Confirmed with Link: Reto Berra traded to FLA for Rocco Grimaldi

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Marty St Louis was pretty short, and was also absolutely fantastic (and a late bloomer). never know :)

Alright, we'll just chalk up a 100 point season for Grimaldi in his 6th NHL season with the Avs.

hattrick3518

Jan 31, 2011
B-Ham
The thought of losing Reto used to be unberrable, but now this is spectacular, rocc on rocco.

I have always had a bit of a penchant for Grimaldi (or any UND player for that matter). Pretty excited to see him in the Avs organization. I imagine he will be in the AHL, which is good, he's a good addition down there. But, if he can somehow put in a good offseason he may be able to earn a spot on the big club. I could see him being useful on the PP and such.

So happy to have this work out the way it did.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
For the last time.

Bz1ziafIIAAHqoy.jpg

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I made this joke a few weeks ago even before this trade... but...

Roy is going to put up one of those carnival ride you must be this tall to ride signs next to he clubhouse door and point to it anytime Rocco wants to get on the ice.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Marty St Louis was pretty short, and was also absolutely fantastic (and a late bloomer). never know :)

For every MSL though there's dozens of washouts. Not that I'm saying Grimaldi will bust, but history shows the odds are more than likely.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

I'll be shocked if he gets more than 10 games in an Avs sweater. Assuming he keeps his AHL production up, I bet he'll get some time as an injury call up, but after 2 assists and a -5 through 7 games, he'll get sent right back down.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Rampage will need some puck skill next year so he'll probably get a chance to put up points.

I'm a bit surprised he's just a 0.65 PPG guy in the AHL. That's pretty much where Hishon is and we've not been that happy with his production.

Last edited:

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
So we traded our 2nd (54 OA) for Berra, and now traded Berra, for Rocco, who was picked in the 2nd round, 33 OA

#Progress

Heck, he was picked ahead of Boone Jenner, John Gibson, Brandon Saad, and Johnny Hockey :laugh:

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Rampage will need some puck skill next year so he'll probably get a chance to put up points.

I'm a bit surprised he's just a 0.65 PPG guy in the AHL. That's pretty much where Hishon is and we've not been that happy with his production.

he started off fast here in SA but as the season went on kinda slowed down. i don't recall if he had had an injury or what, but he was playing more games vs college (including 2 games in one day in the AHL day game and NHL night game). he seems eager to please, but sometimes seems to get kinda down on himself, confidence is def important for him. i think going up and down last yr plus a minor injury may have played a role into why he got off to a bit of a slow start, but i'm not 100%.

i do remember that NHL game in toronto where he scored and he was so close to getting a hat trick. was a lot of fun to watch again for sure though cause when that battery is full, he's gone.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wonder who approached who? I cant imagine FLA was that crazy about Berra and yet Rocco is a midget so was the interest coming from us?

I would guess Avs initiated the whole thing because I can't see Berra in AHL another year where he would block Martin and Roy obviously had no real faith in him at the NHL level.

Shedding that contract and the visual reminder of getting fleeced in a trade is probably the goal here.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I would guess Avs initiated the whole thing because I can't see Berra in AHL another year where he would block Martin and Roy obviously had no real faith in him at the NHL level.

Shedding that contract and the visual reminder of getting fleeced in a trade is probably the goal here.

I think the opposite scenario, but more so think it was a branch from a separate trade conversation.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Haha yah. This is why im done making any trades with Calgary. I cant think of one time where we came out on top in a trade with Calgary. Still have PTSD from freakin Jeff Shantz.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I wonder who approached who? I cant imagine FLA was that crazy about Berra and yet Rocco is a midget so was the interest coming from us?

I bet Florida did... they are looking to solve their backup goalie issue, and Montoya isn't coming back. Other backups on the market may cost even more than Berra and potentially be worse.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I hope Berra can find a home. He gets way too much **** from our fanbase just because of the price we paid for him, because he blocked Pickard for a while, and because of those horrific first couple of starts. Really makes me feel for a guy who seems really great off the ice. Florida should also be a better fit for him, as he's a lot more similar to Lu than he is Varly or Picks, at least when it comes to having to see the puck to stop it...thus his success at the start of the year, when Varly was struggling with the new shot blocking scheme that also blocked his sightlines.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I bet Florida did... they are looking to solve their backup goalie issue, and Montoya isn't coming back. Other backups on the market may cost even more than Berra and potentially be worse.

I agree, but Berra isn't a huge upgrade, or even one at all on Montoya. I know people bash Al because of his draft selection, but he's a very solid back up. He might not have Reto's size, but he has been MUCH more consistent than him in the second goaler role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad