Post-Game Talk: RETRO NIGHT - Flying Skate Canucks 2 vs. Wendel Clark Leafs 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
They hate Hughson in Leafsland. It's like pls give him back we will trade you Melarchuk or whatever his name is.

It's weird. You guys hate Hughson and we hate Hughson as well.

Hughson, Simpson, and Healy are the worst. Always going love fest over whoever we face, and bashing us to no end.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
It's weird. You guys hate Hughson and we hate Hughson as well.

Hughson, Simpson, and Healy are the worst. Always going love fest over whoever we face, and bashing us to no end.

No we love Hughson. We do hate Simpson and Healy though. I only tolerate Hrudey because you can hear him get progressively more hammered as the game goes on and that's pretty decent entertainment value.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
No we love Hughson. We do hate Simpson and Healy though. I only tolerate Hrudey because you can hear him get progressively more hammered as the game goes on and that's pretty decent entertainment value.

Hughson has gotten pretty annoying lately tbh.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
The Johns have gotten far more obnoxious than Hughson lately IMO

Never been a John Garrett fan really, but I like Shorthouse...I think he does a good job overall but I do agree that they do seem a bit more obnoxious (I'm not sure its obnoxiousness but can't find a better description for it off hand)...I just remember the good old days of Jim Hughson calling games and enjoy the nostalgic quality of his calls.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Never been a John Garrett fan really, but I like Shorthouse...I think he does a good job overall but I do agree that they do seem a bit more obnoxious (I'm not sure its obnoxiousness but can't find a better description for it off hand)...I just remember the good old days of Jim Hughson calling games and enjoy the nostalgic quality of his calls.

Maybe you're right with obnoxious not being the right term but I would say "bland and repetitive" generally would be correct. Yes Garrett loves food, repeat ad nauseum for 6 years

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I blame sportsnet. They have pretty much ruined Canadian hockey broadcasts for me. Pre-game sucks, intermissions suck, they're superimposing ads everywhere possible, the audio/visual quality is poor far too often, etc.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Yeah, bland and repetitive is pretty accurate...it's become very "schticky".

Schticky is definitely a good term. It's like the broadcasting equivalent of Everyone Loves Raymond at this point. Ironically I don't really like Kenward as an interviewer but I actually kind of enjoy his PBP or Colour when he covers for one of the Johns.

I blame sportsnet. They have pretty much ruined Canadian hockey broadcasts for me. Pre-game sucks, intermissions suck, they're superimposing ads everywhere possible, the audio/visual quality is poor far too often, etc.

Basically. Not to mention every player interview sucks. I'm not asking for hard hitting journalism here and I'm aware you'll get PR responses but could you at least reword questions so it's not the same damn template every intermission? Christ.

I would almost prefer having the Swiss League level ads on jerseys so I don't have to ****ing listen to another Budget Brake and Muffler commercial ever again.

CCF

This is the year....
Feb 8, 2003
Across Canada
Every game in the NHL should be called by Cuthbert.

Impartial, great voice, and adds excitement to the game through the way he calls it. Unfortunately, since he is with TSN never hear him anymore.

Best in the business.

Last edited:

IslesGM

Jan 4, 2011
Go **** yourself Toronto.

What's with all the god damn 4 PM starts. The NCAA, AHL both love to play @ 4 PM and now we have to play @ 4 PM while we are playing at home?

Eat **** Sportsnet

x 1million

I blame Kypreos.

Time to soothe myself by watching the blood pour out of his head for the 6,000th time.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Schticky is definitely a good term. It's like the broadcasting equivalent of Everyone Loves Raymond at this point. Ironically I don't really like Kenward as an interviewer but I actually kind of enjoy his PBP or Colour when he covers for one of the Johns.

They just need a canned laugh track to play at these little quips back and forth and it really wouldn't be much different than a very lame sit-com.

Kenward seems like a good guy but I don't enjoy him on TV, seems too stiff and "Guy Smiley" like. And really don't enjoy Irfan Gaffar, although he has improved from when he first started. They need a little more personality.

Every game should in the NHL should be called by Cuthbert.

Impartial, great voice, and adds excitement to the game through the way he calls it. Unfortunately, since he is with TSN never hear him anymore.

Best in the business.

Cuthbert is really good. I really liked Dallas' combo of Darryl Reaugh and Ralph Strangis, they were entertaining to listen to...although Reaugh was over the top verbose at times.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Rick Ball >>> Shorthouse

Hughson is meh too. Says the same stuff literally in every game.

although I will say that both of their calls of that Burrows OT goal vs the Hawks is my all time fav. Up there with the Robson "Adams! Greg Adams!" call

Last edited:

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Hughson just comes off across as fake now that he's been with the big guns for awhile. It was better when he was solely passionate about the Canucks.

Cuthbert is the best in the business.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I think the negativity directed towards Hughson comes from the fact he calls Leafs games and everyone (at least the smart people) on the good side of the country hate the Leafs...and when you are the play by play guy for a given team, you tend to lend favor to that team. He wouldn't have a job very long if he didn't at least act somewhat pro-Leaf if thats the team he was covering on a day to day basis....same as any other play by play guy who covers a single team.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Hughson just comes off across as fake now that he's been with the big guns for awhile. It was better when he was solely passionate about the Canucks.

Cuthbert is the best in the business.

The leafs ruined hughson. He was great when we had him. I blame the leafs. They stole his soul

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Hutton needs to shoot more on the PP.

20,000th post...only took me just over 13 years. lol

Kind of funny, 5 on 5 Hutton has 51 shots to Edler's 73, But Hutton has 96 iCorsi to Edler's 152 iCorsi. Hutton's actually very efficient at getting his shot through.

Just a fun fact for ya. Grats on ur 20,000th post !

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Kind of funny, 5 on 5 Hutton has 51 shots to Edler's 73, But Hutton has 96 iCorsi to Edler's 152 iCorsi. Hutton's actually very efficient at getting his shot through.

Just a fun fact for ya. Grats on ur 20,000th post !

Thanks....I do agree that Hutton tends to get his shots through, thats why I'd like to see him shoot more, especially on the PP...he seems to defer to others on the PP too much IMO.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia

Hrudey is tolerable as long as TJ Brodie isn't involved in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad