Prospect Info: Rhett Pitlick (2019, #131)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'm interested to see him as I liked what I saw from his USHS games and next year I'll get to see a lot of him at Minnesota but I plan on getting around to seeing at least one or two USHL games as I try to see every prospect play 2 games before I do my rankings. I have Pitlick and then Dichow as the last I need to see after I catch up with Struble since he was out the first 2 games I saw Harris and I still have to see the Sags.

Reactions: dralaf and Gains

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I'm interested to see him as I liked what I saw from his USHS games and next year I'll get to see a lot of him at Minnesota but I plan on getting around to seeing at least one or two USHL games as I try to see every prospect play 2 games before I do my rankings. I have Pitlick and then Dichow as the last I need to see after I catch up with Struble since he was out the first 2 games I saw Harris and I still have to see the Sags.

Yea, watching them brings a lot more perspective in how they're doing than just stat watching. Pitlick's numbers don't impress. But if I watch him play, I may understand that he does a lot more to contribute.

This is what I see when I watch Olofsson. When you look at his numbers, you're disappointed. But when I watch him play, I like what I see. The same can be said of Pitlick.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Very much interested in the Struble report when you get a chance to check him out. Pitlick as well!

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
The production isn't there yet but I'm still real optimistic about this kid. His skating is damn near elite and he can handle the puck at that speed pretty good at this point. I'm willing to be patient.
Its ten games and he's below his last season PPG so its probably gonna go up, but he has to produce. Its the USHL and he's damn near faster than everyone in there, theres no reasons for him not to go PPG

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Acceleration, agility and balance are top notch. He gets around everywhere. That said, Pitlick gotta work out his body to be dominant.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Rhett Pitlick traded from Omaha to Muskegon.

He went from the 7th place team in the Western Conference to the 7th place team in the Eastern Conference.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Why isn't he producing?

His team was bad. He was tied 3rd in scoring. 1st one was a 3rd rounder from the same year and 2nd one was a guy 1 year older.

He might have better linemates now if he can get on to the 1st line.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
His team was bad. He was tied 3rd in scoring. 1st one was a 3rd rounder from the same year and 2nd one was a guy 1 year older.

He might have better linemates now if he can get on to the 1st line.

I liked him at development camp. But if he's a top 9 NHLer, isn't he supposed to dominate this junior league?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I liked him at development camp. But if he's a top 9 NHLer, isn't he supposed to dominate this junior league?

He's only played a total of 24 games in the USHL so far, dating back to last year. In all of those 24 games, he has 16 pts (5G, 11A). I think that is fair production.

Let's not forget, he's a 5th Round Pick, so we can't assume he will be a Top-9 NHL player yet. They drafted him only a few months ago. And, for me, he doesn't need to dominate. I would welcome that, make no mistake. But I just want him to contribute to his team's success. Whether with production or just playing good hockey.

He definitely was a standout at the development camp. And his skating and hustle are tools that are essential to the way the game is played today.

But he still needs to marinate. He will be in the NCAA next year (University of Minnesota).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's only played a total of 24 games in the USHL so far, dating back to last year. In all of those 24 games, he has 16 pts (5G, 11A). I think that is fair production.

Let's not forget, he's a 5th Round Pick, so we can't assume he will be a Top-9 NHL player yet. They drafted him only a few months ago. And, for me, he doesn't need to dominate. I would welcome that, make no mistake. But I just want him to contribute to his team's success. Whether with production or just playing good hockey.

He definitely was a standout at the development camp. And his skating and hustle are tools that are essential to the way the game is played today.

But he still needs to marinate. He will be in the NCAA next year (University of Minnesota).

for me, for a small forward, it's top 9 or bust.

hope this level of production, in a post draft year, in this league, doesn't mean it's highly unlikely he'll be top 9.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Muskegon won 8-4 against Cedar Rapids. Rhett Pitlick with 2 assists. He has 10 pts in his last 9 GP. He is now at 20 pts (6G, 14A) in 25 GP.
It's a very nice turnaround to his season, I'm just worried about his goal scoring. 6 goals at this level is not very promising. For comparison sake, Didier (who had close to zero puck skills) had 8 goals in 51 GP as a defenseman. Tinordi had 4 goals in 26 GP. Cichy had 16 goals as an 18-year-old in 59 GP. Different times of course, but hopefully it's more of a role thing than limited shooting skills.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's a very nice turnaround to his season, I'm just worried about his goal scoring. 6 goals at this level is not very promising. For comparison sake, Didier (who had close to zero puck skills) had 8 goals in 51 GP as a defenseman. Tinordi had 4 goals in 26 GP. Cichy had 16 goals as an 18-year-old in 59 GP. Different times of course, but hopefully it's more of a role thing than limited shooting skills.

here's how some of our USHL prospects have done at 18,

Mike Cichy - F - 56-34-42-76
Max Pacioretty - LW - 60-21-42-63
Danny Kristo - RW - 50-22-36-58
Andrew Conboy - LW - 58-17-21-38
Mac Bennett - D - 53-9-14-23
Casey Staum - D - 55-0-16-16
Scott Kishel D - 57-3-11-14
Nikolas Koberstein - D - 61-4-8-12

(Didier was 17 as he was drafted out of the USHL, same as Leblanc, Quailer, Cichy was 17 when he put up 16g in 59 games)

here's how Pitlick's season is going,

Omaha - 17-4-7-11
Muskegon - 8-2-7-9

He has 33 games left with Muskegon, so he's on pace for 57 pts this year.

Here's how the USHL kids did in the NCAA at 19,

Mike Cichy - F - 23-2-2-4
Max Pacioretty - LW - 37-15-24-39
Danny Kristo - RW - 41-15-21-36
Andrew Conboy - LW - 21-3-2-5
Mac Bennett - D - 32-2-10-12
Scott Kishel - 12-0-2-2
Nikolas Koberstein - D - 23-1-1-2

Pittlick is going to Minnesota next year, they are having another bad year so far, just slightly better then Caufield's team in the Big 10. So it will be very interesting to see what kind of season he can have there. With his speed and skills he should project to be at least a bottom line winger that can help your PK. I could see him being something like Byron, maybe less goals but more assists perhaps. I have only seen him once and he was very impressive but his team had trouble scoring goals, his new team while lower in the standings has scored more goals.

Last edited:

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
so how is Pitlick's numbers for a D+1 in the USHL? I don't know enough about that league but I imagine he'd have to put up pretty big numbers there in order for us to be excited about him right? Is he falling short of that?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
so how is Pitlick's numbers for a D+1 in the USHL? I don't know enough about that league but I imagine he'd have to put up pretty big numbers there in order for us to be excited about him right? Is he falling short of that?

24 pts (9G, 15A) in 28 GP.

He's now on a 4-game point streak with 7 points in those 4 games.

He has 21 pts in his last 21 GP.

Reactions: jaffy27

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
24 pts (9G, 15A) in 28 GP.

He's now on a 4-game point streak with 7 points in those 4 games.

He has 21 pts in his last 21 GP.

yeah sorry I wasn't clearer. I meant more so what do his numbers mean vis a vis his age and playing in the USHL? I don't know of many who played USHL after being drafted (mostly out of lack of expertise I'm sure). So I just wondered if his production is worth being excited about. Any prior cases of worthy NHLers who've done similar to Pitlick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad