Rick Nash has retired

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Scored 42 goals in 14/15 which was one of the lowest scoring seasons in the NHL since 03/04 which was the lowest scoring season since the 50s. Oh and he scored 41 goals that year.
Fantastic twoway player and 4th in goals in the NHL over his career.

Nash was absolutely amazing in his prime and a damn good player until 15/16 when he started to decline because of injuries. Was still on pace for 20, 28 and 25 goals his last three seasons where he struggled with injuries and wasnt healthy.

He wasnt as good in the playoffs as he should have been but your comment is pretty ignorant, he was an absolutely fantastic goalscorer and twoway player. Which is why he won two olympic golds as well because he could play in all situations and was a fantastic PKer etc.

Again, good player, but lots of excuses other players won't get.

Reactions: Cotton

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I get the strange feeling that some Leafs fans have never forgiven him for not wanting to go to Toronto.
Sorry, when did that occur? He was never UFA.
I did read *if* he was to come back, the Leafs would be his choice this year.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Prime Rick Nash was a monster. Anyone claiming otherwise either didn't watch him enough, or has the recent injury-riddled play of Nash influencing their opinion.
Cliched response. I watched him enough. Good player, but far from the monster the media built him up as.

Reactions: Cotton

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Sorry, when did that occur? He was never UFA.
I did read *if* he was to come back, the Leafs would be his choice this year.
Refused trades there, always signed before he could end up there, and his choice this year was either Toronto or Columbus. And at the moment, the only guy talking crap about him is a Leafs fan.

Now, granted, the Toronto media got into the "NASH IS OUR SAVIOR" frenzy as much as anyone, so I can understand exhaustion based on that. But that's an indictment of Toronto media, not Nash.

EDIT: turns out there were rumors both ways

Reactions: PWJunior

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
When NHL players retire, it's like when musicians die. All of a sudden, they become absolute legends.

People say his talent was wasted but everytime he went into the playoffs, he disappeared.
If only he was russian ...

Reactions: amethyst

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Was always a force in World championships.
Have fond memories of him there, he really kicked some ass for Canada at the WHC, that goal where he dragged the hapless Finn player on his back in the gold medal game and scored a fabulous goal, his back breaker goal against russia at the olys in 2010 will be seared in my memories too. Just those alone make his career to me.

A real good hockey player, I wish him well.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Rumour had it he wanted to come play the back half of the season for the Leafs, so it's unfortunate that couldn't happen, for both parties, but obviously he can't be risking serious brain injury. Made the right choice.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Rumour had it he wanted to come play the back half of the season for the Leafs, so it's unfortunate that couldn't happen, for both parties, but obviously he can't be risking serious brain injury. Made the right choice.
The rumors had it both ways - Leafs and Jackets. Unless a further statement comes out we'll likely never know.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Refused trades there, always signed before he could end up there, and his choice this year was either Toronto or Columbus (and he seemed to be leaning towards Columbus). And at the moment, the only guy talking crap about him is a Leafs fan.

Now, granted, the Toronto media got into the "NASH IS OUR SAVIOR" frenzy as much as anyone, so I can understand exhaustion based on that. But that's an indictment of Toronto media, not Nash.
Where did you read this? I have never heard this at all. I never even heard there was a concrete proposal.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I get the strange feeling that some Leafs fans have never forgiven him for not wanting to go to Toronto.
Eh, not really. Years back when Columbus was looking to trade him we weren't on his list of teams, but that was understandable because the Leafs f***ing sucked and were a media gong show because of Burke and Wilson. And most Leaf fans didn't really care cause we needed to rebuild and didn't have the assets to burn on another winger who was entering the later stages of his career.

Last year, the Leafs were one of the teams he wanted to be traded to, but by that point he wasn't the same Nash anymore and most fans didn't want to part with the assets it would've cost to get him either.

Otherwise, there was no chance to get him, as he never hit UFA.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
During the trade request season. It was confirmed repeatedly that he wasn't going to waive for any Canadian team.
No, it was some rumour on twitter. There was also accounts he would go to the Leafs. It was up to the Jackets as well, they were going to trade him where they could get the best back.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Came in to talk about Nash, instead see the same old bull**** from the same old triggered Leaf fan. :facepalm:

I wish Nash well, it's a shame to see any player have to retire on these type of terms.

You guys are aware how many fanbases have expressed this, right?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Wasn’t there an article on NHL.com or somewhere calling Nash the best goal scorer at the time (specifically mentioned better than ovechkin)

I seriously remember that... but then I can’t find it so maybe it was a dream. That could be considered overrated.

Anyways, RIP don’t speak ill of the retired

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Don't really understand the knee-jerk reaction to shit-talk the guy...

He was a great goal scorer for a long stretch of his career, solid 30-40 goal scorer who carried the Columbus Blue Jackets on his back for far too long. I don't really think he was over-hyped much. Would have loved to see him with a legitimately strong contender to see what he could do.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Wasn’t there an article on NHL.com or somewhere calling Nash the best goal scorer at the time (specifically mentioned better than ovechkin)

I seriously remember that... but then I can’t find it so maybe it was a dream. That could be considered overrated.
The media LOVED Nash. That's only 1 example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad