Rickard Rakell

Godzlaf

Sep 24, 2014
Anyone else see a couple games ago when he was crashing the net and a pass came late from behind the net, so being a little too deep he just stuck his stick through his legs to get a better angle and one timed it? It was some awesome improvisation.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Regarding the Bergeron comparision, one thing I'd note is that Bergeron wasn't really expected to win any Selke trophies himself when he was Rakell's age, at least as far as I can remember. That came a lot later. To me, elite defensive ability is one of the most difficult things to project. It just comes to some guys over time.

That said, I'm not really seeing the Bergeron comparision, other than being a two-way player. Both up front and defensively, respectivey, I can't really see Bergeron as too similar. I'm really excited about Rakell, nonetheless.

KickHisAssZegrass

Sponsor
Nov 18, 2005
Portland, OR
Regarding the Bergeron comparision, one thing I'd note is that Bergeron wasn't really expected to win any Selke trophies himself when he was Rakell's age, at least as far as I can remember. That came a lot later. To me, elite defensive ability is one of the most difficult things to project. It just comes to some guys over time.

That said, I'm not really seeing the Bergeron comparision, other than being a two-way player. Both up front and defensively, respectivey, I can't really see Bergeron as too similar. I'm really excited about Rakell, nonetheless.

Yeah to be honest my ceiling of Bergeron was more of level of impact, not so much a stylistic comparison. Bergeron was a total different player when he first came up though. He was super dynamic and possibly the fastest player in the league before his rash of concussions. He slowed down a bit and became elite defensively after. To be honest I'm having trouble comparing Rakel's skill set to anyone.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Yeah to be honest my ceiling of Bergeron was more of level of impact, not so much a stylistic comparison. Bergeron was a total different player when he first came up though. He was super dynamic and possibly the fastest player in the league before his rash of concussions. He slowed down a bit and became elite defensively after. To be honest I'm having trouble comparing Rakel's skill set to anyone.
I see, and agree. I don't find it to be easy to come up with a comparable, either.

Maybe a young Mike Fisher or Vermette.
Best I could come up with so far is modern Hossa.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
With the way Ricky can dangle the puck through traffic and beat defenders 1 on 1, I can understand why those brilliant flashes look like shades of elite players to some (Getz, Perry, Malkin, Dats, etc.)

I see Rakell something like a Filppula type, maybe in the realm of Jordan Staal when all is said and done. He could have a higher ceiling, but it all comes down to not just his skill level (which is high), but his ability to perform consistently (which is way too soon to draw conclusions on).

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Seen to little of him in NHL, but in the WJC he did play with physicality....does he do that in NHL?

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
Seen to little of him in NHL, but in the WJC he did play with physicality....does he do that in NHL?

He's tenacious, in no way is he a bigger hitter but he doesn't back away from physicality. He's quite strong on the puck and good at shielding it from defenders as well, if that's included in your assessment of physicality.

jka*

I was thinking moving Vermette to LW and rolling him up and down the lineup with him taking key draws for Rakell on the third line if need be.

Something like:

Maroon/Vermette - Getzlaf - Perry
Beleskey - Kesler - Palmieri
Maroon/Vermette - Rakell - Silfverberg
Cogs - Thompson - Jackman

Great top-8 top players in black.

:nod:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
He's tenacious, in no way is he a bigger hitter but he doesn't back away from physicality. He's quite strong on the puck and good at shielding it from defenders as well, if that's included in your assessment of physicality.

He has good escape ability, kinda like how perry does add that to the fact that hes a much better skater then perry and he becomes very dangerous in tight situations.... he doesnt hit an awful lot.... but i have seen him throw his weight around when needed.

I think he has a pretty high offensive side as far as puck handling/passing goes... idk if its because we have silf kesler perry getzlaf but his shot seems kinda average.

He is probably the highlight of the season for me so far.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
While slowing down offensively, Rak has improved in faceoffs lately. He was around 44% for the most part of the season but has now improved to over 47% already. I don`t know where to check that but i believe he has been well over 50% over the last month.

Simple percentage numbers per game is here: http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8476483&season=20142015&view=log

One step at the time for him i guess.

He doesn't get credit for losing a faceoff by virtue of getting kicked out of the circle. He tries that 180, sweeping technique that only works if he times it perfectly and he fails, a lot. At least three or four times a guy he gets kicked out of the circle and it's driving me crazy. He's really not very good at faceoffs and he's resorting to a borderline cheating tactic.

bumperkisser

Mar 31, 2009
He doesn't get credit for losing a faceoff by virtue of getting kicked out of the circle. He tries that 180, sweeping technique that only works if he times it perfectly and he fails, a lot. At least three or four times a guy he gets kicked out of the circle and it's driving me crazy. He's really not very good at faceoffs and he's resorting to a borderline cheating tactic.

whatever gets the job done lol.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
It doesn't, that's the problem. He gets kicked out and the winger who steps in invariably loses the draw. He either needs to prefect the timing or stop doing it. He gets kicked out of the circle way too much.

Exactly. All the best faceoff guys cheat - well. If you can't cheat well, stop cheating until you can.

ADHB

Sponsor
Apr 9, 2012
Does he even know how to win a draw on the backhand? Honestly I can't recall a time over the last 10 games where he has done anything other than trying to "beat the snap" with that circular forehand BS.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
7 games 1 goal 0 assists

Cause for concern? The 3rd line has been a weakness with Palms also having only 1 point in 7 games.

Only option at third line center would be to move Thompson into the role.

duxfan1101

Sep 20, 2014
California
7 games 1 goal 0 assists

Cause for concern? The 3rd line has been a weakness with Palms also having only 1 point in 7 games.

I personally think Palmieri is the weak link on that line. I'd like to give Sekac a shot with Rakell and Cogliano then evaluate Rakell.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
7 games 1 goal 0 assists

The third line was a weakness for the first time last game. Prior to that they'd had a bunch of chances but not much finish. Scoring hasn't been a weakness for the team at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad