Retro Winnipeg Jets Jerseys?

CanadianCoyote

Oct 11, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I know this will upset Jets fans, but to me, those jerseys belong to the Coyotes franchise.
The league owned the old Jets stuff after the move, and True North owns all of the original Jets' stuff now; they bought it from the league during the move of the Thrashers. At this point, those jerseys belong to Winnipeg, True North and the Jets. That's where the nostalgia for that team is, so it'd be wrong to try and remove it.

The only thing the Coyotes should and do claim from Winnipeg is historical elements that are inextricably tied to the franchise; the season records and honored alumni like Hawerchuk. That stuff is part of this franchise that can't and shouldn't be ignored.

And besides, the Coyotes have been around long enough they have their own history to throw back to. Winnipeg can have all the logos and jerseys, because we sure as f*** weren't using them.

The history can remain with us, and the visuals can be used where they belong; in Winnipeg by a new Jets franchise. That's perfect for everyone.

Last edited:

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
eh let teams use use logos from their markets past even if the team relocated. The Twins let the Washington nationals wear senator throwbacks even though the senators relocated to Minnesota. I don't know a single Twins fan that gave a ripe.

You really are telling me some Yote fan is going to lose slept over Winnipeg wearing the old jet logos? Plus as others pointed out. The franchise owns the old logos now. I hope Minnesota buys back the North Stars logo from the NHL one day.

It’s not even about Coyotes fans. To me this is no different from putting up a Stanley Cup banner from a past franchise with the same name (ie Senators). Just because you chose the same name, doesn’t mean all that history is yours.

Reactions: CaptBrannigan

Nasti

Jan 30, 2006
Long Beach, CA
The league owned the old Jets stuff after the move, and True North owns all of the original Jets' stuff now; they bought it from the league during the move of the Thrashers. At this point, those jerseys belong to Winnipeg, True North and the Jets. That's where the nostalgia for that team is, so it'd be wrong to try and remove it.

The only thing the Coyotes should and do claim from Winnipeg is historical elements that are inextricably tied to the franchise; the season records and honored alumni like Hawerchuk. That stuff is part of this franchise that can't and shouldn't be ignored.

And besides, the Coyotes have been around long enough they have their own history to throw back to. Winnipeg can have all the logos and jerseys, because we sure as f*** weren't using them.

The history can remain with us, and the visuals can be used where they belong; in Winnipeg by a new Jets franchise. That's perfect for everyone.

I suppose that’s a decent compromise. As long as it’s not the records and accomplishments being transferred as well.

Reactions: CaptBrannigan

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
Once they make the retro jerseys the mains, it'll be unpopular to change to anything afterwards. So it limits their future sales and they'll hold off as long as possible. As another poster said, the next major rebuild is a good candidate. If they can get another 5-10 years out of the current set, maybe they'll have built up enough nostalgia and another 10 years after that they'll switch back again.

It’s not even about Coyotes fans. To me this is no different from putting up a Stanley Cup banner from a past franchise with the same name (ie Senators). Just because you chose the same name, doesn’t mean all that history is yours.
It's all arbitrary. History belongs to those who care about it. Retro Jets jerseys mean a hell of a lot more to the fans in Winnipeg than they do to anyone in Arizona. There's also no one in Arizona with any ties to the original Jets franchise anymore, so any sense of continuity there is only in your head.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Something like this?

WPG-HOME.jpg

WPG-ROAD.jpg

These are awful

Reactions: Moe Mantha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad