Rumor: RFA D David Rundblad May sign in KHL

John Holmes*

Call me crazy, but I still think he can be a really good offensive defenceman in the NHL.

He will most likely always make stupid decisions, both offensively and defensively. He will always be a risk-taking player. Not all good given the fact that he's....a defenceman.

Well as we all know...

**** happens.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He's behind in development to Wiercicoh and I doubt we could get a second round pick for Wiercioch.

Why some people are willing to give up our first for Rundblad is beyond me.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Hell no, do not want.

I still can't believe how much he's overrated here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He's behind in development to Wiercicoh and I doubt we could get a second round pick for Wiercioch.

He was HF's top prospect for a bit

Most posters don't have a good grasp of managing assets

They reckon that trading the 1st for someone we didn't want is good management because of the perceived value of what we gave up and what we got in return

They fail to see that Rundblad was traded for a reason: we needed a guy like Turris but teams do not trade players they are high on for another prospect (Turris was basically a prospect when we got him)

Using something that could turn into something real good to get back a player we did not want is a terrible idea

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
He was HF's top prospect for a bit

Most posters don't have a good grasp of managing assets

They reckon that trading the 1st for someone we didn't want is good management because of the perceived value of what we gave up and what we got in return

They fail to see that Rundblad was traded for a reason: we needed a guy like Turris but teams do not trade players they are high on for another prospect (Turris was basically a prospect when we got him)

Using something that could turn into something real good to get back a player we did not want is a terrible idea

Exactly. I have no problem with trading for a guy LIKE Rundblad, we do need another right shooting NHL defenseman. It doesn't NEED to be Rundblad though. We need a younger guy who can fill in Gonchar's minutes. The more experience that player has the better. Rundblad is not the best solution for us, someone with some proven NHL time would be better

Who cares how good Rundblad USED to be in the SEL. Cheechoo USED to be amazing, that doesn't mean he's going to solve our winger problem NOW. Nostalgia is getting in the way of common sense.

Right now, Rundblad is a 22 yr old prospect that can't crack the Coyote's roster. That's not a slight. The Coyotes have a really good and deep defense. He has very little NHL time and the NHL time he's had is bad. He's supposed to be an NHL dynamo for offense, but he's still pretty terrible on defense.

For such an offensive Dynamo he's got 2 more points in 5 more games than Eric "no offense" Gryba.. At least Gryba is an amazing defensive player. People are willing to give up a mid-round 1st and our best winger prospect for Rundblad, meanwhile those fans fans wouldn't give up a late rounder for a guy like Gryba.

Why? Their draft position? Their prospect ranking? Their talent? What some scout said 6 years ago? Such complete ********.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002

you dont think we could get a 2nd round pick for Wiercioch?
i certainly wouldnt give him for anything close to that.

you're talking about:
1) a guy who is an actual NHL player (which most 2nd round picks do not turn out to be)
2) a 6'4" puck moving defenceman who finished 2nd in rookie scoring for Dmen and 12th among all skaters at a 40pt pace.

to imagine trading this guy for a 2nd round pick is preposterous.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Exactly. I have no problem with trading for a guy LIKE Rundblad, we do need another right shooting NHL defenseman. It doesn't NEED to be Rundblad though. We need a younger guy who can fill in Gonchar's minutes. The more experience that player has the better. Rundblad is not the best solution for us, someone with some proven NHL time would be better

Who cares how good Rundblad USED to be in the SEL. Cheechoo USED to be amazing, that doesn't mean he's going to solve our winger problem NOW. Nostalgia is getting in the way of common sense.

Right now, Rundblad is a 22 yr old prospect that can't crack the Coyote's roster. That's not a slight. The Coyotes have a really good and deep defense. He has very little NHL time and the NHL time he's had is bad. He's supposed to be an NHL dynamo for offense, but he's still pretty terrible on defense.

For such an offensive Dynamo he's got 2 more points in 5 more games than Eric "no offense" Gryba.. At least Gryba is an amazing defensive player. People are willing to give up a mid-round 1st and our best winger prospect for Rundblad, meanwhile those fans fans wouldn't give up a late rounder for a guy like Gryba.

Why? Their draft position? Their prospect ranking? Their talent? What some scout said 6 years ago? Such complete ********.

Come on. i mean really.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Rundblad and Gryba have completely different ceilings and are in completely different situations. That is always part of it. Stone is, in my opinion, an expendable asset as I just don't think he has the skating to make a big impact at the NHL level. Time will tell I guess.

With that said I wouldn't move our 17th for Rundblad at this point. It's clear that his value has taken something of a hit, but he's developing nicely. For example our 'best winger prospect' as you put it had 1 less point in 4 more games in the AHL this year. He's actually working on his defence (Phoenix is nice for that). Sometimes players are long-term projects and because of his style Rundblad is one of those players.

In terms of wanting or not wanting Rundblad...sometimes you have to give up a player you really like in order to get a good player of a similar caliber or better. We needed Turris and at the time Rundblad was our biggest asset. That doesn't mean this team wouldn't like to have him back.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Prince has all the tools to be a good NHL player (maybe not size-wise but he's far from too small)

Saw him the few times I went to see 67's games and he never failed to impress

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Some of you guys are funny. You think if Rundblad was in the organization we'd have seen Wiercioch last season? I think there's a good chance we would not have. Rundblad was always ahead of Wier and Gryba when he was here, and we did not trade him b/c we thought he wasn't going to be good - we traded b/c we needed Turris more. Give to get. Moving a prospect or pick (however, a first is too high now that Rundblad is older and some of the shine is off b/c we actually know more about the guy than we do the guys in the draft who are overvalued b/c of lack of info) for Rundblad would be a fine move. We do not need to get someone else LIKE Rundblad just b/c we've already had Rundblad. Whatever, I don't agree with that line of thinking at all.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
We found our 3D this year in Methot, IMO. A guy like Rundblad would be nice to have, but he's not essential. We need a stop gap top-4 guy who can cover for and push Ceci for a few years.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
So many guys are playing the KHL card it's getting old. Even Gonchar likely improved his contract because of it but at least he was a UFA and Russian at that. For an RFA especially a non Russian I'd tell him you want to play that game go right ahead you'll come crawling back for less money soon enough.

Caseus

squirrelly wrath
Mar 9, 2004
Ottawa
I don't want anything to do with Rundblad. The Sens would never have given up on him for someone with as many question marks as Turris if they thought he was going to be any good.

Sens Mile

Sep 1, 2008
I don't want anything to do with Rundblad. The Sens would never have given up on him for someone with as many question marks as Turris if they thought he was going to be any good.

The Sens wanted talent, we went for a risk and it worked.

I would love to see Rundblad back with the organization. Someone who still can play in the NHL and would fit well with our organization.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I still think Runt will eventually be a top 2 defenceman in this league.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Rundblad's 39 in 50 AHL season easily makes him one of the highest scoring defenceman in the league.

He was worth a mid-first
Caught fire in Sweden
Spent one year adjusting in NA
Back to lighting it up again.

Easily still worth a first, I'd say, and still way too early to say we won this trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00