Rick Nash has retired

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Came in to talk about Nash, instead see the same old bull**** from the same old triggered Leaf fan. :facepalm:

I wish Nash well, it's a shame to see any player have to retire on these type of terms.

Yeah, I don’t wish that on anyone. Also, People I don’t think really appreciate how good Nash was. He was with the blue jackets in their infancy so I guess he didn’t get a ton of coverage. He was also a really good defensive forward. I hope he is able to live a normal life with no lingering affects. I always appreciate players who have contributed so much to the game we all love.

Reactions: PWJunior

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't think he is over rated around here, people view him mostly as what he was, a good, sometimes very good hockey player, it's not like anyone thinks he's a legend or something.

He had a good career.

Reactions: NiftyMits

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I remember he was near the top for goals scored between 2002 and I want to say 2014. It was him, Iginla, Ovechkin, and Kovalchuk I think.

Only reason to go watch a Jackets game from when he was drafted until he left.

I can't wait to see the reaction on here if/when the Jackets retire his number. As a player, no he doesn't deserve that. But he was the best and arguably most important player for the franchises' first 15 years of existence which gives him a shot.

Reactions: Monk

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
You are pretending that I am the lone fan who has ever said this.

I'm OBSERVING you being the only person in this thread trying to shit talk about a guy who was just forced to retire.

You could have left it at "meh, always thought he was a bit overrated but I wish him well" , yet you keep on harping on and try to convince people of your (silly) opinion.

But carry on, I'm sure you believe you are very knowledgeable. Never stop someone from buying into their own ignorance.

I'm out, keep on ranting brother.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Wasn’t there an article on NHL.com or somewhere calling Nash the best goal scorer at the time (specifically mentioned better than ovechkin)

I seriously remember that... but then I can’t find it so maybe it was a dream. That could be considered overrated.

Anyways, RIP don’t speak ill of the retired
I see an article that says he's in the conversation with Ovechkin and Stamkos for 'best goal scorer', and calls Nash "The most unique goal scorer in the league" in the way that most of his offensive production is a result of his own work and not relying on his line-mates as much, as well as his defensive prowess.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I remember he was near the top for goals scored between 2002 and I want to say 2014. It was him, Iginla, Ovechkin, and Kovalchuk I think.

Only reason to go watch a Jackets game from when he was drafted until he left.

I can't wait to see the reaction on here if/when the Jackets retire his number. As a player, no he doesn't deserve that. But he was the best and arguably most important player for the franchises' first 15 years of existence which gives him a shot.

He definitely deserves it. He was their first true franchise player and he went through a lot of growing pains with the organization. He probably helped create a ton of their fan base and now they’re a legit franchise.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Eh, not really. Years back when Columbus was looking to trade him we weren't on his list of teams, but that was understandable because the Leafs ****ing sucked and were a media gong show because of Burke and Wilson. And most Leaf fans didn't really care cause we needed to rebuild and didn't have the assets to burn on another winger who was entering the later stages of his career.

Last year, the Leafs were one of the teams he wanted to be traded to, but by that point he wasn't the same Nash anymore and most fans didn't want to part with the assets it would've cost to get him either.

Otherwise, there was no chance to get him, as he never hit UFA.
Some. Not all. Not even most. ;)

We did get a lot of crap from the Leafs lunatic fringe at the time, but it was a minority then and it's an even smaller minority now.

* * *​
No, it was some rumour on twitter. There was also accounts he would go to the Leafs. It was up to the Jackets as well, they were going to trade him where they could get the best back.
"Nuh-uh! He wanted us! He never rejected us!"

Seriously, hon, this is getting absurd.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
I see an article that says he's in the conversation with Ovechkin and Stamkos for 'best goal scorer', and calls Nash "The most unique goal scorer in the league" in the way that most of his offensive production is a result of his own work and not relying on his line-mates as much, as well as his defensive prowess.
I think the defensive sloppiness of teams during the regular season deserves some credit too. Maybe he should have learned to use his teammates more. He was legit great up close to the net in particular around the end, but that area closes up in the important games.

I don’t think his style was unique at all, but he certainly was much better at it than any other similar style scorers.

I will say he wasn’t invisible in the playoffs when he wasn’t scoring, defensively though (might have been the NBC crew constantly pointing him out but he was good). I think he would have developed even better on a good team, but we’ll never know. It would explain how he came to carry himself offensively.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Some. Not all. Not even most. ;)

We did get a lot of crap from the Leafs lunatic fringe at the time, but it was a minority then and it's an even smaller minority now.

* * *​

"Nuh-uh! He wanted us! He never rejected us!"

Seriously, hon, this is getting absurd
No never turned down a Toronto trade. No evidence.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Very good career, torwards the end of it he was ridiculously snake bit, or his shot just started to suck. Sad that is has to end like this, I’m a big Nash fan and wish him the best.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers fan here. He was a very good player who was never quite the same after two concussions in such a short span (Jan 2013 from Lucic and Oct 2013 from Stuart). He stopped driving to the net and doing those Jagr-esque moves. He reinvented himself by losing weight and getting faster for 2014-15 and then Bogosian messed up his neck late in the season.

Between these injuries, prior concussions in Columbus (I remember one in like 02 maybe a CBJ fan can verify) and other injuries, he was only a star in name his final few years in NY and more similar to those B-tier power forwards like a prime Bates Battaglia or Mike LeClerc prior to the lockout.

Guy got abused throughout his career. Hacked and wacked. He probably took as much if not more damage than Jagr, Bossy, and Tim Kerr.

A very good player who unfortunately had little support in Columbus, and because we live in a cap world was making star money and had those three numbers ($7.85 I believe) always follow him around.

Now is not the time to criticize or debate, just wish him good health and to be able to watch his family grow up without any symptoms.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
I think the defensive sloppiness of teams during the regular season deserves some credit too. Maybe he should have learned to use his teammates more. He was legit great up close to the net in particular around the end, but that area closes up in the important games.

I don’t think his style was unique at all, but he certainly was much better at it than any other similar style scorers.

I will say he wasn’t invisible in the playoffs when he wasn’t scoring, defensively though (might have been the NBC crew constantly pointing him out but he was good). I think he would have developed even better on a good team, but we’ll never know. It would explain how he came to carry himself offensively.
To be quite honest, I haven't watched enough of Nash's career to really say anything about his defensive game.

I think there was a time when he was legitimately in the conversation as one of the best goal-scorers in the league, I don't think he was ever THE best in his time, but He was definitely in the top echelon of goal-scorers and I don't think anyone could actually claim he was a one-dimensional player.

pettersson

Oct 8, 2018
Can't have an opinion about him as a player anynore ?
The **** ? Gonna have to wait a couple of years ?
Holy f***.

Maybe don't do it on a thread where there are going to be people genuinely upset about him being forced to retire early.

Thinking otherwise speaks volumes of you as a hockey fan.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010

Top 3 goal of all time. This isn't arguable.

Some nice moves, right, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but If you watch it closely you can actually see him losing the puck in the final moment, but somehow it bounces back to his stick from his legs by chance. Also, it's a regular season game against the Phoenix Coyotes against Derek Morris, Keith Ballard and Mikael Tellqvist.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Smart decision. He was a bit frustrating as a Ranger - at times utterly dominant, then long stretches of one after another of nothing but logo-seeking shots and performances of sheer invisibility, but he had his moments.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad