Ridiculous Gear Thread, Part 2

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
I saw a guy today a pickup with the tinted visor, white Reebok skates, and full Penguins 3rd jersey set up to go with his not really good skating or anything else.. Just some of the things that become easy targets if you act like a ******/idiot while playing.

29Potvins

Jul 17, 2012
Hah, I actually own a pair of red pants (they were on sale $10) and my team had a good laugh about them (especially since at the time I was wearing lime green laces too). I never got any chirps about either the pants or the laces from other teams though. I did get hip checked in open ice during a non-contact pick up game (everyone knew each other) :laugh: I'm pretty sure it was the red pants.

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
Not really a ridiculous piece gear, but I never tape the end of the shaft. This started somewhere between high school and college, and I just got used to it. I also use sticks with grip on them, so taping the end seems a bit redundant. Always get chirped for it, but it's always from my teammates :laugh:

oh man, im surprised they are still in one piece

They're surprisingly durable. Watch them fall apart in warm-ups, haha.

us asians have small hands, i wear 11.5, lol

Hey now, some of us have "freakishly large" Asian hands and have to use 14" gloves :)

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Really? They have the copper in 13,14,15. You wear a 12" glove?

Yep. I wear 12" gloves and I absolutely love them. 12" fits snug on my hands and are significantly cheaper than SR gloves. The only problem being that choices are more limited.

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I tend to try to resolve problems without escalating the situation like a meathead. 200 bucks isn't worth being arrested for battery.

Sorry, didn't know that your adult leagues were so strict... here an on-ice fight would result in a couple games suspension... no police involved. I thought it was common knowledge that if someone intentionally breaks an expensive possession of yours, you punch them squarely in the nose..

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
I'm not exactly sure how you would go about doing this. What exactly does it mean to 'harass him financially?'

Like... break his stick as well? I guess I put that weirdly lol although I'm sure most of you were intentionally missing the point because that's the cool thing to do on the internet. And I wasn't trying to "be a badass". I just find it hard to believe that if someone stepped on one of your sticks, intentionally trying to break it (without a shadow of a doubt), you wouldn't do a thing about it. I'd take a 2 game suspension (whoaaa that's a LONG one LOOKOUT!) to stand up for myself. "Oh hey man you just broke my stick on purpose, ah, well, it was only 240 dollars, that's ok!" Yeahhhh... right. Gotta love the morality police on here...

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL
Sorry, didn't know that your adult leagues were so strict... here an on-ice fight would result in a couple games suspension... no police involved. I thought it was common knowledge that if someone intentionally breaks an expensive possession of yours, you punch them squarely in the nose..

Depends on how far the fight goes. I've seen it to where to guys square off throw some punches and their done; I've also seen it in a rec league roller game two guys dropped the gloves, one guy knocked the other done with a solid shot and while the guy is on the ground he kicks him in the side of the face, not IMO that's when police should get involved.

In my ice league if your in a fight your suspended 2 games.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
An on-ice fight is when there are 2 willing combatants dropping the gloves, in rec leagues you'll just get a suspension for that. If you just beat on a guy who doesn't fight back you'll get a longer suspension. If you resist the officials when they try to pull you off, that's when police get involved.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Anyone who copies the gear of an NHL player and makes it really obvious. There is one bender I played HS hockey with who had the same skates, gloves, stick, helmet, and visor as Oveckin. It was annoying as hell. He would even did the trademark Ovechkin Celly after his one goal that season

Clarkington III

Rebuild? Refresh?
Aug 3, 2007
San Diego
Like... break his stick as well? I guess I put that weirdly lol although I'm sure most of you were intentionally missing the point because that's the cool thing to do on the internet. And I wasn't trying to "be a badass". I just find it hard to believe that if someone stepped on one of your sticks, intentionally trying to break it (without a shadow of a doubt), you wouldn't do a thing about it. I'd take a 2 game suspension (whoaaa that's a LONG one LOOKOUT!) to stand up for myself. "Oh hey man you just broke my stick on purpose, ah, well, it was only 240 dollars, that's ok!" Yeahhhh... right. Gotta love the morality police on here...

I think you are the only that missed the point.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Anyone who copies the gear of an NHL player and makes it really obvious. There is one bender I played HS hockey with who had the same skates, gloves, stick, helmet, and visor as Oveckin. It was annoying as hell. He would even did the trademark Ovechkin Celly after his one goal that season

I know a few "Ovechkins"....

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
How many people are going to post some variation of "bloo bloo bloo I'm morally superior because I don't care what people are wearing huehuehuehue" in this thread? It's really irritating.
I am here waiting and I don't care if it irritates you, the irony is so much fun.

OpenIceHit42

May 27, 2011
STL

Since when can you wear visors in high school hockey?

Evergreen

There is a kid on my adult league team that is easily the worst player on the team, but has the most expensive gear. He's got top of the line Easton sticks, two of those matte black Easton helmets (one with visor, one with cage) and Bauer APX skates. We are mostly graduate school students who have played some level of college hockey, but somehow this bender got placed in the "A" league I play in rather than te "B" league that he is suited for, and he is just terrible. Super nice kid, but he probably doesn't need $200 sticks haha.

He gets chirped for it by the other teams sometimes, but usually they just deke around him and score. I swear it is like being shorthanded whenever he is out there. Actually it's worse because he literally passes the puck to te other team. End rant...I think he graduated so I look forward to hopefully not going 0-24 this year haha.

SCBruCrew4

Dec 5, 2011
Boston, Ma
There is a kid on my adult league team that is easily the worst player on the team, but has the most expensive gear. He's got top of the line Easton sticks, two of those matte black Easton helmets (one with visor, one with cage) and Bauer APX skates. We are mostly graduate school students who have played some level of college hockey, but somehow this bender got placed in the "A" league I play in rather than te "B" league that he is suited for, and he is just terrible. Super nice kid, but he probably doesn't need $200 sticks haha.

He gets chirped for it by the other teams sometimes, but usually they just deke around him and score. I swear it is like being shorthanded whenever he is out there. Actually it's worse because he literally passes the puck to te other team. End rant...I think he graduated so I look forward to hopefully not going 0-24 this year haha.

When I played paintball I encountered these types all the time, but your teamate sounds like he doesn't rub it in anyones face or boasts about how good he is. So I guess he gets a pass for having the gear in my books. If you (or your parents) can afford it, more power to you. It's not my money lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad