Value of: Rickard Rakell to Calgary?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
And that is the key to any trade the Flames make. If they want to keep a new RW longer term, the player going back would have to be someone that you'd reasonable expect them to protect during the expansion draft.

Off hand that would be one of Gaudreau, Monahan, Lindholm, Tkachuk, Backlund, Dube, Mangiapane, Hanifin, Andersson, Tanev, Markstrom. This assumes Lucic waives his NMC.

So the long and the short of it is that the Flames would need to part with someone where we have positional strength (LW and LD) if they didn't want to lose the inbound player in the draft.
Thats not entirely true. Moving one of the defensive protection spots doesn't change the protection situation in the forward group. As far as I know, we're still only allowed to protect a maximum of 7 forwards.

Last edited:

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
He was playing with Getzlaf those years mostly, so it makes sense his shooting percentages would be higher when Getzlaf was still performing like a number 1 center because there's going to be higher quality shooting opportunities...

So every one should pay out their ass for a player that's good when he's played with someone who has to drive the play for him? he's not worth a 1st+ top prospect

Reactions: Crazy8oooo

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rakell has been one of the Ducks best players in a putrid season. Expect to be thrown over a barrel if you want him.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Key word being usually.

Yes he shot better with better linemates but also had much much better quality shots so I'd expect a much higher shooting % playing alongside Getzlaf in his prime.

So he's a 3rd piece to a top line? Which would be a complimentary piece right? And you want pieces back for a star, makes sense, just remember when he's traded for lesser pieces than you want, you were warned, outlier seasons that he had to be carried by Getzlaf and y'all want a 1st and top prospect for him, makes sense

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
So he's a 3rd piece to a top line? Which would be a complimentary piece right? And you want pieces back for a star, makes sense, just remember when he's traded for lesser pieces than you want, you were warned, outlier seasons that he had to be carried by Getzlaf and y'all want a 1st and top prospect for him, makes sense
Kapanen/Coleman literally just got a 1st + good prospect, both lesser players than Rakell.

If you’ve watched any ducks games this season you’d see Rakell is playing fine...a bit unlucky... and not much in terms of support... but very few players could put up points with this ducks roster... and the ones that could you’d be paying a lot more than what’s talked about here.

he is a good compliment piece, he’s shown that with getzlaf when getz could still play hockey and he’s shown that with zibby at world championships

Anything less than a 1st and a solid prospect and we should just keep him.... now Pelletier and Zary might be a bit high on the potential prospect we would get in return, really depends on the market and other teams asking

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Kapanen/Coleman literally just got a 1st + good prospect, both lesser players than Rakell.

If you’ve watched any ducks games this season you’d see Rakell is playing fine...a bit unlucky... and not much in terms of support... but very few players could put up points with this ducks roster... and the ones that could you’d be paying a lot more than what’s talked about here.

he is a good compliment piece, he’s shown that with getzlaf when getz could still play hockey and he’s shown that with zibby at world championships

Anything less than a 1st and a solid prospect and we should just keep him.... now Pelletier and Zary might be a bit high on the potential prospect we would get in return, really depends on the market and other teams asking

Oh you're going love me here, Coleman was seen as a missing piece for TB so they paid a premium to get him, he has intangibles in his all around game.

Kapanen was moved in a cap space move Toronto needed space and when they out the YOUNG forward on the market they took the best possible return they could.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Oh you're going love me here, Coleman was seen as a missing piece for TB so they paid a premium to get him, he has intangibles in his all around game.

Kapanen was moved in a cap space move Toronto needed space and when they out the YOUNG forward on the market they took the best possible return they could.
And I’m sure Rakell seems like the missing piece to certain teams in the league... he doesn’t have a ntc so any team that wants to add a guy to their middle 6 with top line upside and responsible in all 3 zones at a pretty low hit for next 2 seasons.... is a pretty good add to any contender

Last edited:

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think Rackell is probably worth a back half of the 1st round pick and quality prospect, as long as the Ducks are willing to retain on him for the remainder of his 1.5 years under contract.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I think Rackell is probably worth a back half of the 1st round pick and quality prospect, as long as the Ducks are willing to retain on him for the remainder of his 1.5 years under contract.
I think the general consensus is most people who will want Rakell are contenders... so the pick likely will fall in that 18-31 range.... the prospect/s would have to make up a decent amount of value

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
We have a better and younger player in Dube. No thanks. We want an impact right wing right shot. Rather have Palmieri or Silfverberg.

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
for a UFA 40-50 point winger we should pay more than we did for 23 year old Dougie Hamilton?

Coleman had 2 years left on his deal. And I much prefer Pelletier to Foote
Coleman had the same amount of control as Rakell. The season he was traded and the next. Exact same as Rakell

Reactions: Getz2noone

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I wouldn't mind Rakell or Silfverberg. But I can't help but wonder whether Sutter will help someone like Leivo or Dube improve their games to the point that the search for a RW this season would be over. Off season, post draft might be more realistic.

Unless Treliving pulls off a blockbuster of sorts.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I think the general consensus is most people who will want Rakell are contenders... so the pick likely will fall in that 18-31 range.... the prospect/s would have to make up a decent amount of value

Yep. That's totally reasonable.

I think a pick in the 20's and a forward prospect that projects as a middle 6 forward is about the right value the Ducks will be looking for.

Essentially two future, quality assets, for a current quality asset.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
1st + prospect.
2 x 30+ goal scorer, struggling now but his entire team is so it's not a Rakell thing its a Ducks thing. Signed at a very reasonable rate for what he produces for next season as well.

After 3 yrs, I dont think you can claim he is a 30 goal scorer anymore. There has to be a time limit if you cant do it anymore.

Reactions: Bond
Oct 18, 2011
So every one should pay out their ass for a player that's good when he's played with someone who has to drive the play for him? he's not worth a 1st+ top prospect
You're moving the goalposts. You brought up shooting %, and I explained to you why it was so high. Now for the last few years the situation has been flipped upside down, and yet any ducks fan will tell you Rakell is playing very well, arguably the best player on the team but because the team cant score it hasn't translated statistically until recently. And now the points are starting to come, I get it the ducks suck and are boring and nobody wants to watch them.

Rakell is having his best season as a play driver, also there's nothing wrong with guys who aren't those but play well with guys that are

Reactions: duckpuck

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
After 3 yrs, I dont think you can claim he is a 30 goal scorer anymore. There has to be a time limit if you cant do it anymore.
If you’re arguing against Rakell that’s your argument and I understand it 100%. Every time I see him play I know why he got 30. He’s a very good player that has dealt with a huge decline in the skill around him. I think his skill set, signed through next season and cap hit make him very valuable. At 27 he’s right in his prime years. Maybe I overrate him, but I would be looking for a 1st +.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
If you’re arguing against Rakell that’s your argument and I understand it 100%. Every time I see him play I know why he got 30. He’s a very good player that has dealt with a huge decline in the skill around him. I think his skill set, signed through next season and cap hit make him very valuable. At 27 he’s right in his prime years. Maybe I overrate him, but I would be looking for a 1st +.
I think Anaheim fans are fair on our assessment of Rakell.

is he going to turn a bad line good? No prob not.... can he make a good line great, yes definitely. Even tho his goal scoring hasn’t been as good, he’s improved other parts of his game in that time like playmaking and defensive play. He lost a lot of time and space when Anaheim’s vets wernt the players they once were... I mean realistically he is the only player on the team right now that can be a top line player, the rest are basically 3rd liners. He’s been unlucky this year but if the people commenting watched him at all they’d want him on their roster if they see themselves as a contender. He’s started to get rewarded for his good play the last 2 weeks, think he has 8 points in his last 5

I’m not so sure I even want to move him much anymore as I think he could be a good player to put alongside zegras next year comtois-zegras- rakell.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
If the flames don't want him I wouldn't mind him on the oilers for our next two firsts or something around that value

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
I never said he would get a 1st and a top prospect. Wtf? Someone else said a first and a prospect. I could see that for a complimentary winger that can score 65 points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad