Value of: Rickard Rakell to Toronto

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Byron is a deal killer for me. No interest in taking back a 3 year deal.

I think that says more about the offers in this thread.

Coleman got his return and Rakell is better is every facet of the game and would be cheaper if the Ducks retained, AND the cap is in a way worse situation then when that trade was made.

It may not be a buyers market, but it is a buyers market for a top 6 winger with a cap hit around 1.9 mil. 1st + Lilegren would be fine, but I expect they could get more at the deadline if there are multiple teams who want a top 6 winger and only have a little bit of cap.

1. Nobody cares, that was last season. The reality is the Ducks best offer isn't guaranteed to be better than that. If the Ducks don't pull the trigger, they're the one that loses Rakell for nothing. Just because the Leafs traded 2 top 10 picks for Phil Kessel doesn't mean another team is going to do the same for Nylander.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm aware. What do you think he returns? He has a bit under 2 years at a good cap hit and is a 20 goal 50 point winger. I don't see him returning 2 1sts worth of value, 2nd line wingers don't return that value especially with limited term

If you try to dump a contract on them they don't want cause you are tight against the cap, that will increase the futures return, Don't yeah think? If the Leafs had the cap space, that's a different story

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1. Nobody cares, that was last season. The reality is the Ducks best offer isn't guaranteed to be better than that. If the Ducks don't pull the trigger, they're the one that loses Rakell for nothing. Just because the Leafs traded 2 top 10 picks for Phil Kessel doesn't mean another team is going to do the same for Nylander.

Ducks don't care about your "trade him to us or you loose him" narrative either

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

I care. and considering it was the last deadline deal made for a top 6 winger, I think it is a good barometer.

Oh and by the way, you realize he still has a year left on his contract right?.....
The reality is the Ducks don't HAVE to do shit. Believe it or not but their existence is not to make the Leafs better.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
He still has 2 years left with this steal of a contract, that increases his value in pandemic times. I fully disagree with your statement. If the goal is to trade him for a 1st + B prospect than ANA can wait next year to move him, you've got to entice them to let him go now rather than next year.

for players with 1+ yr left on his contract....

after the midpoint of the season, the max retention is the time left in the season. The deadline is around 25%.

that makes Rakell free to acquiring team this year. Thsts a benefit to teams near the cap this year.

likely return woukd be a playoff 1st and a B prospect. Since a lot of teams will still be near the bubble, many teams will either playoff protects pick or you get a better prospect and a 2nd and the 2nd becomes a 1st based on playoff advancement.

iftheir is a bidding war another prospect coukd be added but no team is giving up their top 3-5 prospect

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
I care. and considering it was the last deadline deal made for a top 6 winger, I think it is a good barometer.

Oh and by the way, you realize he still has a year left on his contract right?.....
The reality is the Ducks don't HAVE to do shit. Believe it or not but their existence is not to make the Leafs better.

If you could actually read you'd realize I've acknowledged that in my posts in this thread.

I never said the Ducks have to do anything for the Leafs, my point was if you're holding out for an offer that tops Liljegren + 1st and never get it, guess what? The Ducks keep him and have less term remaining on his deal = less return. Also doesn't help that Rakell has been on fire to start this year with 2 points in 7 games.

I remember Ducks fans with similar sentiments regarding Manson for Nylander. Droves of Ducks fans saying that they need more, now they'd be lucky to get 1/2 of Nylander for that pylon.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Rakell isn't worth the equivalent of 2+ 1st rounders.

Probably the classic 1st +B/C prospect

In a normal, non flat cap situation that might be true, but that's obviously not the case now. The request here is for the Ducks to both retain and take back a cap dump and your valuation offers no compensation for either of those things.

The flat cap means a contract like his holds extra value- with retention it's sub 2M for a top 6 player . Several teams would easily outbid TOR with that offer.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If you could actually read you'd realize I've acknowledged that in my posts in this thread.

I never said the Ducks have to do anything for the Leafs, my point was if you're holding out for an offer that tops Liljegren + 1st and never get it, guess what? The Ducks keep him and have less term remaining on his deal = less return. Also doesn't help that Rakell has been on fire to start this year with 2 points in 7 games.

I remember Ducks fans with similar sentiments regarding Manson for Nylander. Droves of Ducks fans saying that they need more, now they'd be lucky to get 1/2 of Nylander for that pylon.
don’t get why your so mad at this thread, if you don’t like the potential cost don’t worry about it.

ducks arnt offering Rakell to leafs, if he’s available it’s to the league.

And liljegren just isn’t an enticing enough prospect for us, even with a late 1st.... we think we can get better. Timmins + 1st has been discussed and timmins is better than liljegren.... Montreal fans have offered pretty solid deals.... flame fans have given decent offers.

As for Manson part a lot of the nylander talk was after his big year which we should have sold high... the more recent talks were aj/kap + liljegren/pick

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
for players with 1+ yr left on his contract....

after the midpoint of the season, the max retention is the time left in the season. The deadline is around 25%.

that makes Rakell free to acquiring team this year. Thsts a benefit to teams near the cap this year.

likely return woukd be a playoff 1st and a B prospect. Since a lot of teams will still be near the bubble, many teams will either playoff protects pick or you get a better prospect and a 2nd and the 2nd becomes a 1st based on playoff advancement.

iftheir is a bidding war another prospect coukd be added but no team is giving up their top 3-5 prospect

Maybe I am wrong but I believe if the word is out that Rakell is available, a bidding war will start, just because of his contract. I think a team like TOR, COL, VGK could offer a top prospect if they really want Rakell to come.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
don’t get why your so mad at this thread, if you don’t like the potential cost don’t worry about it.

ducks arnt offering Rakell to leafs, if he’s available it’s to the league.

And liljegren just isn’t an enticing enough prospect for us, even with a late 1st.... we think we can get better. Timmins + 1st has been discussed and timmins is better than liljegren.... Montreal fans have offered pretty solid deals.... flame fans have given decent offers.
I'm cool, all I'm saying is list some potential offers you think you could get from other teams that would:

1. Top that offer
2. The other team would actually agree to it

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I'm cool, all I'm saying is list some potential offers you think you could get from other teams that would:

1. Top that offer

this is a Rakell to leafs thread so you won’t see many offers here, but Rakell value thread you would see more offers from other teams

Reactions: banks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
You say think like Toronto is winning games 7-2. Rakell on any other Canadian team definitely makes them a threat. Especially when those teams are already threats

I would prefer they won a couple games 7-2, a few less heart attacks would be nice, but the important thing is they are 6-2 and they are winning those games

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019

1. Top that offer

The post you quoted explicitly mentioned Timmins and a 1st, and referenced potential deals with Montreal and Calgary. He already posted what you're now hounding him for.

By the way, I think Liljegren and a 1st is a good offer. But I don't see why you need to force other fans to like it. @Getz2noone has a point that many other teams might bring something to the table, and there might be a better organizational fit than Liljegren.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The post you quoted explicitly mentioned Timmins and a 1st, and referenced potential deals with Montreal and Calgary. He already posted what you're now hounding him for.

By the way, I think Liljegren and a 1st is a good offer. But I don't see why you need to force other fans to like it. @Getz2noone has a point that many other teams might bring something to the table, and there might be a better organizational fit than Liljegren.
I don’t think anyone thinks liljegren + 1st is bad... it really depends on your personal feelings on liljegren ... I think if we move Rakell we’ll be targetting a forward more than likely.

A lot of teams are in play on a retained Rakell, in the Canadian division alone prob everyone but ott would be asking

Reactions: banks

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I don't see how the Leafs could make it fit. They would need to move Kerfoot to fit this in and that would just create another problem. Even if Anaheim retains half we don't really have salary to send their way.

I could be wrong, but I think Engvall + Dermott for Rakell (~50%) would work cap wise. Then you factor whatever picks/prospects that need to be added to make it work value wise.

The issue with this potential deal, it more about the expansion draft. You now either leave Rakell exposed in the expansion draft, or you need to expose someone like Justin Holl.

Or you need to give Seattle something to not take whoever you do leave exposed.

Not ideal.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
I’d offer

Mikheyev ( solid replacement who’s younger and Cheaper if you guys don’t know about him there’s a lot to like he’s a fan favourite in Toronto very few flaws in game but doesn’t wow. Very versatile middle 6 winger )
Dermott ( solid 4-5 LHD very solid plays a vanilla brand of hockey and makes few mistakes has played on right side before he’s not as good there but he’s still an upgrade on what Anaheim has there. Probably who Seattle takes in expansion draft from Anaheim.)
1st 2021

for
Rakel

That’s probably my best offer. I’d push for retention which honestly isn’t a big deal from Anaheim’s POV but there is a chance Toronto gets out bid here which I’d be okay with.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If Anahiem is out of it at the deadline and fully comes to terms with rebuilding, I'd call and be asking for Manson not Rakell depending on how he plays after returning to the lineup. Bogosian has been ok and offers some nice grit on 3rd pair RD but upgrading to Manson would be better then upgrading at 3rd line wing where we have good players already.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
If selling Rakell at this deadline or next deadline isn't going to make a huge difference (this year is a 1st and an unneeded prospect, next year is a 1st and a slightly worse unneeded prospect) save him for next year. Let the kids develop an extra year with that insulation and 2022 draft is supposed to be better, right?

Hierso

Time to Rock
Oct 2, 2018
I’d offer

Mikheyev ( solid replacement who’s younger and Cheaper if you guys don’t know about him there’s a lot to like he’s a fan favourite in Toronto very few flaws in game but doesn’t wow. Very versatile middle 6 winger )
Dermott ( solid 4-5 LHD very solid plays a vanilla brand of hockey and makes few mistakes has played on right side before he’s not as good there but he’s still an upgrade on what Anaheim has there. Probably who Seattle takes in expansion draft from Anaheim.)
1st 2021

for
Rakel

That’s probably my best offer. I’d push for retention which honestly isn’t a big deal from Anaheim’s POV but there is a chance Toronto gets out bid here which I’d be okay with.

Pretty sure this is exactly the type of a deal the ducks aren't looking for. Low end 1st + two dime of a dozen players. If they trade Rakell it should be for picks + prospects, not temporary pieces.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Rakell isn't worth the equivalent of 2+ 1st rounders.

Probably the classic 1st +B/C prospect

In a vacuum, I'd agree, but there's no incentive for the Ducks to trade Rakell right now. If they were gonna trade him, it should have been done during the draft. Right now, the Ducks are off a half decent start in a weak division. Colorado, Vegas and to a lesser degree St. Louis should all be locks to make the playoffs. But Anaheim is in the mix for the 4th spot, and as long as we're in the race we're not trading Rakell for anything but an overpayment. Even more so if we are gonna have to retain salary.

I'd want a 1st, Topi Niemila and Ilya Mikheyev back.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
I understand for cap reasons, but I don't think Kerfoot should be part of the deal, cause right after you are looking for a centre depth. I'm not saying he's better than Rakell, not at all, but with additional pieces it wouldn't make sense.

I also don't think Robertson or Amirov should be on the table, and not sure the Ducks would be interested in Abramov, Hallinder or Hirvonen.

Rakell would be a nice fit, but I'm not sure the pieces needed to acquire him would be the best idea to give up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad