Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Menzinger/kb

Not sure how us on LTIR means other teams will have space. So for each day Marner misses, his cap hit for this real inflates. Doesn’t that mean his contract would be huge and no team would be able to fit him in

Others have basically filled in why in other replies but as long as any other teams are using actual cap space as opposed to LTIR they'd have more flexibility to fit him on their twam.afyer the season starts

Now few teams have that level of cap space now, meaning the Leafs in any hypothetical trade would be taking salary of some sort back

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
At this point I wonder if Marner and his people have sat down and looked at all the costs involved with a continued hold out.

They're probably within $1 million per year and a year of term from an agreement. At the end of the day, Marner has already won based on what I've heard that the Leafs have offered him. By continuing to hold out, his once stellar public image continues to take a beating. The possibility of reduced endorsement earnings is a real possibility. That possible amount of reduced off ice earnings may exceed what he'd gain from a complete win in the Leafs contract negotiations.

I was a Marner fan. Think he's a great kid. My gut tells me that daddy and Ferris are pushing the envelope on this and not him. But he's the one whose image is going to take the long term hit. He was idolized by many in Toronto and around the league prior to this contract impasse. He won't be held in as high esteem by as many no matter when the situation is resolved now.

It's really a shame when the egos of people get so out of control that they feel slighted because another player might be making a few more bucks even though he might be as good as that player. A 21 year old being offered over $100 million Cdn and who feels put upon probably has lost all perspective about how fortunate he is.

I hope Marner and his camp pull their heads out of their derrieres before the PR damage has a long term impact.

Last edited:

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I can see the Leafs end up with:

2 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
<10.5mm * 3 years
Columbus is a good team (with marner), those 1st. round picks aren't going to be good.

Ceci and a 1st. for cap space?
No, they are not.

They lost Panarin, Duchesne, and one of the best goalies in the league. I'd much rather have Mitch instead of two firsts and the rest of that but four firsts from Columbus and I'm fully on board

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
No, they are not.

They lost Panarin, Duchesne, and one of the best goalies in the league. I'd much rather have Mitch instead of two firsts and the rest of that but four firsts from Columbus and I'm fully on board

I would think marner for hischier plus?
Let jersey have both Ferris clients

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Trade this cancer before it's too late.

Who am I kidding it's already too late to get $0.80 on the dollar.

Since it’s fun to watch the world burn.

What would be a fair deal?

Hischier and picks?

I thought of provorov and konecny.

Dumba plus but they don’t have prospects.....

Marner for Boeser and Hughes?

I wonder

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

Hischier and picks?

I wonder
Why would you trade those pieces for a guy who refused 7x11

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa

Hischier and picks?

I wonder

Fair deal? It's a nice thought. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

At this point with what he's asking for in AAV and term we'd be lucky to get Josh Manson, Nick Ritchie and a lottery protected first rounder.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Fair deal? It's a nice thought. Let's all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

At this point with what he's asking for in AAV and term we'd be lucky to get Josh Manson, Nick Ritchie and a lottery protected first rounder.

Why do we assume the Leafs would be the most desperate party out of 30 other teams that could use Marner, not to mention Marner himself, who may be losing $10 million plus in unrecoverable earnings by burning a year for no reason other than ego?

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I wonder if Marner would take 11 million if it was 6 years? (Which is a MASSIVE overpay but lets just get this done at this point). Like that is only a minor step down from the Matthews contract. If he doesn't accept that then this is just a circus and frankly they should just end the negotiations until he comes back down to earth.
What was the point in waiting if you're just going to give in and give him what he wants? Theres 2 sides to this and the Marner camp is coming off like the unreasonable one.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Why do we assume the Leafs would be the most desperate party out of 30 other teams that could use Marner, not to mention Marner himself, who may be losing $10 million plus in unrecoverable earnings by burning a year for no reason other than ego?

I don't understand what you mean? I'm talking about cutting bait with an entitled, me-first player who doesn't want to be a Leaf for an overpay. We are the Leafs. f*** this guy.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto

Hischier and picks?

I wonder
Huh? Boldly and Kaprizov would both immediately be in the discussion as our best prospect.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm not willing to trade Marner right now for a package like that. But, to claim the Wild don't have prospects is simply inaccurate. Boldy and Kaprizov are both held in high regard around the league.

Sure. I meant prospects that would be marner return level.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sure. I meant prospects that would be marner return level.
But, you are adding them to a package for Dumba. To be honest, to expect much more than that for an unsigned RFA is being extremely optimistic. Especially since Marner needs to play ball on any trade to increase his value, as no team will give up much significant assets without him agreeing to terms ahead of time.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
let me get this right

they are offering Mitch about the same money that Tavares is making

Tavares is a proven veteran, but Mitch is barely off rookie status

...and Marner won't take that deal?

GET RID OF THIS GUY ASAP

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

Enjoyed this.

One point really stood out. McDavid signed on July 1 of the year prior to even playing the final year of his ELC. Not mentioned was that he took $2.5 million less per year than he reasonably could have demanded.

Compare this with Marner. Not good optics as they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad