Cut/Released: Richard Sherman (signs with 49ers)

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yup. Assuming his body doesn't completely deteriorate, he's gonna be a guy that plays into his late 30s and be effective. He's smart enough to know his limitations and adjust accordingly.

I don't see him playing into his late 30's. His position does rely on physical ability. Charles Woodson lasted as long as he did because he was a great athlete as well. Revis got in 10 full seasons before signing late with KC. I think Sherman has a couple of good years left in him, but no chance he's playing at 35 even at Safety. He doesn't possess Earl Thomas' range. As time goes on, I could see him covering TE on passing situations rather than remain outside against WR. But, he's not going to be covering slot WR.

As for Sherman's contract, it's a $5 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary and there are bonuses for being on the 46 man roster, % of snaps, and $3 million for a pro bowl selection. There are some really great CB in the NFC with Rhodes, Norman, Lattimore, Peters, Talib, Peterson. At a minimum, he'll earn $7 million for this year, but he'll get the 46 man roster bonus of $2 million. Depending on what the playing time bonus is, he'll likely get that too for another $1 million. So, he stands to make $10 million this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good pickup for the 49ers. Knowing Sherman, he's going to play with a chip on his shoulder next yr. This move might get them to the playoffs next year.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
The NFC is just so much better than the AFC. The Seahawks are in a decline, but the Niners and Rams should be really good.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't see him playing into his late 30's. His position does rely on physical ability. Charles Woodson lasted as long as he did because he was a great athlete as well. Revis got in 10 full seasons before signing late with KC. I think Sherman has a couple of good years left in him, but no chance he's playing at 35 even at Safety. He doesn't possess Earl Thomas' range. As time goes on, I could see him covering TE on passing situations rather than remain outside against WR. But, he's not going to be covering slot WR.

As for Sherman's contract, it's a $5 million signing bonus, $2 million base salary and there are bonuses for being on the 46 man roster, % of snaps, and $3 million for a pro bowl selection. There are some really great CB in the NFC with Rhodes, Norman, Lattimore, Peters, Talib, Peterson. At a minimum, he'll earn $7 million for this year, but he'll get the 46 man roster bonus of $2 million. Depending on what the playing time bonus is, he'll likely get that too for another $1 million. So, he stands to make $10 million this year.

You know Sherman is a great athlete right? Even compared to his fellow corners. His Sparq was 125. Which is really good.

Reactions: What the Faulk

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Not quite sold on the Niners as a playoff team yet. They still need to fill some holes on defense and could use a little more firepower on offense even with a healthy Carlos Hyde/full season of Jimmy G.

It's also, really really early to declare playoff favorites. For all we know the Rams might totally crater out after their breakout and Russell Wilson could find a way to drag the inept Seahawks, kicking and screaming into the playoffs like he almost did last season.

No doubting the Niners will obviously be better than they have been, but still.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Russell Okung was his own agent one year in free agency and it failed miserably. Good dealing by Sherman. He's definitely one of the smarter players around.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Russell Okung was his own agent one year in free agency and it failed miserably. Good dealing by Sherman. He's definitely one of the smarter players around.

There was no chance year 3 would be guaranteed right away. Surprised a touch that it is a $5 million signing bonus given the 49ers have so much cap space. Figured that they would have flipped the signing bonus and base salary, but it's not a huge difference.

There are several really talented CB in the NFC, so a ProBowl selection is going to be hard to obtain, especially now that Peters and Talib are in the NFC.

If he has a good season, the 49ers will bring him back in 2019. They will simply have the flexibility to cut him if he isn't the player they expect him to be. It costs them $3.33 million in cap space if they have to cut him in 2019.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Not quite sold on the Niners as a playoff team yet. They still need to fill some holes on defense and could use a little more firepower on offense even with a healthy Carlos Hyde/full season of Jimmy G.

It's also, really really early to declare playoff favorites. For all we know the Rams might totally crater out after their breakout and Russell Wilson could find a way to drag the inept Seahawks, kicking and screaming into the playoffs like he almost did last season.

No doubting the Niners will obviously be better than they have been, but still.

They need a pure edge rusher and a SAM. I think they'll inquire about wide receivers but I think they like Garcon, Goodwin and Taylor. Shanahan doesn't do WR1 2 or 3. He defines roles. Speed (Goodwin) tough guy (Garcon) and slot (Trent Taylor). I could see them go after Trey Burton. He likes flex tight ends. Kittle fits that description. Garrett Celek is more of a traditional inline TE.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I hate that he's still in the division, but I can't wait to see the reactions of the Hawks fans to him as a rival now.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Any fanbase will have some jersey-burners when a guys moves on.
Stupid behavior, IMO and really ungrateful.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Sherman stuck me more as a guy who relies on his brain rather than his athletic ability to make plays. Guy always seemed to have a high football IQ the times I've seen him show stuff on flim. Probably why the Achilles injury, as bad as it is likely isn't a huge concern for the Niners (not to mention the advances in medical tech reduce most career threatening injuries to annoyances)

I honestly don't think he'll be the brick wall of a defender he was in Seattle given he had the legion of boom to back him up, but he should still be a solid #1 corner.

I think that's a very good impression. So many players who more or less seem to have the brain of a donkey and fall apart once their bodies give away. There's not many football players who sound as intelligent and articulate as Sherman does (not many have a Masters degree either).

RedRenegade

Sep 16, 2008
Joe Thomas had some comments on Twitter today basically saying this is a team friendly deal and Sherman probably could've done better with an agent rather than representing himself.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Except Sherman called other teams and they weren't willing to give him what the 49ers did. Joe Thomas should fire his agent for not getting paid what he's worth. Let's be real..all the media hand wringing about Sherman acting as his own agent is because they rely on agents as sources.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sherman did his due diligence. He took as much as he could get and tried to leverage it into more money but no one bit. I don't think he was too serious about Detroit, but he may have taken a deal with Sea or Oak if they matched or exceeded. Though I bet Sf would have matched anything they would have offered.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Seems like only yesterday San Francisco were arguing with Seattle over how many classless Subbans Richard Sherman deserved.

Extremely risky but San Francisco has cash to burn and, considering his situation, it's wise of him to take the largest offer. No matter who it is.

Plus he'll be motivated playing Seattle twice a year. Especially once the Seahawks sign Michael Crabtree.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Plus he'll be motivated playing Seattle twice a year. Especially once the Seahawks sign Michael Crabtree.

LOL.

Seattle was given and chance to match SF's offer and turned him down, likely not trusting the achilles. So now he tweeting about "vengeance". Man's fallen to the dark side.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
It's like the Habs just signed Brad Marchand, and I'm the Leafs fan that just gets to sit back and laugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad