Value of: Rick Nash

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Are you saying the leafs are too good for a player like Rick Nash on a presumed bargain 1 year deal?
As a contentious, two way defensive stalwart, he would be your second or third best winger come April when the game ramps up and gets gritty. Unless I’m missing someone, I’d only put him behind Marner and maybe Marleau once the playoffs start. Parlay mike’s kid into a defensive upgrade, and add Nash? Leafs are the top team in hockey to me.
He's a dinosaur we don't sign those guys anymore. You know the type that play somewhere else when they are younger and then come home to the Leafs when its retirement time.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
He's a dinosaur we don't sign those guys anymore. You know the type that play somewhere else when they are younger and then come home to the Leafs when its retirement time.

I'm not sure you have watched Rick Nash play on a regular basis, how is he a dinosaur? He does not have an issue with skating or keeping up to the speed of the game considering someone of his size. You sound like you are describing Lucic.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Not I. he didn't want to play here when he was good, we don't need him now that we are good. Just gotta love Karma. lol!

It's probably not Karma as he most likely still doesn't want to play there. But people change their minds all the time, you can't hold a grudge because he made a career decision he felt would benefit him more. It probably had less to do with winning and more to do with the media and being more of a quiet person.

He became a much better hockey player who started thinking defense first. The smooth, quick hands started to fade away, and he spent the last few years battling through injuries, especially concussions. If he's dealing with any lingering symptoms at all, he should hang them up. I respect him for telling teams not to pencil him in, go after somebody else on July 1st. He could have easily signed a deal just to collect a paycheck but he showed a lot more respect to other teams.

Last edited:

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Dude had 2 concussions a season as a ranger. I think he even had 3 his second year. I honestly believe he could be a second liner on almost every team in the league and if he got to be a third liner he would benifit from getting easier assignments. Dude just needs to get his head straight.

Reactions: haveandare

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

You didn't really watch Nash play last year did you?

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Disagreed. I don't see Nash as a player who coasts around at all.

Coasting? No. He disappears a lot in terms of offense, but he doesn't coast.

He's actually transitioned from the power forward game to more of a 2-way winger. That's where that coasting thought is coming from. He's just not the same player after the concussions, and it's more a team's fault as opposed to his if they buy into him at this point expecting that old physical play.

He's still effective, though the concussions and injuries have made him far more wary of driving to the net like he used to. I can't blame him for that. We've seen time and time again what multiple concussions have done to players during and after their playing days.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
hopefully he's practicing not shooting it at the goalies chest this summer

He creates so many chances on his own to shoot it right at the goalie

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It's too bad he's not one year older, once he's 35 he can start getting performance bonus laden one-year deals that would make lots of contenders interested.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
The best option for Rick Nash is to just retire. He's made a ton of money over the course of his career. He should be set for life.

He's had a bunch of concussions during his time with the Rangers. I would bet he still has lingering issues from them.

Also, during camp last season, he mentioned how much harder he's had to work on conditioning and nutrition just to keep up as he's aged. Maybe with all the concussions, he just wants to relax and start the next chapter of his life. He definitely has the temperament to be some kind of on-air personality.

With all that being said, he could still step in on the 3rd line of any team in the NHL and be an impact player within that role. He always gave 100% effort in NY. I wish him the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad