Rick Nash Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
Would love to have cap space..buyout Nash - how much cap space do you save? I haven't done the calculation, and how long is there dead cap space? Then, who can you get, without trading a body or draft pick, for that money saved?

I wasn't talking about buying out Nash. Someone mentioned Nash has lots of trade value, so I said we should trade him.

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
I wasn't talking about buying out Nash. Someone mentioned Nash has lots of trade value, so I said we should trade him.

ahh, getting confused with everything being thrown around. I'm sure he does have trade value. He's been consistently around 30 goals a year for a pretty long while, but I don't think anyone takes him at his cap hit and doesn't he have a NMC, obviously limiting trading partners.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Yup, our 25 goal, $7.8 million winger will be right back there on our top line. Not to mention his three goals in 25 playoff games.
God damn is this a pile of crap

He had 26 goals in 65 games. Convenient to leave that little tidbit out, because it suits your agenda. We don't even make the playoffs without Nash.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
God damn is this a pile of crap

He had 26 goals in 65 games. Convenient to leave that little tidbit out, because it suits your agenda. We don't even make the playoffs without Nash.

You're skewing the stat to suit your agenda. His goals per game is now what helps us, it's how many goals he scores. If he only plays 40 games because of concussion issues or whatever, and scores 15 goals, it doesn't matter that his GPG extrapolates to 30 goals - we only get the benefit of 15 goals.

Oh. and you must have forgotten to address his 3 goals in 25 playoff games. Skew that.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
You're skewing the stat to suit your agenda. His goals per game is now what helps us, it's how many goals he scores. If he only plays 40 games because of concussion issues or whatever, and scores 15 goals, it doesn't matter that his GPG extrapolates to 30 goals - we only get the benefit of 15 goals.

Oh. and you must have forgotten to address his 3 goals in 25 playoff games. Skew that.

So 26 goals in 65 games is the same quality of production as 26 in 82 games. Got it.

The playoffs argument has been re-hashed many times. He generated chances and was absolutely a factor in us getting to the finals. He gets so unfairly **** on, it's ridiculous. I guess Tyler Seguin sucks too

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
The difference is that Seguin put up more than a PPG. Sure, it's 7 games, but Seguin is a monster and I can't imagine he wouldn't have carried that on.

I'm not Nash's biggest fan, but i'll acknowledge how big he is for the Kreider-Stepan line. Dude will put up more than 30 goals next year playing with the new Kreider and Stepan. I say 70 points. That's a very, very good first line when you consider the two-way play involved, too.

...but you gotta score in the finals when we have 3 OT games! I'll be the first one to rant about small sample sizes and the ridiculousness of "clutch" and whatnot, but that's a killer.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
So 26 goals in 65 games is the same quality of production as 26 in 82 games. Got it.

26 goals is 26 goals. It's not complicated.

The playoffs argument has been re-hashed many times. He generated chances and was absolutely a factor in us getting to the finals. He gets so unfairly **** on, it's ridiculous. I guess Tyler Seguin sucks too

I was the one on these boards defending Nash during the playoffs, because I thought he was working hard. But saying he was 'a factor' in getting us to the finals is a non-statement. Everyone was 'a factor', but some A LOT more than others. And some have a MUCH higher cap hit. And the two do not have a correlation in this case.

And I did not say Nash sucks.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Yup, our 25 goal, $7.8 million winger will be right back there on our top line. Not to mention his three goals in 25 playoff games.

The last time he scored less than 30 goals in a regular season without a lockout was in in 2006. He's scored less than 30 (again, not counting half seasons due to lockout) three times in his entire career, one of which was in his rookie season in 02.

He's not a 25 goal winger unless you ignore his entire career up until this year.

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
I wouldn't care if he scored 0 regular season goals for the rest of his time here if he scored in the playoffs.

slipknottin

Apr 11, 2011
CT

Again, what does it matter?

How does having no Nash and 7.8 mil in cap room make the rangers better?

You could argue that having that 7.8 mil spent on a better player would help, but there is no better player out there that they can replace Nash with

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I think it's too early to give up on Nash. His play can be damned frustrating IMO, but I keep reminding myself that he has showed signs of being a more engaged player since the Olympic break. Grindingly slow improvement, but hope for the future. A Nash open to the physical contact that being plugged into the game requires = hope that he resumes that scoring thing, not being only defensively responsible (good on him for that, not knocking him for that quite the opposite), or hard working. A Nash averse to contact = a guy you DO want to unload.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Not saying it excuses his lack of production, but when goal scorers dry up they usually are invisible or a detriment to the team. When Nash dryed up he played hard defensively.

I believe he has to figure out the playoffs. His whole career he's beaten people by dancing around open space. That doesn't exist in the playoffs. I think he's starting to learn that and he has to adjust his game completely come playoff time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad