Speculation: retool? rebuild? i dont think chevy is done

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
You do realize Diaz is UFA after this season?

Patches is fine but we could get more around deadline than Patches + Diaz to the end of the season + Prospect that is doubtful to ever make an impact in this league.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
agreed romang, and i think you coudl acquire a decent
LD from another org using Diaz/Postma/Redmond/pick your RHD + hudon

It gives us one really good fitting piece, and i feel the appropriate assets to find the second piece.

obviously getting it done in one deal would be ideal, but you can't walways be so picky

EDIT: did not realize diaz was UFA at the end of this season.

but in reality...do you really think you'll get considerably more then Pacioretty fo rbuff? Is he having a down season? I was under the assumption he was pretty much a top line RW....

edit edit: looking more into Pach...he's definitly a legit top line wing signed for 5 more seasons at a reasonable caphit..I don't think i'd be asking for much more then that for Buff. expecting a young top line winger ona good contract + a top 4 lhd seems greedy.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
The complete list of Winnipeg Jets who have outscored (per game) Max Pacioretty over the last 3 seasons:

[/list]

He is the Habs best forward. He is younger than Byfuglien and a better winger than Byfuglien.

IMO Patches, Hudon and Diaz would be a steal to the point I don't think their GM would do it.

Keep Hudon and Diaz, flip them again, whatever. Let them walk. Patches for Buff alone is likely a win.

Teams don't give away 25 year old 30 goal scorers very often, especially when they are solid in both ends.

I'd take Patches for Byfuglien straight up, without thinking - especially if the plan is to play Byfuglien on the wing.

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
The complete list of Winnipeg Jets who have outscored (per game) Max Pacioretty over the last 3 seasons:

[/list]

He is the Habs best forward. He is younger than Byfuglien and a better winger than Byfuglien.

IMO Patches, Hudon and Diaz would be a steal to the point I don't think their GM would do it.

Keep Hudon and Diaz, flip them again, whatever. Let them walk. Patches for Buff alone is likely a win.

Teams don't give away 25 year old 30 goal scorers very often, especially when they are solid in both ends.

I'd take Patches for Byfuglien straight up, without thinking - especially if the plan is to play Byfuglien on the wing.

And that's the point: We don't know what they have planned but we DO know what Buff is able to do and stanley cup contenders know it, too. They know that they can use him in several roles.

Yes, I believe we can get more than a 1on1 trade Patches/Buff.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

[/list]

this was the conclusion i came to upon doing more looking at patches.i seriously don't get what mtl fans are always shopping him

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I don't see how we lose a Buff for Patches trade straight up, especially considering both contracts.

If they wanted to give us more, that's great, although I wouldn't have any use for Diaz. Make it Del A Rose. :)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Dude, she's the best anthem singer in the league. No frills, keeps it short, what more do you want?

She's terrible. The woman who sings the WSA Winnipeg Anthems (can't remember her name right now) is 10 times better. I think it's a 3 way tie between her, Heather Liscano (Calgary) and that guy in Vancouver as some of the worst regular anthem singers.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
And here I thought the guy in YVR was one of the best in the NHL. Different strokes for different folks. Age has a lot to do with it. And I'm an old(er) bugger. :)

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
And here I thought the guy in YVR was one of the best in the NHL. Different strokes for different folks. Age has a lot to do with it. And I'm an old(er) bugger. :)

It's art, and art is subjective. To each their own :)

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
this was the conclusion i came to upon doing more looking at patches.i seriously don't get what mtl fans are always shopping him

Well first of all his wife and family still live in the US, which is, for quebec people, a major issue (just kidding !! well maybe not..... :shakehead ). He's been doing good, but lazy at times, and we've got some good kids with Galchy, Gally, Eller, Andrighetto, Hudon, Bournival, De La Rose, Bozon... Bergevin may be willing to bring what the Habs need the most, a big skilled power forward, and except Patch, he won't move Galchenyuk/Gallacher/Price/Subban, and knowing that Montreal has a hard time signing free agents (taxes, fans...) the only way to bring this missing piece is by a big traded, as simple as that, and except this 4 names, who's the player attracting the GM right now? MaxPac.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well first of all his wife and family still live in the US, which is, for quebec people, a major issue (just kidding !! well maybe not..... :shakehead ). He's been doing good, but lazy at times, and we've got some good kids with Galchy, Gally, Eller, Andrighetto, Hudon, Bournival, De La Rose, Bozon... Bergevin may be willing to bring what the Habs need the most, a big skilled power forward, and except Patch, he won't move Galchenyuk/Gallacher/Price/Subban, and knowing that Montreal has a hard time signing free agents (taxes, fans...) the only way to bring this missing piece is by a big traded, as simple as that, and except this 4 names, who's the player attracting the GM right now? MaxPac.

MaxPac is also a typical streak scorer and that can really annoy fans. I know early this season he and DD were in the dog house and then Patches went on an insane run of goal scoring and silenced the crowd for a bit.

The wives not moving can be an issue for sure because it makes it feel like they are not in the plans long term (we have had some issues with that in Winnipeg as well).

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Kane-Scheif-Wheel
Ladd-Little-Fro
?-?-?
Tang-O'Dell-Hali
Wright-Slate-Pel

Tobi-Bogo
? - Troub
Clit-Post
Ell-Red

Not saying that's what the lines/depth should be, but giving a general area of depth and needs.

Chevy has work to do this summer:
* 3 more top-9 F
* 1 top-4 D
Hopefully some of this comes with a good Buff trade.

Also, an upgrade on the 4th line and backup wouldn't hurt...

Hopefully our youth step up and/or Burmi returns with good standing/attitude to plug some of those holes and make Chevy's job easier.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Agreed Garret.

I would love to see Chevy actually start looking at the whole bottom 6 with a clean slate. We could use upgrades on almost all of our current bottom 6 IMO. We definitely need a real 2nd pair LHD, and hopefully Clitsome can handle the 3rd pair next year. I thought he struggled horribly before he was injured.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Agreed Garret.

I would love to see Chevy actually start looking at the whole bottom 6 with a clean slate. We could use upgrades on almost all of our current bottom 6 IMO. We definitely need a real 2nd pair LHD, and hopefully Clitsome can handle the 3rd pair next year. I thought he struggled horribly before he was injured.

Do we know when he got injured?

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
MaxPac is also a typical streak scorer and that can really annoy fans. I know early this season he and DD were in the dog house and then Patches went on an insane run of goal scoring and silenced the crowd for a bit.

The wives not moving can be an issue for sure because it makes it feel like they are not in the plans long term (we have had some issues with that in Winnipeg as well).

Seeing the Habs losing streak right now, Eller and Pacioretty are clearly being shopped. The Jets had the same issue with wives not moving in Manitoba?

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seeing the Habs losing streak right now, Eller and Pacioretty are clearly being shopped. The Jets had the same issue with wives not moving in Manitoba?

Yea a few of the veterans wives were less committed to Winnipeg but that stuff happens. It can be tough if they have families and don't want to move the kids out of schools etc but as one example Antropov moved his family to Winnipeg in year 1 and in year 2 they didn't come back. That was the last year of Nic's contract and they must have made a family decision that with the lockout they were not going to move their family back to Winnipeg and register their kids in School with the threat of no season hanging over them. there are two other veterans who are no longer with us that their wives didn't last in Winnipeg either but I would prefer to not mention names. That kind if stuff happens in most Canadian markets whether it be media pressure, weather, small cites, too much off ice attention, or other.

This use to be a big factor in the precap era now I look at it as something a GM has to be aware of but nothing that will limit a teams chances to build a winner if managed correctly.

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Yea a few of the veterans wives were less committed to Winnipeg but that stuff happens. It can be tough if they have families and don't want to move the kids out of schools etc but as one example Antropov moved his family to Winnipeg in year 1 and in year 2 they didn't come back. That was the last year of Nic's contract and they must have made a family decision that with the lockout they were not going to move their family back to Winnipeg and register their kids in School with the threat of no season hanging over them. there are two other veterans who are no longer with us that their wives didn't last in Winnipeg either but I would prefer to not mention names. That kind if stuff happens in most Canadian markets whether it be media pressure, weather, small cites, too much off ice attention, or other.

This use to be a big factor in the precap era now I look at it as something a GM has to be aware of but nothing that will limit a teams chances to build a winner if managed correctly.

i can't stop to think that if Pacioretty would be traded to Florida or L.A. his wife would follow him as soon as possible:sarcasm:

You know sometimes i don't understand pro athletes, i moved from Halifax NS to Helsinki Finland, i have much less money than any nhlers, but my kids and wife followed me imemdiately even if they knew that in 2 years i could be back in Canada, it was a new life, new language, but i guess i may be wrong somewhere...:shakehead

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
i can't stop to think that if Pacioretty would be traded to Florida or L.A. his wife would follow him as soon as possible:sarcasm:

You know sometimes i don't understand pro athletes, i moved from Halifax NS to Helsinki Finland, i have much less money than any nhlers, but my kids and wife followed me imemdiately even if they knew that in 2 years i could be back in Canada, it was a new life, new language, but i guess i may be wrong somewhere...:shakehead

Yea I would take your route unless I new it was going to be for 1 year and my kids were established in their school with their friends etc and were older. Even then I would probably sell them on the life experience of a new adventure.

I have no idea why Max's wife would not move when he is signed to a long term deal in Montreal, does she have a heavy career in the states? I kind of get it if they have one year left on a deal, husbands are on the road allot etc, but even then why not suck it up I mean isn't that part of what marriage is about?

Nordiques1979

Nov 29, 2009
Laval QC
Yea I would take your route unless I new it was going to be for 1 year and my kids were established in their school with their friends etc and were older. Even then I would probably sell them on the life experience of a new adventure.

I have no idea why Max's wife would not move when he is signed to a long term deal in Montreal, does she have a heavy career in the states? I kind of get it if they have one year left on a deal, husbands are on the road allot etc, but even then why not suck it up I mean isn't that part of what marriage is about?

That's why some players are loved, not mostly because they are good players, but because they love their team, care about their fans... Guys like Thornton in Boston, Smyth in Edmonton, Hartnell in Philly, they are fully involved in their team's community.

Last edited:

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria

Ah, they just want the money anyway.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
That's why some players are loved, not mostly because they are good players, but because they love their team, care about their fans... Guys like Thornton in Boston, Smyth in Edmonton, Hartnell in Philly, they are fully involved in their team's community.

It's tough when you feel a guy and his wife are not all in at least during the season. When a players wife doesn't move with him to me it feels like the team and player are living on borrowed time which may be the wrong way to look at it but its how I feel. If its mid season trade I compleley get it but past that the circumstances would need to be exceptional for me to not feel like it was a bad omen.

That being said our weather has absolutly sucked in Winnipeg this winter and I am guessing it is very trying on the wives because its been terrible for the locals.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
It's tough when you feel a guy and his wife are not all in at least during the season. When a players wife doesn't move with him to me it feels like the team and player are living on borrowed time which may be the wrong way to look at it but its how I feel. If its mid season trade I compleley get it but past that the circumstances would need to be exceptional for me to not feel like it was a bad omen.

That being said our weather has absolutly sucked in Winnipeg this winter and I am guessing it is very trying on the wives because its been terrible for the locals.

The first year the Jets were here I thought the winter was pretty good, for a Winnipeg winter. But yeah, this one has felt long, even though we didn't get snow until mid-November. It's just been kind of relentless. We should try to keep that quiet during the off-season ;)

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The first year the Jets were here I thought the winter was pretty good, for a Winnipeg winter. But yeah, this one has felt long, even though we didn't get snow until mid-November. It's just been kind of relentless. We should try to keep that quiet during the off-season ;)

Moms the word buggs!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3