Cut/Released: Richard Sherman (signs with 49ers)

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
end of an era in seattle

any legion of boom guys still left there aside from chancellor?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
:(

And one more for emphasis.:(
But now up to 31M cap space and climbing, with a lot more coming off next year.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
He should take a one year deal with the Patriots like Revis did and reestablish his value and have a chance to win another ring.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Sherman has a Super Bowl ring, made $48 million and is a 4 time pro bowler.

Completely up to him what he wants to do.

I think he wants to win, be well compensated, and play well. He has seen former lob members fail in new teams. Maxwell looked terrible in philly. Thurmond has to move to safety to get his game back. Browner not good in New Orleans

Given the number of former Seahawks defensive coaches in the league I would look to teams like Atlanta with Quinn, chargers with Bradley, jags who use Bradley’s system, 49ers, raiders who have also adopt d the Seahawks scheme.

Sherman has an ego, and you can’t trash talk if you can’t back up your words. Football is about scheme. Sherman is smart enough to know his weaknesses. I doubt he signs with a team that would leave him exposed.

Reactions: tacogeoff

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You know the Raiders have a brand new staff right?
Ok, knew they changed some guys after norton. But you get the idea. He’s always played in a cover 3 system.

Maxwell got exposed in Philly. Can’t imagine Sherman risking his ego in a system that doesn’t fit him.

Again, comes down to what he values in his new team.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
SEAHAWKS released Richard Sherman then RYAN PACE would be a confirmed ignoramus if he fails to try to sign him to the bears in free agency!

With the Seahaws reportedly releasing a future HoF DB in Richard Sherman literally in the last few hours the Bears should be the primary suitors for his services if RYAN PACE is not the ignoramus he has historically been proving himself to be guilty of being in free agency, evidenced in his tenure's series of ignoramus-type moves with free agents. I will never understand how this isn't a perfect no-brainer fit for an ideal Bears free-agency move because instead of creating a hole in free agency and trying to fill it in the draft, we would literally be filling a hole and then be able to draft someone for a different hole altogether, reducing the total holes rather than having a zero-some hole game or even worse, more holes after free agency than before it, but who am I but a semi-professional sports entertainment blogger? I just am of the mind that thinks that the Bears should try to shorten up the rebuilding process by including free-agency as a means of filling out a roster of players to field on game-day rather than someone who has literally gone "****s deep" on this RYAN PACE philososphy that if given at a minimum 5-10 years, you should be able to field a winning team that is entirely original draft selections of the team that originally drafted them!

Thanks.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

That rules out the Bears.

The Panthers have about $13.5m of space after considering draft picks, so they could do this if they wanted to (and a bunch of defensive players are lobbying him on social media), but I still don't see it happening, and Bill Voth (team website dude who is about as in as it gets with the team) seems to be very sarcastic regarding it.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Ok, knew they changed some guys after norton. But you get the idea. He’s always played in a cover 3 system.

Maxwell got exposed in Philly. Can’t imagine Sherman risking his ego in a system that doesn’t fit him.

Again, comes down to what he values in his new team.

Maxwell got exposed because he's not very good. Sherman is very good. Big difference there.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I'm sure S.F. will kick the tires but I think Sherman will sign after Trumaine (who is going to S.F. or Oak).

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Maxwell got exposed because he's not very good. Sherman is very good. Big difference there.
Sherman isn’t very fast. Best matchup for him is against bigger WR. He’s long, great at playing the ball when it is in the air. And he tackles well.

He’s only played in the hawks system. Can he play as well in another scheme. He’s done some traveling with a WR over the past couple of years but is best on his side.

I will think he’ll out a lot of stock in how he fits the system.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Sherman isn’t very fast. Best matchup for him is against bigger WR. He’s long, great at playing the ball when it is in the air. And he tackles well.

He’s only played in the hawks system. Can he play as well in another scheme. He’s done some traveling with a WR over the past couple of years but is best on his side.

I will think he’ll out a lot of stock in how he fits the system.

No kidding. Why wouldn't he? And I know Sherman isn't fast but he plays fast.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
He'll sign with the Rams and they'll have a 5 cb system to try and combat Jimmy G.
I was thinking the Rams were a better fit too, but if he's getting offers of $7M, I doubt he ends up there. I think he will definitely stay out west. 49ers isn't a bad spot, either.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

It certainly seems like he's got a preference. It'll be interesting to see if some Seattle fans turn on him for potentially signing with a rival.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They should be happy he was one of their 3 or 4 most important players who helped them reach back to back Super Bowls, including the demolition of Denver.

I didn't like when Favre signed with the Vikes, but after the team forced him out he had to give them a big F U.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

It certainly seems like he's got a preference. It'll be interesting to see if some Seattle fans turn on him for potentially signing with a rival.

The majority of free agents end up going to division rivals. They are the ones who have seen the player play the most.

Right off the bat, when he got released, my thoughts were that at his age, he wouldn't want too much change in the system he excelled at in Seattle. He didn't travel that much up until the last 2 seasons in Seattle. I think he would want any team he goes to, to have a CB on the opposite side who can play. Not sure if he should be traveling with a WR.

Plus, he grew up in Compton, went to Stanford, and played for Seattle. West coast all his life.

Jax, Atl, LAC, SF run the cover 3 system since the DC running the team came out of Seattle.

SF is a good spot for him, as they have a major need at CB. Jimmy G at QB.
LAC, need is not as great, although they could slide King into the slot since Verrett has had injury issues. Rivers at QB.
Oakland also has a need at CB. Have Conley at CB (1st round 2017), Joseph at FS (1st round 2016), and Melifonwu at SS (3rd round 2017). Young group. Conley injured for most of last season. Joseph, a good player. Melifonwu, this guy is built like Chancellor, but his play was subpar last year when he got into the lineup. New DC is Guenther who was the DC with the Bengals for the past few years. Is that system a fit for Sherman? Carr at QB.

That's Cali. Doubt the Rams are going to make anymore moves at CB.

Money is going to be a factor. He won't be getting $10 million, but I think Sherman has an ego and pride and won't be playing for $2 million for example. I think he's eyeing $5 million to $7 million in a 2-3 year deal. Then it would come down to guaranteed money. Most teams likely only to guarantee year 1, with maybe a roster bonus for year 2.

For all of the other teams that have contacted him, be interesting if he goes to one of those non-Cali and non-former Seahawks coaching staff ones.

Reactions: Voight

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I figured he'd end up in San Fran.

Money aside, Sherman is a guy that would def hold a grudge over how Seattle let him go despite it being a pretty sound business decision. Best way to stick it to them would be to play for a direct rival. No better one than the Niners since the Rams are stocked at CB and the Cardinals suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad