Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
So many people here are getting fooled. Pauls negotiation tactics have worked.

Marner is not worth 10 million. He's prob not even worth 9.5. This long process though and the thought of 11 has made the public able to accept 10.5. 10.5 is f***ing trash and if Dubas gives him that its another failed contract.

And I love Dubas.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I don't think that Sakic is going to overpay his guys like Dubas...he is going to tell them that it's too bad Toronto didn't draft you and maybe in your next life you're gonna get lucky and it happens. That is the part that makes me so mad. If ALL the other teams were paying their RFA's UFA type money...I could live with it. But having to pay extra to players to play in a city that adores them and gives them ample chances to make extra $$ deals for endorsements is flat out lunacy. I can live with the Gardiners of the league not getting over paid to play in their twilight of their career like everyone used to do....but if we are the only ones doing this crazy stuff...it just sucks.

6x10.7 or what not is not over paying. It was reported a reason why the RFAs this yr were acting like they are is because when Seattle comes in league revenue, and new TV deal will make cap go way up close too 100million so by year the deal looks pretty good

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
It's probably better to overpay for 5 or 6 and trade. Because 2 years will hold way less value even if it is less. Although, I hope the kid is a long-term Leaf, and we can carefully navigate these next few years to finally win a cup.

The catch is going to be if Dubas does the stupid thing of a NMC for the final 2yrs...that kills us and removes the ability to recoup something for him if he doesn't play lights out and make his contract look like a bargain. If he gets a NMC....then we can't at least threaten to trade him in his last year or 2 if it looks like they are going to ask for the moon again.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Toronto prices are insane though compared to most markets (NYC, Boston SF are really the comparable American markets). Especially if you want to live in a stand-alone house in pre-amalgamation Toronto (which for most Leafs means Rosedale, Forest Hill or Lawrence Park). There is a massive gap between Toronto and Van to almost all other Canadian markets.

My other point was mainly about just taxes on financial investment to grow your money.

There are countless reasons to love Toronto as a place to live, but, if you are a professional athlete with mobility. Taxes, housing prices, etc are none of them.

I have been agreeing with you just in case that's not clear. Just adding a little detail here and there. I have lived in multiple countries (including Canada & U.S., etc.), & owned property & businesses in multiple countries. Through necessity I've had to learn.

Reactions: 93LEAFS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad