In Memoriam Rick Jeanneret passes away at 81.

SonOfWade

Feb 28, 2002
Tonawanda, NY
Visit site
Anyone else unable to watch these? I’m just getting the DirecTV logo.
Same here. Looks like DTV didn’t switch over the 635-1 channel to the WNY feed. My 15 year old is not happy, as he was looking forward to watching some of the classic games.

Edit: they are available on the DirecTV app.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
1693173666578.png

Attachments

• 1693173685044.gif
    1693173685044.gif
    278.3 KB · Views: 2

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
If you weren't there, or didn't watch it on tv today, I highly recommend you find it and watch it.
It is worthy, Lots of faces in the crowd also. We lost the best. There is a funny and beautiful segment from Joe Bowen PBP man from the Leafs. Man I'm getting old because he's looking old. Total respect from him and for him though.

Reactions: oldgoalie

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
The Neale-isms were so awesome.

"They were running around their own zone like pregnant foxes in a forest fire."
I don't remember the exact quote word for word but my favourite one from memory was him talking about a player losing a fight against his own shadow. Think it might have been in reference to Pavel Datsyuk, or one of the other Russian players of that era.

Also the way he'd give an exact figure when describing the play 'he shoots the puck from 24 feet out'.

Tough to think that we're unlikely to see the likes of these guys again.

BG82

Jan 25, 2008
Niagara Falls
I will always love Lindy Ruff. His words choked me up.
Underrated coach.. Ruff will always be good with me for his handling of Chris Neil situation with the shot on Drury

RIP to the GOAT Rick Jennerett .. I'm one of the few guys who bought a round of pints for RJ and his son here at his favorite bar Clancys in Niagara Falls.. RJ never accepted people's drinks lol

Reactions: Dingo44

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I'm late.

I was already a Sabres fan, but rolling out of bed, scrambling to put on TSN to see highlights of the Bruins and Sabres from their playoff game the previous night. Spring in Newfoundland, the school year ending, and kids needed to know the scores and big plays, or they weren't a real fan of their team.

TSN was good enough to play RJ's "MAYDAY" call from the radio over the video of Brad May's winning OT goal. To little me, it was the most excited anyone ever sounded over sports, ever. The way his scream of "SCORES!" melted into the goal horn. The sound was one and the same. I still get chills. I hope I'm making sense. I never heard anything like it before, not often heard the like since, other than RJ repeating his mic magic or maybe in soccer.

I followed his career and sought out EMPIRE broadcasts for years after. I was as concerned for his health issues in his later years as I would have been for family. I hoped so badly that he would be in the booth for an eventual Cup victory.

Anyways... no life without death. Glad I had the privilege to be entertained by a natural and a lifetime student of sports broadcasting. I still bow up in bar conversations when the chatter turns to Best PBP caller.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I'm late.

I was already a Sabres fan, but rolling out of bed, scrambling to put on TSN to see highlights of the Bruins and Sabres from their playoff game the previous night. Spring in Newfoundland, the school year ending, and kids needed to know the scores and big plays, or they weren't a real fan of their team.

TSN was good enough to play RJ's "MAYDAY" call from the radio over the video of Brad May's winning OT goal. To little me, it was the most excited anyone ever sounded over sports, ever. The way his scream of "SCORES!" melted into the goal horn. The sound was one and the same. I still get chills. I hope I'm making sense. I never heard anything like it before, not often heard the like since, other than RJ repeating his mic magic or maybe in soccer.

I followed his career and sought out EMPIRE broadcasts for years after. I was as concerned for his health issues in his later years as I would have been for family. I hoped so badly that he would be in the booth for an eventual Cup victory.

Anyways... no life without death. Glad I had the privilege to be entertained by a natural and a lifetime student of sports broadcasting. I still bow up in bar conversations when the chatter turns to Best PBP caller.
so nice to see you here, old friend. please come by and hang with us sometime?

Reactions: newfiejesus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad