Resume of the 2018-1019 in a few words

Mandala

Dec 7, 2006
A team that nobody thought would make the playoffs. They played much better than expected. So playoffs or not I like their progression. I just want them to fight until the end and take it from there. Make the playoffs? Cool, playoff hockey. Don't make the playoffs? Ok who could they draft at 15th position?

jordy

Apr 18, 2007
hot start but ran out of gas at the end. love the additions of domi and tatar. drouin frustrating and wildly inconsistent.

weber needs to go asap.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Worst PP in the league

Drouin still a soft perimeter player

Poor center depth despite Domi doing well

Kotkaniemi will be good but will need to add some serious strength

Weber clearly on the decline unless he is playing with a groin or something like that

Price distorting the datas once again this year saving this team ass every nights

No top end fowards

Poor LHD depth

To resume, we have a hardworking team that plays with speed, intensity and pace on most nights, but the talent level just isnt high enough to think this team will be able to contend in the next 2 years, too many holes barely fixable while the farm is completely devoid of talent either, some very good kids will make the jump from junior to start their Pro carreer, but to think they will be ready to make the Habs and have a positive impact right off the bat is too much asked, they will probably all need to spend at least a full year in Laval unless you want to see them rushed like Juulsen, Mete and Kotkaniemi have been...

I think at this point, it would be smarter to trade some players to keep adding the high picks instead of trying to patch the holes by signing overrated players from FA or trading youth to improve the team short term... When I think of trading players, Im first thinking about Weber who clearly is on the decline (unless he still is playing injured), get whatever you can to get to rid of that contract or eat a part of the contract to get the highest pick possible... Trade Drouin for a 1st since he clearly doesnt fit the mold being a soft perimeter player and we just dont have that elite center to make him produce to maximize his potential, would try to get Oilers' first, I think it could be a win win trade for both teams... Im thinking about some vets like Shaw Byron... Im thinking about Price even if it hurts me to picture him in another jersey, I would sit with him and say hey Carey, next 2 years are going to be a mess, are you willing to go through 2-3 other years of darkness wasting some precious prime years of your carreer or you rather wants to be accommodated to a team that can truely contend right now?

The plan? Plain simple, Lafreniere, Lundell Byfield ect ect, tanking solidly for the next 2 years to make sure this team turns the corner for real and becomes a solid contender in 3-4 years from now...

Seriously what was the worst scenario at the start of the season? Exactly what is happening, ending the season just outside of the playoffs with a mid first and second round pick...

I thought Canadiens played quite well this season. Compared to where you guys predicted of them in the offseason and pre-season. You all had them at bottom of league, where Ottawa or Rangers are now. I was the only one who said no, they are a bubble playoff team. Going to finish about 10 games above .500. Over achieved if anything.

Our farm system is strongest it has been in years. Put on an exhibition at the World Junior. On top of that we have the most picks in this upcoming June draft. Our payroll is in excellent shape, we played 8.8 million under the cap and it is projected to go way up this year. We are in position to make a major splash in free agency.

We are not trading Price. Those contracts are difficult to move, only so many teams can absorb 10.5 million a year. On top of that he has full NMC. It is a trade too difficult to make. Go ask fans of other teams. About 90% of them don't want Price because he is not a money goalie. They know he is a choker. Only bias Habs fans who don't want to admit it. Most teams know it by now and don't want him. He is a Canadien long term future. Nothing we can do about it.

Weber is definitely playing injured. He was a horse from November to Februray, since has fallen by wayside. Has to be. When he injured his foot at start of '17-18 season nobody knew about it until well after.

We are not rebuilding! We are build around Price and Weber. They are 31 and 33, Price is unmovable and Weber we won't get much for due to his play of late.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Price still covering over alot of issues. Frustrating...the bar has been set so low, a couple of monkeys will tell everyone, it was a huge success this season.........the two that host the seasons end PC.

Rinse, Repeat, extension incoming for the great MB.

Jul 6, 2016
The season went the way I was expecting. Strong start and a so-so (possibly atrocious) ending. Too many small players. Not enough talent. Overall bad d-corp and totally absent PP.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
They over acheived this year

but hit the 60 game mark

and 5,10’’ average is not going to cut it.....

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I was definitely not expecting what this team provided us with this season which was for the most part very entertaining hockey. The lack of talent has caught up to us especially on the pp and the team is in real danger of finishing 9th which for me would be a wasted season.

Reactions: BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm very encouraged with what I see.

To think where the prospect pool was at this point last year to where it is now. It's a really quick turnaround.

Management was consistent in focusing on the future with their significant transactions. They didn't bite on getting a rental, although I'm sure it was tempting based on the standing the team was in.

It's a year where a shinking ship at least turned around and started heading back in the right direction. More work to do.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs are a much better team with Weber(Capt.) & healthy, great leader, with a great core group!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:The team has a great work ethic, having so many proud, pàssionate, players with professional attitudes. Dreams of Stanley Cup Championships are now based in possibilities, this team's desires are the same as lifelong Habs fans. Ones that have witnessed the dynasty teams, recognize the overall efforts of the present players and evoke all those great memories. Their work has not gone unnoticed by the Habs faithful, believe that my Habs!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:Price taking the #1 overall wins by a goalie, should be recognized as the beginning of our next dynasty team IMHO. Go Habs Go!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

Reactions: beh3moth

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
A team that nobody thought would make the playoffs. They played much better than expected. So playoffs or not I like their progression. I just want them to fight until the end and take it from there. Make the playoffs? Cool, playoff hockey. Don't make the playoffs? Ok who could they draft at 15th position?
Good post. I doubt they make the playoffs but are on right path.

Keep it going with another good draft, add a key prospect and a couple of decent ones. Sign a free agent, Duchene type, trade a Drouin for a Nurse. Gives depth at center, fixes LD problem. At next trade deadline 2020, trade a Tatar, Petry, maybe a Shaw for a couple of extra first round picks. By then a Suzuki, Brook be ready. Also creates some extra caproom. That is clearing 12 million in cap, which usually goes up, so we have 15 million to spend in free agency 2020. Gives us 3 first in 2020 draft and enough to add a key free agency

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The Montreal "Cheap Tent" Canadiens.

A little pressure, and they'll fold.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Going into the season, nobody expected anything. The lineup looked like patch work, a few fringe NHLers signed by MB and a lot of questionable moves. Nobody knew where Domi and Drouin would play. The D looked horrendous with Weber out. Pleks was back. Many fans just wanted them to forfeit the season. There was simply no plan by the organization. There were no centers. Then came KK and changed things. Julien did wonders with a bunch of young kids and underachievers.

The 2018-2019 Habs, a team with heart and desire to win that just crumbled under pressure for the final run or that just didn't have anything else in the tank to make it through. We can say they tried to be like Vegas last year but talent wise, the Habs didn't have that.

Positives for next year: Domi, Shaw, Petry, Gallagher, Danault and Tatar had great seasons. KK can play in the NHL and will only get better. Armia showed good flashes.

Negatives: horrendous PP, horrendous left D, Lekhonen's regression, aging Weber, another first round bust (Scherbak) and enigmatic Drouin.

Tweaking the left D and fixing the powerplay will surely make this team a contender if they can maintain the intensity next year.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Thye did what was expected .

Price takes any team out of lottery position so that was out of the question. But no one expected them to make the play off either.

Pretty well landed right where they should. No play offs. No high draft pick coming.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Even as awful as it might be to finish 9th, I watched way more habs games this season than last. The style of play was fun to watch for a while at least.
Agree with you . But yesterday i stopped to watch the game after the 4 th Habs PP . Too much frustrations; I think that i can't support it anymore :doh::facepalm::damnpc:

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Go on other boards and try and trade Price then. If you like laughs. Because they will laugh you off the board.
The laugh was to afirm that Price was a choker, what he isnt, obviously, trading a goaltender that makes 10,5M\yr will be hard to move as good as he can be, but with retained salary, its still possible...

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I thought Canadiens played quite well this season. Compared to where you guys predicted of them in the offseason and pre-season. You all had them at bottom of league, where Ottawa or Rangers are now. I was the only one who said no, they are a bubble playoff team. Going to finish about 10 games above .500. Over achieved if anything.

Our farm system is strongest it has been in years. Put on an exhibition at the World Junior. On top of that we have the most picks in this upcoming June draft. Our payroll is in excellent shape, we played 8.8 million under the cap and it is projected to go way up this year. We are in position to make a major splash in free agency.

We are not trading Price. Those contracts are difficult to move, only so many teams can absorb 10.5 million a year. On top of that he has full NMC. It is a trade too difficult to make. Go ask fans of other teams. About 90% of them don't want Price because he is not a money goalie. They know he is a choker. Only bias Habs fans who don't want to admit it. Most teams know it by now and don't want him. He is a Canadien long term future. Nothing we can do about it.

Weber is definitely playing injured. He was a horse from November to Februray, since has fallen by wayside. Has to be. When he injured his foot at start of '17-18 season nobody knew about it until well after.

We are not rebuilding! We are build around Price and Weber. They are 31 and 33, Price is unmovable and Weber we won't get much for due to his play of late.

You were the only one who said they would be a bubble playoff team. :laugh: Most of this fanbase knew that’s exactly what they’d be. The fear was they wouldn’t rebuild and Bergevin would create a fringe team. The only thing people didn’t predict was us keeping our draft picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad