Result of Sens trades

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
At this point, yes "Too soon to call" but after 11 games, zero goals, eleven assists and among NHL D Men, a minus 6 ( only seven worse) ..... and keeping in mind that this was a "rental trade" I have to say it's a Win for Ottawa .......

It's not a win.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
losing karlsson isn't a win lmao

our team is avg at best

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
+/0 doesn't matter so throw that out the window.
PPG defenseman thus far.
The SJ Team Stats seem to look pretty damn good so far minus their goaltending

How is this a win for Ottawa exactly? Not a good return even for a rental.

At this point of the season, looking at the very little difference EK has had on the Sharks roster, so far ........Ottawa has two Roster Players acquired in the trade, with more points, and are still under contract for next season, two prospects, a first round pick in either 2019 or 2020 and 2nd round pick in 2019.

San Jose has EK until the TDL, unless they decide to keep him and let him become an UFA.

Yes, they could sign him to an extension .... but I does not look like it's going to happen any time soon, and the closer he gets to Free Agency, the more likley he opts for becoming an UFA.

There are also two conditional picks involved, but I'm not taking those into account.

So as of today, imo, I'm giving the win to Ottawa, full well knowing that the EK of years past could come to life and tip the balance the other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

our team is avg at best

Ottawa has embarked on a re-build ...... so Average is better than most of the doom and gloomers around here were saying.

Remember, just looking at where the Sens are today, and how little of a difference EK is making in SJ, so far.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Out of all Anaheim skaters, silfverberg is on top.
Out of all nyr skaters, zibanejad is on top.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
At this point of the season, looking at the very little difference EK has had on the Sharks roster, so far ........Ottawa has two Roster Players acquired in the trade, with more points, and are still under contract for next season, two prospects, a first round pick in either 2019 or 2020 and 2nd round pick in 2019.

San Jose has EK until the TDL, unless they decide to keep him and let him become an UFA.

Yes, they could sign him to an extension .... but I does not look like it's going to happen any time soon, and the closer he gets to Free Agency, the more likley he opts for becoming an UFA.

There are also two conditional picks involved, but I'm not taking those into account.

So as of today, imo, I'm giving the win to Ottawa, full well knowing that the EK of years past could come to life and tip the balance the other way.

You can give the win to Ottawa all you want. We didn’t win anything.

Uh oh does this mean we go to HFboards polls?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ottawa has embarked on a re-build ...... so Average is better than most of the doom and gloomers around here were saying.

Remember, just looking at where the Sens are today, and how little of a difference EK is making in SJ, so far.
Have they though? they did trade Hoffman for Boedker instead of futures

also its super early to see where karlsson is at. he is a slow starter and is on a new team. I suspect in a few months karl will be going full force

Reactions: lancepitlick

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You can give the win to Ottawa all you want. We didn’t win anything.

Uh oh does this mean we go to HFboards polls?

If Ottawa founders, and EK picks things up, I can change my opinion ....... but as of not, on the small sample size, I'm giving Ottawa the edge.

No need to get your knickers in a knot, I have an opinion, as you have yours.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
Definitive wins:
Trade for Turris
Lehner trade.
Anderson trade

Definitive losses:
Heatley trade
Havlat trade
Burrows trade

Spezza deal doesn't look so bad now that spezz kinda sucks.
I believe both Heatley trades were bad. And as mentioned, Bishop out for what's-his-name was terrible.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
At this point, yes "Too soon to call" but after 11 games, zero goals, eleven assists and among NHL D Men, a minus 6 ( only seven worse) ..... and keeping in mind that this was a "rental trade" I have to say it's a Win for Ottawa .......

This being, arguably, the single most destructive thing the team has done to their relationship with the fans, cannot, shall not, and should not, ever be considered a win for this organization.

And are you seriously going to use +/- after 11 games to justify calling a trade a win? C'mon man. That's bush league. Be better than that.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This being, arguably, the single most destructive thing the team has done to their relationship with the fans, cannot, shall not, and should not, ever be considered a win for this organization.

And are you seriously going to use +/- after 11 games to justify calling a trade a win? C'mon man. That's bush league. Be better than that.
You hit the nail on the head, as per usual. Even if Tierney, Balcers, Demelo, Norris and the pick all end up balling out and Karlsson is forced to retire after this season, the damage the trade did to the fanbase will always be enough to categorize this trade as a loss.

(Yes, that's hyperbole. No, there's no need to try and dissect this post and turn it into something it isn't, Tnuoc et al.)

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

our team is avg at best
Ottawa was one of the worse teams in the league last yr with EK here all yr so average this yr is better than terrible the yr before & they are much more fun to watch this yr. That is not to say that it is all EK's fault either, I blame the coach for the style of play last yr & we have had some pretty bad yrs in the past with EK in the lineup too.

I don't see trading EK as the worse thing this franchise has ever done but what was needed to be done as another step in rebuilding this roster & moving this team forward. Having everything go through EK was stagnating the offence & frustrating everyone last yr, it was time for a change. Having watched hockey for some time the one thing that is constant is that there inevitably will be changes eventually with every team especially after a poor season. Yea the owner is a dickhead but the team sucked & we all knew changes were coming & eventually the best players & fan favourites either retire or move on. The incident in the summer may have accelerated that trade as well but it was time to go in a different direction IMO. And given the circumstances I thought they got a decent return from that trade although it may not have looked like that at the time. And so far anyway, a trade has finally worked out in Ottawa's favour & that should be worth celebrating at the least. :thumbu:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
In terms of trades where the impact of the players was high(or it involved high profile players) and with the benefit of hindsight:

(I'd also like to stress that this is all IMO)

Win:
Redden trade
McEachern trade(to acquire)
Yashin trade
Heatley trade(from Atlanta)
2008 draft 1st round trade (EK pick assuming he wouldn't be available at pick 18)
Anderson trade
Turris trade
Bishop trade
Lehner trade
Lazar trade

Too soon to call but currently a win:
Gustavsson trade

Loss:
Brooks Laich trade
Havlat trade
Vermette trade
Heatley trade(to SJ, in terms of value for the player he was)
Rundblad trade(considering who was on the board)
Conacher trade
Ryan trade
Spezza trade
Brassard trade
Burrows trade
Duchene trade

Too soon to call but currently a loss:
Hoffman trade
Karlsson trade

I'm a bit confused reading that... Some of these evaluations seem to be made in hindsight while others when it happened?

7 assists in 11 games

+/0 doesn't matter so throw that out the window.
PPG defenseman thus far.
The SJ Team Stats seem to look pretty damn good so far minus their goaltending

How is this a win for Ottawa exactly? Not a good return even for a rental.

No the poster made a mistake

I like the return for a 1 year rental, but why was 28 y/o Erik Karlsson traded as a rental?

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
I loved EK but his defense was god awful ever since coming back from the injury. We won that trade as he wasnt coming back and wouldn't have had as much impact as Tierny and Demelo has over the next few years, not to mention the picks and prospects. Balcers looks like he has tons of potential, and Norris too.

We did lose on the Duchene trade however and every other trade made by Dorion except for the Brassard for Gus one.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I loved EK but his defense was god awful ever since coming back from the injury. We won that trade as he wasnt coming back and wouldn't have had as much impact as Tierny and Demelo has over the next few years, not to mention the picks and prospects. Balcers looks like he has tons of potential, and Norris too.

We did lose on the Duchene trade however and every other trade made by Dorion except for the Brassard for Gus one.

Lol it's not that he wasn't coming back. It's that Melnyk didn't want to pay him.

Don't be dumb.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I like the return for a 1 year rental, but why was 28 y/o Erik Karlsson traded as a rental?

Because they could not work out a sign and trade, to a team that EK wanted to go to.

therefore EK is a "rental" ....... unless San Jose signs him to a 7 year extension, before the TDL, or if they don't trade him, an 8 year extension after the TDL.

Right now all signs point to EK becoming an UFA.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Lol it's not that he wasn't coming back. It's that Melnyk didn't want to pay him.

Don't be dumb.

Lol did I strike a nerve? I never said why EK wasnt coming back, just that he wasnt coming back. Dont derail the thread and turn it into a Melnyk bashing ffa, there are already plenty of those.

If you compare 1 year of EK to what we got in return its definitely a win for Ottawa. Many were expecting a bigger return but EK seems to have lost that god like agility that allowed him to lose the puck as last man but catch up to strip it away. A 1 year rental for a guy coming off a major injury and poor season wont give you much more than what we got.

Reactions: aragorn

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
You can't just ignore context when you claim "the EK trade was a win". It was a loss, a big one. One hopefully mitigated by the play of the pieces we received in return, but certainly still a loss no matter how you slice it.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
There was no point in keeping a generational talent and not compete for the Cup. Clearly how this team is constructed, and how the owner is trying to run this organization, we were not going to make any changes that will make us contenders.

Best thing was a trade for both parties involved. Now, the better way to do was to maybe sign and then trade Karlsson and max out the return, or trade him to the team where he was willing to sign an extension to again max out his return.

This could've only happened if the Owner and the GM kept a healthy relationship and an open communication with Karlsson, which they clearly failed to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrEasy

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
You hit the nail on the head, as per usual. Even if Tierney, Balcers, Demelo, Norris and the pick all end up balling out and Karlsson is forced to retire after this season, the damage the trade did to the fanbase will always be enough to categorize this trade as a loss.

(Yes, that's hyperbole. No, there's no need to try and dissect this post and turn it into something it isn't, Tnuoc et al.)

Some people are unable to grasp concepts that deal with human perception, and solely base their opinions on technicals and quantifiable metrics.

It's trash and you're basically a robot at this point if you can't understand this. Well either that or they're trolling or a paid shill.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Lol did I strike a nerve? I never said why EK wasnt coming back, just that he wasnt coming back. Dont derail the thread and turn it into a Melnyk bashing ffa, there are already plenty of those.

If you compare 1 year of EK to what we got in return its definitely a win for Ottawa. Many were expecting a bigger return but EK seems to have lost that god like agility that allowed him to lose the puck as last man but catch up to strip it away. A 1 year rental for a guy coming off a major injury and poor season wont give you much more than what we got.

How did the Ottawa Senators organization win a trade in which they gave away a player who wanted to re-sign?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Trading EK wasnt the issue,it was how the whole thing was done .....Putting money ahead again of team needs put us at huge disadvantage the moment we starting to explore moving him ...Every team knew money was the biggest factor ,and it limited our return greatly

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I believe both Heatley trades were bad. And as mentioned, Bishop out for what's-his-name was terrible.
Heatley 1 was a goodish deal at the time, and Honey Badger came off a monster year the year we traded for him. Both, obviously very bad in retrospect.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
How did the Ottawa Senators organization win a trade in which they gave away a player who wanted to re-sign?

1. Ottawa did not "give" away anyone. We traded a player with 1 year left on his contract for pieces that will help build the future. Ottawa is not going to be a cup contender for years, by that time we are EK will be in his mid-thirties.

2. Its an unknown whether EK really wanted to re-sign with the Sens (under the current owner anyway). And if the Sens could even afford EK at 11 million + bonuses.

Last edited:

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
1. Ottawa did not "give" away anyone. We traded a player with 1 year left on his contract for pieces that will help build the future. Ottawa is not going to be a cup contender for years, by that time we are EK will be in his mid-thirties.

2. Its an unknown whether EK really wanted to re-sign with the Sens (under the current owner anyway). And if the Sens could even afford EK at 11 million + bonuses.

Uhhhhh

Karlsson + Chabot + Stone + Duchene plus all the young players coming up. We would have easily been a competitive team.

Anyway, get off Melnyks and Dorions *****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad