Cut/Released: Richard Sherman (signs with 49ers)

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
They should be happy he was one of their 3 or 4 most important players who helped them reach back to back Super Bowls, including the demolition of Denver.

I didn't like when Favre signed with the Vikes, but after the team forced him out he had to give them a big F U.
Yeah, I never understand fans getting mad about where a player goes. The Seahawks cut him. He’s going to be getting paid a lot less wherever he signs. They cost him a lot of money and kicked him to the curb.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Yeah, I never understand fans getting mad about where a player goes. The Seahawks cut him. He’s going to be getting paid a lot less wherever he signs. They cost him a lot of money and kicked him to the curb.
Because a lot of fans get emotionally invested in players and their teams an look at it a lot less practically.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Because a lot of fans get emotionally invested in players and their teams an look at it a lot less practically.
These same fans have no issues with their club franchising a guy but would be upset if a free agent wins with a division rival.

RB have a short shelf life so a guy like Bell who gets franchised twice will never see a long term deal next season. Not with his workload.

For an nfl player 1 year is equal to 4-5 of our working years. So Sherman after 7 years is equal to a 50 year old working a regular job. At that age, making 6 figures then your company tells you that they will lay you off unless you take a 40% cut.

You can go work for another company for that 40% cut or stay with your same company. Ego wise, really hard to go back to the company that is asking to cut your salary.

So while Seattle says the door is still open I don’t see Sherman returning.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Hopefully Sherman is fully recovered from the injury. It'll be interesting to see the breakdown of the contract with him going without an agent.

The NFC West is going to be fun.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Have to wait for the details but at the very least he should get the $11M he was scheduled to make with the Seahawks next season.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
hahahahahaha this is great. hawks fans are getting ready to burn their sherman jerseys as we speak

Reactions: Voight

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Eh I pretty much feel how Voight was saying, tons of appreciation for what he did here. Would rather he'd have gone outside the division obviously.

But he's a niner now, so naturally I hope he declines hard while costing them tons of money.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He probably wanted to remain on the west coast. HS, college, pro all on the coast. So, SF/LAR/LAC/Oak were on his list. SF/LAC run the same system.

I don't think SF is a Superbowl favorite this season. Could make the playoffs, but that is tough given how stacked the NFC South is, and GB has Rodgers. Dallas should rebound without all those distractions with Zeke. So, hard to see them getting a WC birth.

Think the 2019 season is a more realistic shot for them to make the playoffs.

The breakdown of the contract will be interesting. SF has a tonne of cap space so, likely will be front loaded contract. No way year 3 is guaranteed. Would like to see how much is guaranteed in year 2.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
DX-HxHgVAAAh_lg.jpg

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Sherman stuck me more as a guy who relies on his brain rather than his athletic ability to make plays. Guy always seemed to have a high football IQ the times I've seen him show stuff on flim. Probably why the Achilles injury, as bad as it is likely isn't a huge concern for the Niners (not to mention the advances in medical tech reduce most career threatening injuries to annoyances)

I honestly don't think he'll be the brick wall of a defender he was in Seattle given he had the legion of boom to back him up, but he should still be a solid #1 corner.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Sherman stuck me more as a guy who relies on his brain rather than his athletic ability to make plays. Guy always seemed to have a high football IQ the times I've seen him show stuff on flim. Probably why the Achilles injury, as bad as it is likely isn't a huge concern for the Niners (not to mention the advances in medical tech reduce most career threatening injuries to annoyances)

I honestly don't think he'll be the brick wall of a defender he was in Seattle given he had the legion of boom to back him up, but he should still be a solid #1 corner.

Yup. Assuming his body doesn't completely deteriorate, he's gonna be a guy that plays into his late 30s and be effective. He's smart enough to know his limitations and adjust accordingly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad