Value of: Rickard Rakell to Calgary?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Rakell is like Forsberg-lite. Legit scoring winger whose stats have been suppressed by a bad offensive team - but he’s having a season regardless. He and Comtois might be tied in points but Comtois is shooting an unsustainable 19% while Rakell despite 19 points in 26 games is shooting less than 8%. Once that normalizes to a level more commensurate with a goal scorer who has twice flirted with 35 goals - his stats will look even better.

Ducks shouldn’t and won’t let him go for cheap. He’s not a rental. He’s a bargain contract for 1.5 more seasons. He’s still only 27. And he’s by far their best offensive player who is a proven 30+ goal scorer when his team isn’t tanking or rebuilding.

Reactions: WhatTheDuck

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rakell is like Forsberg-lite. Legit scoring winger whose stats have been suppressed by a bad offensive team - but he’s having a season regardless. He and Comtois might be tied in points but Comtois is shooting an unsustainable 19% while Rakell despite 19 points in 26 games is shooting less than 8%. Once that normalizes to a level more commensurate with a goal scorer who has twice flirted with 35 goals - his stats will look even better.

Ducks shouldn’t and won’t let him go for cheap. He’s not a rental. He’s a bargain contract for 1.5 more seasons. He’s still only 27. And he’s by far their best offensive player who is a proven 30+ goal scorer when his team isn’t tanking or rebuilding.
Haha well last week Rakell was shooting 1.7 percent I think.... he’s finally getting rewarded for his strong play. I think he has 12 points in last 6 games.

Rakell has been our best player by a bit this year, and while I think he is more a complimentary tip line player.... he’s really stepped up this year and showed he can generate some offense without a top flight center, him and comtois have showed good chemistry together.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
We aren't trading Zary for him, if we were in Tampa's shoes and a lock for the playoffs but just missing that final piece sure, but that's not the case here
You’ll learn to kinda ignore that poster, flames are in a weird spot where they can make a move to get to playoffs but I don’t think they are what I would call contenders.... even with a move like hall.

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA

What's been great about Comtois is as his shooting percentage has been dropping, he's still picking up points (3 assists last night). As he gets better, the shooting % will drop (from taking more shots) but his passing has gotten better and he has a good enough shot that he'll pick up assists of rebounds. I think a reason he had such a high shooting percentage was the type of shots he was taking... almost every shot/goal was within about 5-10 feet of the net with the goalie out of position. He'll keep scoring those goals at a high %, but he'll start taking more shots from outside that 10 feet away that will get stopped.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ledge And Dairy

You’ll learn to kinda ignore that poster, flames are in a weird spot where they can make a move to get to playoffs but I don’t think they are what I would call contenders.... even with a move like hall.
Noted

We'll see what the Flames are soon I think, Sutter had them bag skate today which I think is something they needed for a while. Calgary has literally only showed up to about half their games this season

Reactions: Nanuuk

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What's been great about Comtois is as his shooting percentage has been dropping, he's still picking up points (3 assists last night). As he gets better, the shooting % will drop (from taking more shots) but his passing has gotten better and he has a good enough shot that he'll pick up assists of rebounds. I think a reason he had such a high shooting percentage was the type of shots he was taking... almost every shot/goal was within about 5-10 feet of the net with the goalie out of position. He'll keep scoring those goals at a high %, but he'll start taking more shots from outside that 10 feet away that will get stopped.

Yeah Comtois is kinda Brady Tkachuk-esque in cashing in around the net with chaos. Good player for sure.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Noted

We'll see what the Flames are soon I think, Sutter had them bag skate today which I think is something they needed for a while. Calgary has literally only showed up to about half their games this season
I think sutter is a good coach for that flames core tbh, I think he’s going to get more out of that line up and put em in a spot to consider buying big at deadline

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I think sutter is a good coach for that flames core tbh, I think he’s going to get more out of that line up and put em in a spot to consider buying big at deadline
I wish I shared your confidence. They have no room to buy big unless big salary is going the other way in return. And if Sutter gets the team to be challenging for a play-off spot, do you change the chemistry with a big trade?

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I wish I shared your confidence. They have no room to buy big unless big salary is going the other way in return. And if Sutter gets the team to be challenging for a play-off spot, do you change the chemistry with a big trade?
Well I think that’s where a guy like Rakell comes in as we can retain him down to 1.9 for 2 years.... and we also have space and time to take short term cap dumps to help trades go through. So really you don’t lose anyone chemistry wise and you add a versatile player.... but ultimately we have to see if sutter can get them to that point

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Pretty big Rakell guy and think he'd fit great in Calgary. Before the season started I would have had no problem with doing a 1st +. Now that the season is in such a dire spot though I don't think it's such a great idea, maybe revisit it at the TDL.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Rakell is 27 !!? Holy crap im old. I thought he was 22-23 tops. Time flys. I was thinking of a trade by the Devils for him to replace Palmieri but I would prefer to have someone the same age as our core.
I feel Rakell is under rated and if given the right line mates, he could break his career high in goals.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Rakell is 27 !!? Holy crap im old. I thought he was 22-23 tops. Time flys. I was thinking of a trade by the Devils for him to replace Palmieri but I would prefer to have someone the same age as our core.
I feel Rakell is under rated and if given the right line mates, he could break his career high in goals.
Ya ducks offense and power play sucks

Ledge And Dairy

Today on SN's 31 thoughts with Friedman
upload_2021-3-16_21-24-28.png

Young player with an NHL track record seems like a pretty high price. Maybe they were asking for Dube/Mangiapane along with a presumed 1st (maybe conditional)? If so I completely understand Flames walking away, personally I wouldn't do Mange 1 for 1. Dube is also a pretty big part of the top 6 core while still on his ELC, adding to the top 6 by subtracting from it is never a good idea. Only other names I could see Flames offering that fill that request are Bennett, Simon, and Kylington. None of them are probably of major interest to Anaheim since they aren't expansion exempt. Bennett would probably hold the most value but if acquired they would probably be looking at flipping him to a playoff team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad