Confirmed with Link: [RFA] Drake Caggiula reups for 2 Years ($1.5M per)

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah both Pirri and Marchessault were bottom 6 guys being played in a bottom 6 role putting up more points than Caggiula was when Caggiula had playing time with our 2 best centers and a decent amount of pp time. Caggiula in his bottom 6 time was putting up worse numbers than those guys did.

You put those guys at the time with McDavid they would of done better.

Doesnt negate the fact that even cap % wise, we overpaid compared to what comparable young players are normally signed for.

In your opinion. Cherry picking a couple of contracts that were signed years ago.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
You ignore that Ryan and Athenisou are better players than the Drake, production wise and intangles. So lets look at their Cap% numbers, Ryan would be at 1.867% of Cap when he signed, Athenisou would be at 1.849%. NHL salary cap is projected to rise to 78-82M for the coming season, lets take 80M as the middle ground, this puts him at 1.875% of the Cap. So Caggiulla's Cap% is still higher than those players while providing about 9 less points and in the case of Ryan a lot less overall utility.

I don't agree with overpaying a player based on age when talking about low potential, low upside 4th liners especially when you are signing them on short term deals. You pay for what you get, and if it doesn't work out with a 4th liner you just swap in another one at around the same salary.
again, I hope so
they're a lot older with more experience

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
In your opinion. Cherry picking a couple of contracts that were signed years ago.
Anthony Duclair.
15 points in 58 games (on a at the time worst team in the league) and then put up 44 in 81 the year before signed a contract worth 1.6% of the cap, 1.2 mill. For Cags that would be 1.28 mill a year and he isn't as good as Duclair is.

I could keep going.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Pac again was the best shutdown winger this club had. Its best pk winger. He was knocking it out of the ballpark in that regard. In addition he was tough as nails to play against which perfectly befits WC conference bottomsix play. I doubt too there couldn't be upside. Guy has a hard shot, needed to get some confidence taking offensive chances but was a good depth player that always sports a very low GA either EV or pk. He also won a lot of pucks through his tenacity. Vegas have Carrier. A similar player to Pac who does not produce but is a consistently hard player to play against that pressures opponents effectively and limits ice. I have all day for those kinds of players in bottomsix or bottomline. These are honest hard nosed players that never hurt you.

Slepy has more talent, has exhibited the ability to win one on one battles and to find openings on the fly. On the rush Slepy is far more adept than Cagg just that he rarely had topsix or PP looks on this team. Additionally Slepy is hard to control, strong on the puck and punishing along the boards. A type of winger suited to Draisaitl that the coaching staff rarely played with Drai this season.

Instead it seems this org just decides in advance who it will keep and retain and on some basis other than whole evaluation of the players.

People get enticed with a one dimensional player like Cagg because he scores some goals with choice minutes. He costs the team more goals.

Cagguila is tough as nails as well. Not as good on the PK as Pakarinen but more offensive upside to be sure, has an uncanny ability to find soft spots in front of the net which isn't a skill that should go unnoticed. I would have been fine keeping Pak as an extra forward but I would never choose him over Cagguila if I had the choice.

My problem with Slepy is that he's the typical tools but lacks toolbox player and too inconsistent with effort. He's just one of those players you wonder why he can't put it together for more than a few game stretch. I think they should have given him a longer look in the top 6 in garbage time but Slepy never really pushed to earn it either.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Slepy is a zero dimensional player, what complete game has he ever shown?
Pak was fine as a 13th forward but there was absolutely no upside with this player.

Slpeyshev is solid defensively, hes solid in board battles, hes a great skater with a great shot. Literally his only limitation is vision with the puck in the offensive zone. Thats what will hold him back from being a top 6 player

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Why are people complaining so much about a guy getting paid maybe 200k too much or something? I'm one of the biggest anti-Chia posters here and I'm okay with this deal. Caggiula may not be the ideal player, but some of you guys are making him out to be some coke machine defensive liability with no hockey IQ, when in reality he's a speedy bottom 6 player who has untapped skill for a bottom 6 forward, who is average defensively at worst, and makes up for his deficiencies with his hustling, grittiness, and willingness to pay the price to make a play or get back to stop an odd man rush. Plus he and JJ Khaira were the only players in the bottom 6 who looked like they gave a **** every shift, unlike the likes of Milan Lucic, Ryan Strome, Mike Cammalleri, Zack Kassian etc. If there's anything to complain about cap wise, it's the fact that we're paying Milan at least 2 million more than he should be earning.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Why are people complaining so much about a guy getting paid maybe 200k too much or something? I'm one of the biggest anti-Chia posters here and I'm okay with this deal. Caggiula may not be the ideal player, but some of you guys are making him out to be some coke machine defensive liability with no hockey IQ, when in reality he's a speedy bottom 6 player who has untapped skill for a bottom 6 forward, who is average defensively at worst, and makes up for his deficiencies with his hustling, grittiness, and willingness to pay the price to make a play or get back to stop an odd man rush. Plus he and JJ Khaira were the only players in the bottom 6 who looked like they gave a **** every shift, unlike the likes of Milan Lucic, Ryan Strome, Mike Cammalleri, Zack Kassian etc. If there's anything to complain about cap wise, it's the fact that we're paying Milan at least 2 million more than he should be earning.

Without the name you mentioned I wouldn't even know what player you were talking about. Cagg is the worst pk player on this team. The weakest EV player on this team. This being a player just as likely to hustle into no man land as he is to be hustling back to break up a play.

People often confuse busy energy players with those that have purpose. Cagg moves around a lot but he doesn't think the game very well. He's one of the more likely players on this team to get caught up ice on poor % plays. Somehow, he also manages to be one of the least effectual odd man rush forwards on this club.

The mere continuance of a player like this in a profile role is a move towards obscurity. Teams that rely on poor players like this are generally poor teams.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

My reply to this got nuked in the cleanup, so here it goes in brief: Cagguila is a bad player who could easily be replaced, the issue isn't the contract but management's inability to squeeze any efficiencies out of the available roster/cap space and small overpays can become an issue when you add them up.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
My reply to this got nuked in the cleanup, so here it goes in brief: Cagguila is a bad player who could easily be replaced, the issue isn't the contract but management's inability to squeeze any efficiencies out of the available roster/cap space and small overpays can become an issue when you add them up.
Cags is a good player that deserves that contract.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Reactions: belair

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Matt Grzelcyk is a defenseman. Not really a comparable in either direction.

Although if you want to compare him to an Oiler who needs a new contract, Matt Benning shouldn't be making more than that.

oh the postion did not realize that ,,sorry but still it was a good deal anyways for Cags.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
But who, it only 2 million for a player who scored 13 goals..Jesus H Christ.

Ryan Jones had seasons with 17 and 18 goals and was out of the league a couple of years after that.

As Ty Rattie showed, an average AHLer can score playing with McDavid, doesn't mean they're good.

If Drake can score 10-15 goals in a bottom 6 role and not get absolutely s**tcanned in the process (more than 60% of the goals scored when he was on the ice last year were by the other team) then we can talk about him being worth the money.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Ryan Jones had seasons with 17 and 18 goals and was out of the league a couple of years after that.

As Ty Rattie showed, an average AHLer can score playing with McDavid, doesn't mean they're good.

If Drake can score 10-15 goals in a bottom 6 role and not get absolutely s**tcanned in the process (more than 60% of the goals scored when he was on the ice last year were by the other team) then we can talk about him being worth the money.

It's an aside, but Ryan Jones was out of the league that quickly because of his severe eye injury, not based off talent reasons.

Reactions: nabob

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Completely agree.
Its like some posters are just laying in the weeds waiting for an opportunity (any opportunity) to unleash all their 2017/18 frustration.
This is so close to meaningless and yet there is so much drama. Speaks for itself IMO.

Just in case any drama queens want to lump me into the Chia apologist category...think again.
I am a critic when it warrants it...this signing simply doesn't qualify.

Reactions: North and nabob

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam

haha always making things up.He is fine player .

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
I don't mind this. If he can get 15+ goals this year, he earned it. Just needs to get over the nightmare that was his puck luck the past season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad