Rick Nash Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I can't find the stat, but isn't Nash in the top 10 for goals/60min or some stat similar to that? Exactly who is going to replace such a high scoring rate?

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
I would just like to thank Larry Brooks for pointing out the obvious today.

Rick Nash is not leaving the Garden
By Larry Brooks July 12, 2014 | 8:26pm

If I had a nickel for every conversation with an NHL front office executive or agent this summer that included the phrase, “The Rangers need to trade Nash,” I would have a nickel from essentially every conversation I have had this summer, and my cap hit would approach Rick Nash’s $7.8 million.
But I’m here to tell you that a trade is not happening. Nash has a no-move clause in his contract in force through the end of this season that management has no intention of asking him to waive and No. 61 has no intention of volunteering to forfeit.
The Rangers are not asking Nash to leave town after two seasons on Broadway in which he led the team in goal-scoring both times, and No. 61 is not asking for an exit from New York after recording a sum of four goals in 37 playoff games.
The concept is not on the table for either party.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
"The Rangers need to trade Nash" so we can sign Brooks Orpik for 5.5 million.

My deference to the people who run these teams goes down every day.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This was the EXACT argument CBJ fans (and a whole lot of Rangers fans) were making at the 2012 trade deadline. That once Nash left Columbus and was on a line with Richards/Stepan and Gabby, he was going to be an 80 point guy. On the main boards, CBJ fans wanted Girardi, one of Kreider/Stepan, Erixon and a first if they were going to part with such an "elite" offensive talent. Meanwhile, on the CBJ boards, they were all complaining about his lack of heart and only showing up when he felt like it. This is why I was against this trade from the beginning - because while some players benefit from a change of scenery, generally, what you see is what you get. Someone like Malkin can take over a game no matter who his line mates are. Nash can't, but he gets paid Malkin money and his cap hit is the main thing hamstringing this team, despite the fact that we have two perfectly serviceable right wings in Zucc and St. Louis (and Cally before him).

"Ooooh! Once he's on a line with Gabby and Ritchie, he's gonna be unstoppable!"

Derp.

"Ummmm... He's played decent defensively..."

If that ain't a free pass - especially after the Dubinsky lynch mob after one crappy season, I don't know what is.

Agreed. :laugh:

ltrangerfan

Jul 24, 2010
This was the EXACT argument CBJ fans (and a whole lot of Rangers fans) were making at the 2012 trade deadline. That once Nash left Columbus and was on a line with Richards/Stepan and Gabby, he was going to be an 80 point guy. On the main boards, CBJ fans wanted Girardi, one of Kreider/Stepan, Erixon and a first if they were going to part with such an "elite" offensive talent. Meanwhile, on the CBJ boards, they were all complaining about his lack of heart and only showing up when he felt like it. This is why I was against this trade from the beginning - because while some players benefit from a change of scenery, generally, what you see is what you get. Someone like Malkin can take over a game no matter who his line mates are. Nash can't, but he gets paid Malkin money and his cap hit is the main thing hamstringing this team, despite the fact that we have two perfectly serviceable right wings in Zucc and St. Louis (and Cally before him).

"Ooooh! Once he's on a line with Gabby and Ritchie, he's gonna be unstoppable!"

Derp.

"Ummmm... He's played decent defensively..."

If that ain't a free pass - especially after the Dubinsky lynch mob after one crappy season, I don't know what is.

I'm not saying the Nash trade was a great trade or even defending Nash's offensive performance to date (maybe being resigned to the probability that he is what he has shown is a defense?). Those looking to move Nash seem to want him out since expectations haven't been met. They just want Nash gone without regard to what value does he offer today versus what return is fair value. I am reminded of times that when I maintain a poor trading position and it starts to eat at me. I want it gone. Only after I sell/cover do I feel better. I just want the position to go away. While it's there I have a reminder of a mistake that festers.

My point was that playing on today's Rangers Gabby wouldn't have the outstanding goal scoring performance that we saw in the playoffs this year. Also Dubi would still be Dubi... 18-20 goals seasons.

Has Nash performed to expectations ? NO.

Could his performance improve elsewhere? Maybe. Ask Gabby.

Looking at players who went through offensive struggles with the Rangers and excel elsewhere are nice to look at. The limited offense the Rangers currently exhibit might be some of the problem? Perhaps with more skill around the players Dubi and Gabby might still be around?

If your point is that Nash never met expectations. I agree. If your point is that the Rangers overpaid? You are correct. If your point is that Dubi or Gabby were the solution... Then my answer is they might be better offensive players since being sent away from this current Ranger roster. This team has too little offensive skill and needed changes. They still do.

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Uncle Larry's right, it doesn't make sense to trade him, especially when he's going to garner $.60 on the $1.

Basically he's a talent that you move its least expected, when his value is high during a regular season hot streak a season or two from now, not after his no show in the playoffs. A team desperate to make the playoffs will more likely bite then a team trying to get over the top in the playoffs.

4 goals in 37 playoff games with the Rangers in 2 seasons is a 4th line winger scoring clip. It's a miracle that the team won as many rounds as they did with that kind of production from their best scorer, but that just goes to show you why Hank is that damn good, and why Mac Truck is the Mac Truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad