yeah, visors fogging up shouldn't be an issue anymore.

It isn't an issue for me. I use the Bauer X100 and before every ice-time I clean it with a spray and then I add a drop of shampoo and rub that in. No fog what-so-ever. Using shampoo on visors is the best system I've found to keep fog away and I've been doing it for years.

Sure it's more work before every game/praccy but I don't mind spending time working on my equipment. Especially when I can do it while watching the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad