Confirmed with Link: Rick Peckham Appreciation Thread (retiring after 2019-2020)

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Edit on Utica: It was, in fact, them but I don't have the slightest damn idea who that announcer was. It wasn't Brendan Burke (now of the Islanders) it was whoever followed him and was apparently replaced in July of last year by their current guy Joe Roberts -who sounds like Goldie on the Panthers -not necessarily a bad thing but Goldie just whines too much.

@LightningStrikes please God not Mishkin..... he is NOT going to contrast well with Engblom and he's gonna scare the shit out of people who don't know who he is. He's gonna hurt ratings unless he can get his goal calls under control. I mean if he could do that yeah he'd be fine. His actual play by play is absolutely fantastic. But that's until we get that shrill, ear-piercing shriek that makes even Doc Emrick go "Damn son"

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
For a replacement, you have to figure that they're going to aim high again as they did with the Engblom hiring.

Sportsnet may continue to fire guys that are too expensive. Other networks like NBC may copycat because it's a way to cut costs. There could be a glut of names becoming available.

Altitude (Colorado's TV channel) is also having some rights issues at the moment. I'd expect it to get cleared up, but they don't have a viewership right now. That could make their guy available if they can't get something done.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
For a replacement, you have to figure that they're going to aim high again like they did with the Engblom hiring.

Sportsnet may continue to fire guys that are too expensive. Other networks like NBC may copycat because it's a way to cut costs. There could be a glut of names becoming available.

Fingers crossed for Chris Cuthbert then. He's far from perfect and a downgrade from Peckham in my opinion but if we're gonna go for a big-box national commentator then he's the top of the bunch. Don't go for the low hanging fruit of Dave Randorf, Paul Romanuk, Kenny Albert.... and for God's sake can we PLEASE put Doc Emrick to the pasture and let John Forslund take over for him for good???

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
For a replacement, you have to figure that they're going to aim high again as they did with the Engblom hiring.

Altitude (Colorado's TV channel) is also having some rights issues at the moment. I'd expect it to get cleared up, but they don't have a viewership right now. That could make their guy available if they can't get something done.
Might be a good idea to see who's Engblom worked with in the past and get his opinion on who he'd like to possibly team up with again.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Little bit of Peckham throwback from the Hartford days.... and against none other than the Lightning. Freaking love it man

A young Paul Porter on PA, a young Peckham for the Whalers.... 26 years ago the day before my 5th birthday DAMN!!!

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
He'll be missed for real.
The Bolts games won't be the same without him and his voice.
When I've started to follow and know this team, Mr. Peckham was one of the first voices I've heard.
He is/was like a friend who I see the games together with because, during all these nights, I knew that I could always find him (and the rest of the crew), on my TV.
It's a very sad news :( :( :(

But I hope the best for him, for his future and for his family.
Once a Bolt, 4ever a Bolt!
Thank you, Mr. Peckham, for what you've done with and for us!

<3 <3

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Might be a good idea to see who's Engblom worked with in the past and get his opinion on who he'd like to possibly team up with again.
Unfortunately, his frequent national game partner Dave Strader passed away.

I had to go back to 98-99 to find a different PBP partner. Steve Levy would be the only guy that really 'fits the mold' we're talking about.

Maelmoor

Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
Aaw, that is sad news :( (though well-deserved for him!) Will feel different hearing someone else than Peckham, wasn't aware he was that old though!

Will be a difficult position to fill..so hope they spend some time on it this year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This would burn my USports news source, but Victor Findlay is a fill-in national PBP if we wanted a younger guy for the next 20+ years potentially.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
But there's nobody that's a fan though up for the position. Peckham brings heart and soul to it because he's a lightning fan through and through. You don't get that with a new hire. Engblom has grown into it, but Peckhams professionalism in that role is a balance of that and fandom.

Agree nobody will come close. At least not for a while.

Reactions: AlwaysSunnyInTampa

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I started watching games regularly in 1995 so he's the only voice I've known (besides Mishkin and YESSIR! Larry Hirsch on the radio). Knew it was coming soon after Chief took a step back, but gonna miss Rick a lot. Real classy guy and did a good job of being aware of the other teams as well as the Bolts, which added a lot to the broadcast.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
But there's nobody that's a fan though up for the position. Peckham brings heart and soul to it because he's a lightning fan through and through. You don't get that with a new hire. Engblom has grown into it, but Peckhams professionalism in that role is a balance of that and fandom.
RP calls the game very objectively and impartially (unlike many other PBPs in the league). And yet you can tell he's a Lightning fan through and through. He rarely let's it show though which makes moments like his Point or Stamkos goal calls so much more awesome. It's like he forgets for just a moment that he's in the booth and joins his fellow Bolts fans screaming and losing his mind.

He has also a very broad knowledge about the game and the other teams. I'm glad he got the chance to call several games and playoffs series on national TV as well. Other teams' fans quickly realized that we have such a gem on our hands. Damn, he'll be missed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
One of the more under-appreciated voices in the business. I think one of the reasons Chief worked so well as a color guy is Peckham called things so straight and, for a team play-by-play guy, fairly unbiased.

If they promote Mishkin, it'll probably make us appreciate Engblom more. :p

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad