Speculation: retool? rebuild? i dont think chevy is done

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
I listened to Chevys entire conference and i devoured as much as i could. He was pretty adamant not to be rash and trade because fans are pissed though he feels for them he blatantly said we don't affect his decision making. Makes me know Kaner will be here for a while.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
I think the fact that Maurice was only given the season says the exact opposite of a rebuild. To me, it looks like they still expect to compete and have given Maurice the reigns to do his very best with it. If he falters, there is more coaches available in the off season.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Let the season go on under Maurice and have him evaluate the team while you evaluate him. If he does good and gets the team playing better keep him, if it doesn't look like they're buying into his system or whatever find a new coach if there are better options in the summer. Personally I think they'll extend him, hopefully not too soon though.

Trade the UFA's at the deadline for whatever you can get. Retain salary if you have to and it will help get a deal done. Setoguchi, Jokinen, Stuart should all be actively shopped.

In the summer reevaluate where you are and what's available. If there is a deal that works before the summer you make it everytime but the summer is the time to actively shop one of our core players for a deal. I and everyone expect that will be Byfuglien but I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone over 25 get traded. Not sure what they'll do with Kane. There's not many people that really know how TNSE really feels about him, so it's hard to say. If they are unhappy with him they could try to trade him, but I think they'll probably keep him. Kane brings a lot to the team on the ice I really can't see how you can trade him without a young top 6 winger coming back, and then you're just making lateral moves.

Chevy will take the patient and safe approach. Can't see him trading youth away so that why I'm confused by all these Kane rumours. An important note to think about with Kane is that after this season he will only be 4 away from UFA. Are we really going to be contending for anything of significance in the next 3 or 4 years?

You can only retain 50% of any contract in trades.

Retaining as much salary as possible is probably the best way to maximize the return for our pending UFA's.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Retaining as much salary as possible is probably the best way to maximize the return for our pending UFA's.

Honestly it might be the only way this season for some contending teams to load up.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Listen to Olie, he knows whats going on. First you fire the coach, wait a bit and see what happens, then you start moving out players if things don't improve.

This is one of the worst teams in the NHL and they just got their coach fired... they are all being shopped around for the right price.

pcanuck

Jun 6, 2011
Edmonton
let's not get too excited ... Chevy is late to the party. I said Noel should have been canned last year, then I mentioned Nov. It's the end of the month with really about 15 games to assess the talent on this team - which is not very much time. Chevy is not blowing up this team. He'll find some trades he likes for UFA and drive the market up on Buff, etc but I doubt players are moving. Chevy covered his rear yesterday - that's it.

The Jets were becoming boring and really irrelevant for many people. Some weren't showing up for games (although they weren't alot) and the media were all over Chevy. Heck, even Lawless started blaming the players to take the heat off Chevy and Noel.

I said it last year - TNSE is broken. Drieger from TSN hit on it. Chevy has to go before this gets fixed.

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
Well hopefully this put the spotlight directly on Chevy now.

He had lots of time to assess this team and he married himself to this core. He misguidedly believes in this core. He should now be judged on what those players achieve.

Actions speak far louder than words and yesterday said it all. Expect more of the same moving forward.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Chevy is on the right track, but it takes time. Not every single trade or signing by any GM is a homerun. I highly doubt Kane is going any where unless some other GM blows our socks off with a wild deal, which does not happen often in the NHL. Not to mention the chemistry between Kane and Mark having increased just increased Kane's value to the Jets.

In the past when no one fit great with Kane, I could see the Jets considering offers. But now with Mark and Kane being a great pair, no sense in breaking that up (this would hurt the Jets).

Kane is staying in WPG IMHO.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
We need some testosterone singing the anthem to get those boys fired up. Other teams have figure that out, and I'm not joking

Maybe we should get Syd Davy in his full viking gear?

Seriously though, I dont believe chevy has any intention of moving Kane. I would believe that they are actively shopping the ufas plus 33, 31,40,24 and maybe even 44.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
According to TFP the Jets are now actively shopping #33 & #9. Not sure there's anything credible in it though

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/wpg140112a.html

As you stated, I doubt that particular report is credible.

The same guy claimed last summer that Bogo would never sign here long-term. He has been steadily claiming the Jets will trade Kane since the day the team arrived in Winnipeg.

While Chevy may indeed not be finished, I wouldn't base that thought upon anything that particular blogger has to say. He clearly has zero contacts here - based upon his posting history about the Jets. It is not as if Chevy would share his trade ideas with a "hockey lifestyle" magazine anyway to begin with. The Jets are pretty tight lipped, even with the local press.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Until (if ever) Pav's numbers dramatically improve (and if they do why trade him) I don't see anyone taking him. I guessing we're married to Pav's for the duration of his contract unless he's bought out.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Of course it isn't my money, but IMO if you can get more return retaining salary it is almost like buying more/better draft picks.

Not my money either but I look at it as a sunk cost. If a player is injured then we deal with the same issue. As long as we aren't adding to the parole too much then it’s an investment. So we are forced to pay a few AHL players that fill in their NHL value I don't look at that as a terrible thing. Last year I agreed with standing pat and taking our shot at the playoffs but this year my vote is that we are hard sellers at the deadline and if they are a pending UFA's, make us an offer.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Why is nobody talking about Montoya in this context? He's a goalie with an above average save % this year, playing behind a putrid defence. His salary could easily fit under just about any team's cap. He's a UFA. Why isn't he a trade chip? Surely not all of the contender's are totally satisfied with their backup. I'm just surprised he is never talked about in this way. If people think that Stuart has value, there surely Monty has some as well.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Pretty sure this is bunk. I definitely think there could be some guys gone just before or just after the Olympic break, but those trades will be made based on Maurice's evaluation of the players over the next 13 games. Shopping guys before Maurice gets a chance to make evaluations would be unfair to Maurice and to the players, and frankly, just an unprofessional way to go about things.

I'm sure that before Noel's firing Cheveldayoff was very active on the phones and may have even been to the point that he was willing to discuss some core players. But now that he's pulled the trigger on the firing I cannot imagine he is still spending all that much time on the phones. Right now he should be focused on building a relationship with Maurice and figuring out who stays and who goes in the long term.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Listen to Olie, he knows whats going on. First you fire the coach, wait a bit and see what happens, then you start moving out players if things don't improve.

This is one of the worst teams in the NHL and they just got their coach fired... they are all being shopped around for the right price.

Would love to hear Olie say what he really thinks (guy has really impressed me this year), it would probably shock a lot of people and point a pretty big finger at Chevy.

Flat out Chevy has had 3 years to evaluate and by now should have realized the shortcomings of the core. Hockey isn't all about stats, size and speed sometimes guts, desire and heart play in thing's that anyone on the Jets core sorely lacks. Put any of the Jets core on the mic. and they rehash the same sorry excuses, say what they should do or should have done but never follow that up in the next game.

Most of the core has to be moved before they INFECT guys like Schief and Trouba with their don't give a sheet attitudes.:rant:

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

Though he's an unpopular player on the forums, and athlete interviews should often be met with a combination of skepticism and cynicism, I really liked the things he said in that interview. The stuff about being to live with losing, after trying their best...because it means the other team had to beat you. The things about 15,000 GM's in the stands, and players getting shipped out next, etc.

He's lost a few steps in his game, but his interviews are good to watch and his maturity seems genuine rather than feigned. It seems like he's stepping in front of the mic every post-game.

His actual production (non-fancy stats) isn't too bad...28 pts in 47 games, which is actually good for 4th among Jets forwards (behind LLW who have 30, 36, 33). I wouldn't mind retaining Joker on short, cheap contract.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
Would love to hear Olie say what he really thinks (guy has really impressed me this year), it would probably shock a lot of people and point a pretty big finger at Chevy.

Flat out Chevy has had 3 years to evaluate and by now should have realized the shortcomings of the core. Hockey isn't all about stats, size and speed sometimes guts, desire and heart play in thing's that anyone on the Jets core sorely lacks. Put any of the Jets core on the mic. and they rehash the same sorry excuses, say what they should do or should have done but never follow that up in the next game.

Most of the core has to be moved before they INFECT guys like Schief and Trouba with their don't give a sheet attitudes.:rant:

Sipowicz are you calling out Buff, Wheeler, and Ladd?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
His actual production (non-fancy stats) isn't too bad...28 pts in 47 games, which is actually good for 4th among Jets forwards (behind LLW who have 30, 36, 33). I wouldn't mind retaining Joker on short, cheap contract.

I'd rather trade him at the deadline and then re-sign him as a UFA to that short, cheap contract. ;)

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Though he's an unpopular player on the forums, and athlete interviews should often be met with a combination of skepticism and cynicism, I really liked the things he said in that interview. The stuff about being to live with losing, after trying their best...because it means the other team had to beat you. The things about 15,000 GM's in the stands, and players getting shipped out next, etc.

He's lost a few steps in his game, but his interviews are good to watch and his maturity seems genuine rather than feigned. It seems like he's stepping in front of the mic every post-game.

This is just me ( and I know I might get reamed for it ) but, IF the Jets were to resign Olie for say another 3 years.... I would rip that "C" right off Ladd's jersey and give it to Olie. Yes, Olie's skills have slipped a bit, but he has been around the block and knows what players need to do to win.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Sipowicz are you calling out Buff, Wheeler, and Ladd?

Who me?:sarcasm: Add Enstrom and Bogosian to that list as well. Kane has shown this year that he cares and plays like it on the ice, more so than any of the so-called core, at the beginning of the season who would have thought that.

Zippity

Feb 3, 2013
This is just me ( and I know I might get reamed for it ) but, IF the Jets were to resign Olie for say another 3 years.... I would rip that "C" right off Ladd's jersey and give it to Olie. Yes, Olie's skills have slipped a bit, but he has been around the block and knows what players need to do to win.

I heard today Ladd might be going to Edmonton

Positive

Enjoy your flight
May 4, 2007
Osborne Village in the 'Peg

I don't know about that. Maybe tattoo a 'C' on him. Huh, never thought Olli would be a 'manscaping plus tattoos' kind of guy.

130909_OLLI15_16913072.jpg

Seems like he slams his stick down in anger every time his line is scored against (which unfortunately has been happening too much). A player that had a combination of Kane's athleticism, with Buff's talent, Scheif's enthusiasm, Trouba's edge, Stuart's grit, and Olli's maturity would be a superstar for the ages.

On a side note, as much of a fan of Ladd's as I was, I'm not sure he's the right man for the Captaincy any more. I don't know who is.

Last edited:

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I think Kane is one of the players you would need to overpay the most for on this roster right now. One of the few players still trending very much upward. (Especially paired with Schief, who is one of the other bright spots. Having both improve together, #55 in every way, and #9 in vision, using linemates, etc. has great potential.)

If you get a crazy offer, sure, take it. But he can clearly score goals, he's starting to show he can set them up too, and he plays a high intensity game nearly every night. He's gotta have a pretty big price tag. I doubt he's being shopped.

You shop the guys you'd be happy to get rid of, not the "pry him out with an offer I'd be stupid not to take" guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad