Speculation: retool? rebuild? i dont think chevy is done

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Judging by how today has gone I just can't escape the feeling that Chevy is nowhere near done. He pretty much admitted this roster isn't good enough. The timing is also peculiar, just a few weeks before the Olympic break. Also with Maurice only gettig this season I can't escape the feeling that hes going to be some sort of rebuilding coach, not a long term option. One small thing worth mentioning is no doubt he still has contacts with tsn, and may use those between now and the deadline. I can McKenzie now "the jets are receiving heavy interest from a dozen teams for players such as byfuglien, Kane, wheeler, ladd, Jokinen, Setoguchi, but his prices remain high as it is a sellers market this year". Or something along those lines. Thefourthperiod.com is reporting talks with several teams and we have made buff and Kane available.

When Chevy spoke with the team today I'm wondering if he mentioned that anyone wanting to be traded would be.

veganhunter

Mexico City Coyotes!
Feb 15, 2010
Calgary
I think a mini rebuild is the direction I would go with this roster but who knows. Either way trading Kane is not smart, Ladd, Wheeler, Buff, and Stu just to name a few should be gone long before Kane.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
According to TFP the Jets are now actively shopping #33 & #9. Not sure there's anything credible in it though

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/wpg140112a.html

I really doubt that the Jets are "actively shopping" any players, especially not Kane. It would be foolish to act from such a position of weakness. So, unless Chevy is an idiot, he is likely playing a patient game and waiting for the right opportunity.

All of these "rumours" about the Jets "shopping" players are likely coming from other organizations and their media since they hope that they will destabilize the situation in Winnipeg. This coaching change will probably settle those rumours down.

I expect that the Jets will look at deadline deals, and then perhaps look at any major trades in the off-season - unless another team gives them an offer that blows them away.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Haven't we been actively trading Evander Kane for 3 seasons now?

Sure, according to other teams, their media and their fans, who all want Kane at a discount.

If the Jets end up trading a core player they should do so in the context of multiple suitors to create a competitive bidding situation. That is very difficult to do in the middle of the season when so many teams are up against the salary cap. It makes much more sense to do this in the off-season when most teams are disappointed with their performance, and they have cap space to maneuver.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Judging by chevys past trading I doubt he would sell anyone for less than what they're worth. He could get some pretty big overpayments this year, look at how many teams are against the cap. Not all selling teams can afford to retain salary. There's a very unique oppurtunity here. At the very least is expect him to sell Jokinen, Setoguchi, and Stuart. More moves at the draft.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
This team has never been anything.

That's exactly the point. We've always been a team hovering around the line so Chevy cannot make a clear move to sell or buy. This year it is clear the playoffs are out of reach, and we are well before the deadline.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Judging by chevys past trading I doubt he would sell anyone for less than what they're worth. He could get some pretty big overpayments this year, look at how many teams are against the cap. Not all selling teams can afford to retain salary. There's a very unique oppurtunity here. At the very least is expect him to sell Jokinen, Setoguchi, and Stuart. More moves at the draft.

Not sure how it works, but could Noel sell Joker and keep pretty much all of his salary?

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Let the season go on under Maurice and have him evaluate the team while you evaluate him. If he does good and gets the team playing better keep him, if it doesn't look like they're buying into his system or whatever find a new coach if there are better options in the summer. Personally I think they'll extend him, hopefully not too soon though.

Trade the UFA's at the deadline for whatever you can get. Retain salary if you have to and it will help get a deal done. Setoguchi, Jokinen, Stuart should all be actively shopped.

In the summer reevaluate where you are and what's available. If there is a deal that works before the summer you make it everytime but the summer is the time to actively shop one of our core players for a deal. I and everyone expect that will be Byfuglien but I wouldn't be surprised to see anyone over 25 get traded. Not sure what they'll do with Kane. There's not many people that really know how TNSE really feels about him, so it's hard to say. If they are unhappy with him they could try to trade him, but I think they'll probably keep him. Kane brings a lot to the team on the ice I really can't see how you can trade him without a young top 6 winger coming back, and then you're just making lateral moves.

Chevy will take the patient and safe approach. Can't see him trading youth away so that why I'm confused by all these Kane rumours. An important note to think about with Kane is that after this season he will only be 4 away from UFA. Are we really going to be contending for anything of significance in the next 3 or 4 years?

Not sure how it works, but could Noel sell Joker and keep pretty much all of his salary?

You can only retain 50% of any contract in trades.

Last edited:

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I've been thinking about something, and I think the fast hire of Maurice supports this, is that there is a bit of genius timing to hiring the new coach now, given a few things:
  • 13 games - The next 13 games prior to the Olympic Break, I suspect, will be used By Coach Maurice for evaluation. Our last game game before the break is on Feb 8, and I kind of don't expect much action, roster-wise, during this period.
  • The Olympic Break - this year, there is a two-week break in February. No NHL games between Feb 9th and 24th. This period of time, I suspect, will include much time where Chevy and Maurice are going to have a lot of conversation about roster and changes that need to be made. Again, I don't think we'll see the moves just at this time, but things could happen here (unless there is a roster freeze that I don't know about).
  • 3 games - Between the Olympic break and the Trade Deadline, the Jets have 3 games. If someone's getting traded, we might see them scratched from the lineup for one or more of these games.
  • Trade Deadline - Zero hour. This will be the point where we get a glimpse at what Chevy is thinking with this group. I expect that we'll still have Buff because once the salary cap goes up their should be more suitors for him. Stuart might be gone, same with Wheeler. But I really don't expect a total fire sale.

Anyway, the reason the timing is genius, aside from the great amount of time it allows Maurice to get into things and make his own judgements, is because it gives the new coach a chance to offer some unbiased (or, not yet biased) input before his neck is on the line. Offering this input puts his neck on the line though, so it's win/win for Chevy too. Meaning, lots of the political crap that their relationship can involved is done away with really quickly, and they are both working together without any other influence right off the bat.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I just don't see them moving Kane. He's displayed growth this year, and they seem to have something with him and Scheifele, who they hope to build a team around. That move, to me, would mean getting something better in return, and no one who wants Kane is sending back another winger who is better than him.

Kane's growing up. I used to hate that kid, but he's slowly turning his immaturity around, and I think we have a real fireball in the making with him.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
[*]The Olympic Break - this year, there is a two-week break in February. No NHL games between Feb 9th and 24th. This period of time, I suspect, will include much time where Chevy and Maurice are going to have a lot of conversation about roster and changes that need to be made. Again, I don't think we'll see the moves just at this time, but things could happen here (unless there is a roster freeze that I don't know about).

There is an olympic break roster freeze. So no trades allowed Feb 6-27 (I think it is) The same roster freeze happened in 2010 and there was a bunch of trades executed before the olympic break. Trades will probably happen in advance of the break this time as well.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
This may be kind of heartless, but I'm kind of hoping Stacy Natress is next on the chopping block, followed by Pavelec, Stuart and Wheeler's moustache.

hockeytalk21

Nov 11, 2011
This may be kind of heartless, but I'm kind of hoping Stacy Natress is next on the chopping block, followed by Pavelec, Stuart and Wheeler's moustache.

This organization would be nothing without Stacy. All kidding aside, she's awesome and don't know how you could say such a thing.

nags

Sep 27, 2006
I really doubt that the Jets are "actively shopping" any players, especially not Kane. It would be foolish to act from such a position of weakness. So, unless Chevy is an idiot, he is likely playing a patient game and waiting for the right opportunity.

All of these "rumours" about the Jets "shopping" players are likely coming from other organizations and their media since they hope that they will destabilize the situation in Winnipeg. This coaching change will probably settle those rumours down.

I expect that the Jets will look at deadline deals, and then perhaps look at any major trades in the off-season - unless another team gives them an offer that blows them away.

It's called "astroturfing". Has been used a lot in Canada, particulary in Quebec. A lot of posters on here don't believe something like this could ever happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00