Revisiting the Schmidt “Decision”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
We don't know what GMGM asked for, all we know is that one of the asking prices was Wilson+Grubauer.

At this time last year Wilson was a 4th liner who was looking like a potential bust, while Mojo was a bonafide top 6 player. Mojo clearly had more value, what GMGM thought we'll never know but he's not a genius that KNEW Wilson would break out like he did.
This is just false.

Wilson played first line minutes as recently as last year in the playoffs, Wilson was always considered rough around the edges but his upside and ceiling was widely considered to be much higher. MoJo garnered a third round pick, I don't understand how you can argue what his value was when we literally saw that the most a team was willing to pay was a third. He was a soft finesse style top 6 forward, that's a dime a dozen player in this league. True power forwards are a rare entity, consider this, in a expansion draft in which GMGM required multiple teams to ship him top 6 talent or top round draft picks in order to keep their players he listed Tom Wilson as his asking price, the value is clear, Wilson always had higher value than MoJo.

Also GMGM was building a team, if we're looking at how VGK valued MoJo it's probably even less than a third. MoJo is such an awkward piece in the VGK roster, Tom Wilson is clearly something they desired (hence their willingness to go after Reaves.)

Why you're acting like the ascension of Wilson is a shock is beyond me, most people had him pegged as a guy who had this ability, no one seems surprised, most people figured MoJo had reached his full potential, they seem to be right.

Reactions: RandyHolt and g00n

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I would say maybe 10% of us thought Wilson had this kind of potential. Another 10% thought he was the worst thing since New Coke. The remaining 80% probably had him as a JAG who shouldn't have been a first round pick but could carve out a decent career in the bottom 9.

Reactions: um

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I would say maybe 10% of us thought Wilson had this kind of potential. Another 10% thought he was the worst thing since New Coke. The remaining 80% probably had him as a JAG who shouldn't have been a first round pick but could carve out a decent career in the bottom 9.

And 2% of us absolutely loved the guy from the day he was drafted. Unique player

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
This is just false.

Wilson played first line minutes as recently as last year in the playoffs, Wilson was always considered rough around the edges but his upside and ceiling was widely considered to be much higher. MoJo garnered a third round pick, I don't understand how you can argue what his value was when we literally saw that the most a team was willing to pay was a third. He was a soft finesse style top 6 forward, that's a dime a dozen player in this league. True power forwards are a rare entity, consider this, in a expansion draft in which GMGM required multiple teams to ship him top 6 talent or top round draft picks in order to keep their players he listed Tom Wilson as his asking price, the value is clear, Wilson always had higher value than MoJo.

Also GMGM was building a team, if we're looking at how VGK valued MoJo it's probably even less than a third. MoJo is such an awkward piece in the VGK roster, Tom Wilson is clearly something they desired (hence their willingness to go after Reaves.)

Why you're acting like the ascension of Wilson is a shock is beyond me, most people had him pegged as a guy who had this ability, no one seems surprised, most people figured MoJo had reached his full potential, they seem to be right.

This is also revisionist/wrong. MoJo garnered a 2nd and a 3rd, not just a 3rd. GMBM was dealing from a position of significant weakness after signing the Oshie and Kuznetsov deals and needed to dump the salary, which also hurt his return. I'm far from a MoJo fan, but arguing his value was a 3rd (or worse) is disingenious.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
We don't know what GMGM asked for, all we know is that one of the asking prices was Wilson+Grubauer.

At this time last year Wilson was a 4th liner who was looking like a potential bust, while Mojo was a bonafide top 6 player. Mojo clearly had more value, what GMGM thought we'll never know but he's not a genius that KNEW Wilson would break out like he did.

Buuuuuuulllllshit.....the vociferous few gave up on a young player early and talked shit all the time.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Buuuuuuulllll****.....the vociferous few gave up on a young player early and talked **** all the time.

you do know what the work potential means right? Wilson's value was probably at an all time low last year as it looked like he may not become the new Lucic every thought he might be.

They're were post last year debating if Wilson's 2.0 million cap hit was the best use of cap space. How has everyone completely forgotten about Wilson's first 4 years here?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I am in the 2%. Well, I was until about 11pm on Monday.

It was always kind of funny, that most all that post here know big potential power forward types develop very slowly. Yet threw in the towel on Tom (before the age of 21 IIRC). And despite seeing a remarkable improvement in his skating. Maybe the biggest skating improvement of any player I can recall. Willy had been handed the hitting torch from Ovi, in terms of keeping my interest in the otherwise 90 game preseason.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I only review my ranking at the end of the day. Lets re-eval at Midnight.

The problem with Schmidt is that we had not properly developed him, nor properly used him. Only in his final season, was he allowed to join the rush so he could utilize a top attribute, of course his skating. Making passes and racking up a few nice assists certainly showed me he had a lot more to offer than we got to see. Zippy power play time of course so very little offense was developed / displayed in his tenure here. We never let him develop to the point that would have made protecting him a priority.

Last time I saw Schmiddy at practice he was working on head fakes which look hilarious with no one else near him. I believe it was when he was scratched for a playoff game a year ago.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
you do know what the work potential means right? Wilson's value was probably at an all time low last year as it looked like he may not become the new Lucic every thought he might be.

They're were post last year debating if Wilson's 2.0 million cap hit was the best use of cap space. How has everyone completely forgotten about Wilson's first 4 years here?

There were 2 or 3 people who just bashed him all along doing that. That's really it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Not at this time last year that’s for sure if ever. He had developed the defensive aspect of his game and was continuing to improve, albeit slowly in the offensive category. Wasn’t more than a handful or so that was really down on him daily. Some were patient, others weren’t. He established himself as a game changer 2 seasons ago IMO.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
There were 2 or 3 people who just bashed him all along doing that. That's really it.
Not at this time last year that’s for sure if ever. He had developed the defensive aspect of his game and was continuing to improve, albeit slowly in the offensive category. Wasn’t more than a handful or so that was really down on him daily. Some were patient, others weren’t. He established himself as a game changer 2 seasons ago IMO.

Maybe you guys are right and I'm remembering it wrong. Either way Wilson has developed into a much better offensive player this year, and I'm glad we kept him.

I just wish we found a way to ditch Johansson/Burakosvky/Grubby for Schmidt (and thats not hindsight), but oh well.

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
If MacLellan had had a better handle on what he was going to get signed for, and IMO he should have but whatever, and saw he was going to lose Johansson anyway and decided to protect Schmidt and Wilson, it would have been interesting to see who McPhee would have selected between Johansson, Eller, and Burakovsky. I kind of think it would have been Burakovsky, who I’m sure would have potted 50 and we’d be having this discussion about him instead...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If MacLellan had had a better handle on what he was going to get signed for, and IMO he should have but whatever, and saw he was going to lose Johansson anyway and decided to protect Schmidt and Wilson, it would have been interesting to see who McPhee would have selected between Johansson, Eller, and Burakovsky. I kind of think it would have been Burakovsky, who I’m sure would have potted 50 and we’d be having this discussion about him instead...

Yeah it would be revisionist if people said we leave Bura out in expansion. He was our best player vs Pitt and he has insane talent. He will rebound next year

CapsDC

May 2, 2018
What are you guys drinking? I'll start the evening off with a Troegs Perpetual IPA.

This game is huge. I think if the Caps take it the series is ours. We lose I'm not in panic mode but not feeling great. Holtby needs to be nails tonight. I didn't think he was awful last game. He made some great saves but that first goal on the PP should've been stopped. First goal tonight is going to be huge as always.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Would have loved to proctect Wilson and Schmidt but that ship has sailed and here we are knocking on the door. Won’t give a damn about anything if we manage to pull this off...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad