Result of Sens trades

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
I’m just curious, which trades in general have the Sens ended up winning and loosing? Obviously not asking for every one but just ones that stick out mainly. I’m too young to remember most lol.

Cheers!

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
The biggest win, and arguably the most lopsided deal in the NHL's modern history, was Yashin to the Islanders for Chara, Bill Muckalt and the draft pick that became Jason Spezza.

Reactions: Taluss

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Definitive wins:
Trade for Turris
Lehner trade.
Anderson trade

Definitive losses:
Heatley trade
Havlat trade
Burrows trade

Spezza deal doesn't look so bad now that spezz kinda sucks.

Reactions: BigRig4 and Taluss

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Definitive wins:
Trade for Turris
Lehner trade.
Anderson trade

Definitive losses:
Heatley trade
Havlat trade
Burrows trade

Spezza has a good start this season though. That trade sucked more (because the 4 assets gained didn't pay much dividend and doesn't look like it will) than the Heatley trade where we actually got the better end of the deal in the end. Michalek was younger, cheaper, stronger, faster, much better defensively and remained effective much longer. Heatley became a major cap constraint 2 years later. It took a bit longer for Spezza to become a cap problem, and he had less term left than Heatley for less CH%.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
The Turris trade looks Ok but we'd have been way further ahead if we'd taken Vladimir Tarasenko with the pick we traded to St. Louis for David Rundblad. Tarasenko is much better than Turris and we would also have retained the second round pick we shipped to Dallas.

Reactions: DrEasy

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
The Turris trade looks Ok but we'd have been way further ahead if we'd taken Vladimir Tarasenko with the pick we traded to St. Louis for David Rundblad. Tarasenko is much better than Turris and we would also have retained the second round pick we shipped to Dallas.

7.5 cap hit he wouldn’t be here anyway right now.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
True, but you're reaching a bit there.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Spezza was a number one centre at the time. That trade was bad.
Yeah I agree. Chia was supposed to be better, but it was definitely an underpayment for him at the time. Same reason I think the Heatley deal was bad.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Definitive wins:
Trade for Turris
Lehner trade.
Anderson trade

Definitive losses:
Heatley trade
Havlat trade
Burrows trade

Lol.

He has 209 points in 312 games and has 13 points in 13 playoff games. But you are right Chiasson has a Stanley Cup.

image.jpg

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
What I'm interested in is how often this organization has timed a trade properly - in terms of divesting of assets so as to maximize returns before the value of the original asset diminishes.

Rundblad for Turris is a good example, as is the Yashin deal. Both were dealt at the correct time.

I made a 'trade Karlsson at the 2017 draft' thread assuming his value would never be higher, and that there were signs he wouldn't be with Ottawa at the completion of his contract.

Turns out the trade happened, but too late. His limited NTC kicked in and he had a subsequent down year, which wrecked the market for him. An example of waiting too long, one could say. Same with Spezza.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I feel like evaluating a trade only when picks have developped 5 years down the line is somewhat flawed in the sense that the player you trade has a certain value at that point in time and the return you receive also has a value at the time of the trade.

For example if we look at when we traded Kovalev for what ended up being Ryan Dzingel you can say in the end it was an amazing deal but in reality we received only a 7th rounder for Kovalev. The trade wasn't good but the pick we made was great. (I know Kovalev had no value back then just an example)

Another example would be the Lehner trade. Had Lehner turned out to be a true #1 guy and White ended up not making the NHL we would call it a bad trade. In reality no matter how the pick panned out it was an amazing deal because we received a 1rst rounder for a cap dump and a disgruntled goalie that just wasn't that good.

Just a thought.. The Spezza deal was clearly a very bad trade from the get go even though Spezza ended up not being that impactful in Dallas.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
What I'm interested in is how often this organization has timed a trade properly - in terms of divesting of assets so as to maximize returns before the value of the original asset diminishes.

Rundblad for Turris is a good example, as is the Yashin deal. Both were dealt at the correct time.

I made a 'trade Karlsson at the 2017 draft' thread assuming his value would never be higher, and that there were signs he wouldn't be with Ottawa at the completion of his contract.

Turns out the trade happened, but too late. His limited NTC kicked in and he had a subsequent down year, which wrecked the market for him. An example of waiting too long, one could say. Same with Spezza.

Are you forgetting his injury, and subsequent surgery in the off season?
Trading for EK at the 2017 draft would have been a huge gamble.

EK had to come back from the injury, and play (last season) to show the team, and the other teams, that he was recovered from the injury.

He's not exactly 100% back, from where he was prior to the injury, but trading for him at the draft in 2017 would have been a high risk move.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
- Most of our rental acquisitions didn't pan out: Barrasso, Bondra, Arnason, etc. come to mind. Comrie, Cullen did work out.
- The trade to acquire Rundblad was bad. The trade to get rid of him was good.
- The trade to acquire Brassard was bad. The trade to get rid of him was good.
- Most of Marshall Jonhston's trades were great. Most of Dorion's trade <auto-complete here>.

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Are you forgetting his injury, and subsequent surgery in the off season?
Trading for EK at the 2017 draft would have been a huge gamble.

EK had to come back from the injury, and play (last season) to show the team, and the other teams, that he was recovered from the injury.

He's not exactly 100% back, from where he was prior to the injury, but trading for him at the draft in 2017 would have been a high risk move.
For sure it would have been high risk. I still stand by it having been the optimal time for Ottawa to explore their options.

Spezza is another example in that after the 2012 bounce back season he had, all sorts if teams would have had interest. He finished fourth in league scoring and was healthy and under contract. He had a NMC and a modified NTC, but hey, he did when we traded him at a lower price too.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
For sure it would have been high risk. I still stand by it having been the optimal time for Ottawa to explore their options.

Spezza is another example in that after the 2012 bounce back season he had, all sorts if teams would have had interest. He finished fourth in league scoring and was healthy and under contract. He had a NMC and a modified NTC, but hey, he did when we traded him at a lower price too.

Hey, maybe they did "listen to offers" at the draft, or in the summer of 2017, but we'll never know if anything was serious enough. Plus there might be some rules about trading an injured player/recovering from surgery and the requirement for clearing a physical, that EK would not have been able to do at that time .......... so perhaps waiting until he could play again, was the best choice for both the Senators and any team seriously interested in him.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
- Most of our rental acquisitions didn't pan out: Barrasso, Bondra, Arnason, etc. come to mind. Comrie, Cullen did work out.
- The trade to acquire Rundblad was bad. The trade to get rid of him was good.
- The trade to acquire Brassard was bad. The trade to get rid of him was good.
- Most of Marshall Jonhston's trades were great. Most of Dorion's trade <auto-complete here>.

Opps, yes, I saw Brassard, instead of Barrasso.

Last edited:
Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Derek Brassard was not a "rental acquisition" ........ he was acquired in July of 2016, and still had 3 full seasons left on his contract, that he is still playing under, and becomes an UFA next July.

I don't know what your definition of a "rental acquisition" is, but it sure should not include Derek Brassard.
I think those are separate bullet points. I don't think anyone would consider Rundblad to be a rental either.

That said, @DrEasy, how dare you make me read the name Arnason with my own two eyes. I'd mercifully forgotten he existed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad