In Memoriam Rick Jeanneret passes away at 81.

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I never listen to terrestrial radio anymore. I turned on GR on my way into work yesterday morning and heard Alex Tuch's appearance. He gets it - he is one of us in every possible way.

I was able to watch some of the Sabres Live stuff with various guests - Millsie, Marcus Foligno, Ripper & Danny Gare, Dan Dunleavy - even Doc Emrick. I have no idea how Duffer and Marty held it together for those three hours. We mourn, but we celebrate the magnificent gift RJ gave us all.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Like many have voiced here, this news hit me pretty hard, and in many ways. I was 13 when the Sabres joined the NHL, so 14 when RJ joined the Sabres. I'm 66 now, RJ had been part of my life for 52 years. That's longer than anyone else aside from my parents, my sister and my brother.

I was very fortunate that my uncle had four season tickets to the Sabres from the very first year. So I got to see 5-7 live games a year for quite some time. But on the home front, we were only able to catch games that might have been on local TV. We couldn't afford cable, and and with high school and then my college years during which I lived at home - the only real way to catch the Sabres was the radio broadcast. Usually it was while doing homework or studying. That's where my appreciation for RJ really took hold. I loved listening to the games so much that even after I reached the point that I could afford cable, I didn't bother. I'd listen in the kitchen, out in the garage, outside - wherever I was doing something. I did break down and get Direct TV some time after in the late 90s.

The great calls he made became legendary and have already been discussed. One of the things, though, that I really loved was the way RJ described the action during routine play. You knew who had the puck, where it was on the ice and where it was going. And those changes in tone when something almost or was about to happen just piqued your interest and had you paying full attention. The variety of words he used to describe the movement of the puck were just phenomenal - "ripped, fired, jammed, dumped, poked, punched, shoveled, tapped in, slaps, flipped, rags it, feathers, saucers it, slides it, bounces it, dumps it, drops it, chops it, steers it, hacks it, gathers it, spins it, rattles it, lays it, whips, it, gathers it, reels it, clears it, drags it, tips it, pokes it, swings it, pushes it, slips it - those are all actual descriptions that, along with some variations, RJ used in one of his final games. I just wanted to make a list so I could remember that aspect of his style.

For one of the final games for which he did play by play as he wound down to his final call, my wife noticed that I was not watching the game. She came out to the garage where I was working on something and asked me why I wasn't watching the game. I told her that I wanted to listed to RJs call on the radio one last time - just like I had for all those years - so I could remember how it felt and I have to say, it felt really good and brings a smile to my face. My wife and I were lucky enough to get tickets for RJ night and that was a great night as well. And that last OT goal on his last call couldn't have been scripted any better.

Like so many, I was hoping that RJ would be around for the Sabres return to the playoffs and maybe even a cup - thinking perhaps that he would be invited up to the booth to participate. Then Friday Thursday night, my wife came down to my basement jazz room where I had fallen asleep, woke me up and told me that RJ had passed away. I teared up, then got a text from one of my sons, then from my brother in law in Florida, then another from my brother in PA. It seemed surreal, and I can't believe what a sense of loss I felt. At the same time, there was a feeling of thankfulness that I had the opportunity to hear so many games called by RJ and how much I appreciated his style.

Saturday, my wife and I went down to Alumni plaza, placed some flowers, and read the tributes that had been written and hung. We listened to the highlight loop that was running, then headed over to the Labatt Brewhouse - had a Blue and toasted RJ.

He will be missed.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
FB_IMG_1692622695630.jpg

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Like many have voiced here, this news hit me pretty hard, and in many ways. I was 13 when the Sabres joined the NHL, so 14 when RJ joined the Sabres. I'm 66 now, RJ had been part of my life for 52 years. That's longer than anyone else aside from my parents, my sister and my brother.

I was very fortunate that my uncle had four season tickets to the Sabres from the very first year. So I got to see 5-7 live games a year for quite some time. But on the home front, we were only able to catch games that might have been on local TV. We couldn't afford cable, and and with high school and then my college years during which I lived at home - the only real way to catch the Sabres was the radio broadcast. Usually it was while doing homework or studying. That's where my appreciation for RJ really took hold. I loved listening to the games so much that even after I reached the point that I could afford cable, I didn't bother. I'd listen in the kitchen, out in the garage, outside - wherever I was doing something. I did break down and get Direct TV some time after in the late 90s.

The great calls he made became legendary and have already been discussed. One of the things, though, that I really loved was the way RJ described the action during routine play. You knew who had the puck, where it was on the ice and where it was going. And those changes in tone when something almost or was about to happen just piqued your interest and had you paying full attention. The variety of words he used to describe the movement of the puck were just phenomenal - "ripped, fired, jammed, dumped, poked, punched, shoveled, tapped in, slaps, flipped, rags it, feathers, saucers it, slides it, bounces it, dumps it, drops it, chops it, steers it, hacks it, gathers it, spins it, rattles it, lays it, whips, it, gathers it, reels it, clears it, drags it, tips it, pokes it, swings it, pushes it, slips it - those are all actual descriptions that, along with some variations, RJ used in one of his final games. I just wanted to make a list so I could remember that aspect of his style.

For one of the final games for which he did play by play as he wound down to his final call, my wife noticed that I was not watching the game. She came out to the garage where I was working on something and asked me why I wasn't watching the game. I told her that I wanted to listed to RJs call on the radio one last time - just like I had for all those years - so I could remember how it felt and I have to say, it felt really good and brings a smile to my face. My wife and I were lucky enough to get tickets for RJ night and that was a great night as well. And that last OT goal on his last call couldn't have been scripted any better.

Like so many, I was hoping that RJ would be around for the Sabres return to the playoffs and maybe even a cup - thinking perhaps that he would be invited up to the booth to participate. Then Friday Thursday night, my wife came down to my basement jazz room where I had fallen asleep, woke me up and told me that RJ had passed away. I teared up, then got a text from one of my sons, then from my brother in law in Florida, then another from my brother in PA. It seemed surreal, and I can't believe what a sense of loss I felt. At the same time, there was a feeling of thankfulness that I had the opportunity to hear so many games called by RJ and how much I appreciated his style.

Saturday, my wife and I went down to Alumni plaza, placed some flowers, and read the tributes that had been written and hung. We listened to the highlight loop that was running, then headed over to the Labatt Brewhouse - had a Blue and toasted RJ.

He will be missed.
Well stated.

I was 15 when the Sabres came to town. Your story could be my story.

And a lot of other guys here too.

Wasn't at RJ night but both the wife and I watched it on TV with a lump in our throats.

I always remind her that I married her because her maiden name was Lorentz. Yeah spelled with the tz.

Hey! RJ's former partner....

Abraham de Lacy

I feel like an outsider in the Sabres fanbase (duh … it's because I am …)

Over the past five years of following the team, I got to the point where the sound of RJ gave me the “all is well in the world” vibes. Perhaps it was the timbre of his voice, or his hilarious banter, or just knowing that he'd been a fan long enough to have seen and done it all.

That unexplainable continuity thing that can only be lived and earned rather than learned or bought.

It always gave me a jolt of energy to hear him at the start of a live stream. He made it feel a little more special, a little like a rare privilege to listen in and watch from afar.

I like him and will miss him.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
A call I remember that maybe a few here do….OT, 1981 playoffs, game 1 against the Canucks. Sabres having a rough time against the huge underdog Canucks and the game goes to OT.

Anyway, the Sabres won and I so vividly remember the call on the radio.

“HE SCORES! ALAN HAWORTH! ALAN HAWORTH! ALAN HAWORTH!”

It was like the Drury late goal game that Max won in OT. I believe the Sabres sent that game into OT with a very late goal.

I remember the Sunday night 7pm home games in the 70’s that RJ called on the radio.I remember saying to my Dad that I like Rick better than Ted. And that was saying a lot because Ted was just a classy announcer that had one of those voices that was amazing.

I grew up in a little village south of Buffalo that didn’t have cable TV. That’s how I got to know and love RJ. I actually feel blessed to not have had cable and access to the Sabres home games.

He will be deeply missed. Praying for his family and those closest to him. You just know Rob Ray is having a terrible time with this. I feel for him.

Last edited:

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
At least now, from what I'd imagine, his awful suffering has ended. There'll never be another one like him ever again, either. RIP.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
He was able to live for two years with “multiple organ failures” - how does one do that? Where they they unimportant organs? Seems impressive…I guess he knew he didn’t have a ton of time when we hung the banner.
I waited on this reply, but perhaps not long enough and in poor taste... but medically that sounds like (composer J. S.) Bach issues.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

Vanek, who subsequently played for seven other clubs: You just get spoiled. I’m still a Sabres fan, and when I retired I tended to watch the Sabres games. Even when the games sucked, he made it worthwhile to watch. His voice and energy were so unique.

We were spoiled.

Pinter: You know how he was legendary for wearing turtlenecks? That started because Rick started in radio and didn’t like to wear a tie, but he would wear a suit and tie when he went to TV. But as soon as he was done with the pregame open, he would undo his tie. When we put him on camera during the intermissions, his tie was hanging there.

Quinn: When Tom Golisano bought the team (in April 2003), he saw Rick on the air with his tie pulled down. Tom didn’t like it.

Pinter: So Quinn came to me and said, “Tell Jeanneret to tighten his tie before he’s on camera.” I passed along the directive and he said, “OK, I’ll take care if it.” The next game he shows up with a mock turtleneck. That was that.

Moss: When I picture Rick, it’s those suspenders.

Knox: We should have a suspender day for him. My dad used to wear suspenders for special occasions like a black-tie dinner, but every game you’d see Rick in his suspenders.

Pinter: His wife, Sandra, would buy him some cool suspenders, but then people would just send them in. He’d go on the air and say, “Bill from Cheektowaga sent these in for me to wear!”

:laugh:

Burgmania

Buffalo's Hockey Soundtrack
Apr 16, 2007
Buffalo, NY
A KeyBank Center filled to its hockey capacity of 19,070 on Sunday would be a massive gesture from Sabre faithful. #PackTheBankForRJ

UPDATE: The Sabres will air a marathon of several classic RJ games beginning August 25, and running through September 8 on MSG WNY.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad