Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Worst PP in the league

Drouin still a soft perimeter player

Poor center depth despite Domi doing well

Kotkaniemi will be good but will need to add some serious strength

Weber clearly on the decline unless he is playing with a groin or something like that

Price distorting the datas once again this year saving this team ass every nights

No top end fowards

Poor LHD depth

To resume, we have a hardworking team that plays with speed, intensity and pace on most nights, but the talent level just isnt high enough to think this team will be able to contend in the next 2 years, too many holes barely fixable while the farm is completely devoid of talent either, some very good kids will make the jump from junior to start their Pro carreer, but to think they will be ready to make the Habs and have a positive impact right off the bat is too much asked, they will probably all need to spend at least a full year in Laval unless you want to see them rushed like Juulsen, Mete and Kotkaniemi have been...

I think at this point, it would be smarter to trade some players to keep adding the high picks instead of trying to patch the holes by signing overrated players from FA or trading youth to improve the team short term... When I think of trading players, Im first thinking about Weber who clearly is on the decline (unless he still is playing injured), get whatever you can to get to rid of that contract or eat a part of the contract to get the highest pick possible... Trade Drouin for a 1st since he clearly doesnt fit the mold being a soft perimeter player and we just dont have that elite center to make him produce to maximize his potential, would try to get Oilers' first, I think it could be a win win trade for both teams... Im thinking about some vets like Shaw Byron... Im thinking about Price even if it hurts me to picture him in another jersey, I would sit with him and say hey Carey, next 2 years are going to be a mess, are you willing to go through 2-3 other years of darkness wasting some precious prime years of your carreer or you rather wants to be accommodated to a team that can truely contend right now?

The plan? Plain simple, Lafreniere, Lundell Byfield ect ect, tanking solidly for the next 2 years to make sure this team turns the corner for real and becomes a solid contender in 3-4 years from now...

Seriously what was the worst scenario at the start of the season? Exactly what is happening, ending the season just outside of the playoffs with a mid first and second round pick...

Last edited:
Reactions: Rapala and Tyson

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The fact that our defense minus Weber and Petry are all waiver claims or guys we traded low picks for speaks for itself. Next year Subban will probably still be a #1 D and I'm not sure I can say the same about Weber. Plus Subban's contract will end in three years, we're stuck with aging Weber for another 8.

It's not surprising in the first year Weber's money halved his play is starting to as well.

Reactions: Tyson

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
The fact that our defense minus Weber and Petry are all waiver claims or guys we traded low picks for speaks for itself. Next year Subban will probably still be a #1 D and I'm not sure I can say the same about Weber. Plus Subban's contract will end in three years, we're stuck with aging Weber for another 8.

It's not surprising in the first year Weber's money halved his play is starting to as well.

Weber isn't staying for 8 seasons...he's got 7 left and is paid 1 mil in his last 3. I say we've got 4 years with him.

I am unsure Subban will return to the Norris caliber d-man either. Who knows though. He's not a #1D this year.

Reactions: Harry Kakalovich

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Seriously what was the worst scenario at the start of the season? Exactly what is happening, ending the season just outside of the playoffs with a mid first and second round pick...

The optimist in me is happy that we got Domi for Galcheyuk, Tatar and Suzuki and a 2nd for Pacioretty. I think the success these guys have had show more promise than jumping 16th overall to 11th overall IMO.

Obviously, I would've liked both but that would've required Domi and Tatar to be duds which doesn't help us at all.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Seriously, you tank or not, status quo isnt the solution, Habs badly need game breakers and you wont get them drafting mid first unless you are extremmely lucky... Next 2 years are ideal to tank, lets DO IT Bergy!!! The fans are ready for this!!

Suzuki Poehling Brook Ylonen Romanov ect are all very good prospects but how many real game breakers in the bunch? Probably none...

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Seriously, you tank or not, status quo isnt the solution, Habs badly need game breakers and you wont get them drafting mid first unless you are extremmely lucky... Next 2 years are ideal to tank, lets DO IT Bergy!!! The fans are ready for this!!

Suzuki Poehling Brook Ylonen Romanov ect are all good very prospects but how many real game breakers in the bunch? Probably none...
Yup... realistically we've got a lot of good/very-good prospects, but no game-changers. Which is why the job isn't finished. This season will be a big step forward provided Bergevin is laying a foundation and not home-staging for a quick sell.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
Like out last 7 season. Since bergevin is here, we are starting very strongg and finish like the worst club. Bergevin need to go. It could be pretentious to ssay that, but bergevin doesnt have the IQ level, for this job. Too much often lateral move, when he acquired weber. Ok fine, but he didnt nothing for improve this team after that move during a smaller window. He follow a plan base on draft who failed during 7 years. Yeah, it was a good trade paciorrety vs tatar,suzuki. But everybody know that mcphee is ready to give assett for old player.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Weber isn't staying for 8 seasons...he's got 7 left and is paid 1 mil in his last 3. I say we've got 4 years with him.

I am unsure Subban will return to the Norris caliber d-man either. Who knows though. He's not a #1D this year.
In two years Subban has value as a rental. Weber we can never recoup assets.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
We’re exactly where most people thought and feared we’d be. On the bubble on the outside looking in. Even though it’s not surprising, it’s still disappointing. You think after watching our sisters in Toronto suffering for so long, we’d try avoiding being a clone of them. The Molson’s should’ve been banned from having any stake in the team after their first stint.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Pleasantly surprised and it will mark the beginning of a turnaround.

That being said, MB should still be fired.

That about sums things up.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Pleasantly surprised and it will mark the beginning of a turnaround.

That being said, MB should still be fired.

That about sums things up.
A turnaround? How many times did we say that in the past 15 years? Sure future looks nice in the sense that our team is pretty young and we have some very good prospects, but where are the game breaker type of players that will propel us to the contender status? Just take a look at Tampa, they have Hedman Stamkos Kucherov Point, Vasilievski, 5 star players carriying the team, where are ours? Carey Price and... maybe Kotkaniemi, thats all... Just not enough.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
A turnaround? How many times did we say that in the past 15 years? Sure future looks nice in the sense that our team is pretty young and we have some very good prospects, but where are the game breaker type of players that will propel us to the contender status? Just take a look at Tampa, they have Hedman Stamkos Kucherov Point, Vasilievski, 5 star players carriying the team, where are ours? Carey Price and... maybe Kotkaniemi, thats all... Just not enough.
KK, Domi and Dannaut look like our future 3 centers. That's something I haven't seen in forever. KK looks like a legit first liner and Domi can hold the fort until he gets there. That's something to be very, very happy about.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
KK, Domi and Dannaut look like our future 3 centers. That's something I haven't seen in forever. KK looks like a legit first liner and Domi can hold the fort until he gets there. That's something to be very, very happy about.
Danault is likely gone at the end of his contract replaced by Poehling... KK Domi Poehling looks like a good enough center line, but not great, ideally, we get another top 6 center and move Domi back to wing... Drafting a kid like Lundell or Laf would pretty much ensure this team to contend for the next 10 years, thats why tanking is so important at this point, its not like the Habs have any chance to contend in the next 2 years anyway so why not get rid of the deadwood now instead of going with the status quo and miss on the chance to add 1 or 2 game breaker type of prospects?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Danault is likely gone at the end of his contract replaced by Poehling... KK Domi Poehling looks like a good enough center line, but not great, ideally, we get another top 6 center and move Domi back to wing... Drafting a kid like Lundell or Laf would pretty much ensure this team to contend for the next 10 years, thats why tanking is so important at this point, its not like the Habs have any chance to contend in the next 2 years anyway so why not get rid of the deadwood now instead of going with the status quo and miss on the chance to add 1 or 2 game breaker type of prospects?
I think the ship has sailed on tanking.

We could deal off guys like Shaw for picks/prospects but I don't see this team going full tank mode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad