OT: Restaurant thread

KCjetsfan

Jul 14, 2012
Gardner KS
True, but they're "safe". Comfortable like an old shoe. And my wife is not the most adventurous when it comes to food.

Many, many years ago I worked at an R&D company at the U of M. We had engineers from all over the planet, one a particularly petulant Frenchman that another engineer referred to as L'Enfant Terrible. Every week we would head out someplace for lunch, and the Frenchman only ever wanted to go to a chain restaurant called Mr Steak. Some of you may recall it. When he was overruled and we went someplace else, he would often not enjoy his meal and the lunch would end with the same proclamation without fail, "That's it, next week Mr Steak for sure".

So, always in the back of my mind when I think about trying something off the beaten path, is a picture of my beloved sitting across from me picking at her food and thinking, "That's it, next week Boston Pizza for sure". :laugh:
I did NOT like Mr steak at all.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Too many faves to list right now but I'll start with these...
  1. Italian: Santa Ana (my favourite restaurant of any kind in the city)
  2. Chinese: Hung's
  3. Steak: The Keg on Garry (yes, this Keg location is better than the others)
  4. Greeks burgers: VJ's... or George's in a pinch
  5. Non-Greeks burgers: Five Guys

Okay, that's enough for now... I'm hungry! :laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Favourite? Impossible. Here’s a list, to start with, in no particular order.
TH Dhang
Calabria ( best subs)
Viva
Vera’s
VJ’s
King and Bannatyne
Shawarma time
Best Donair
Brazen Hall
OGC
Rae & Jerry’s
Layla’s
India Palace
Sultan Shawarma
Kum Koon
Little Korea
Luda’s
Passero

Ok, time to eat.

Reactions: jefferoni

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
TH Dhang
Calabria ( best subs)
Viva
Vera’s
VJ’s
King and Bannatyne
Shawarma time
Best Donair
Brazen Hall
OGC
Rae & Jerry’s
Layla’s
India Palace
Sultan Shawarma
Kum Koon
Little Korea
Luda’s
Passero

Ok, time to eat.

Luda's is very good. I'm going to have to give some of the other ones on your list a try.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Sad story... both the Father (John in 2007) and Son (Peter in 2017) died while vacationing.
Red Top was a regular haunt of mine throughout University. Double cheeseburger, extra mustard, extra pickles, fries and Chili. One quibble I always had with the Top was a poor burger to bun ratio, wasn’t enough to stop going but damn that bun was too big.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Red Top was a regular haunt of mine throughout University. Double cheeseburger, extra mustard, extra pickles, fries and Chili. One quibble I always had with the Top was a poor burger to bun ratio, wasn’t enough to stop going but damn that bun was too big.
Another good place for eats that doesn’t get enough love

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I love all the places that make our Dining scene unique!
Deer and Almond, Segovia, Enoteca, Maque, Smith, Fusion, Bonfire Bistro, Inferno bistro, king and Bannatyne, Clementines, peasant cookery, Cibo, Cafe Dario, oxbow, Cafe Carlo, Passero, chaise, sous sol, pizzeria gusto, little goat, Marion street eatery.
There are many more but all those places are just a great start, should give you a few years worth of restaurants! I can rarely get to a place a second time because there are so many gems. Our dining scene is stellar!

Last edited:

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Two very respectable lists, two very different styles.

TH Dhang
Calabria ( best subs)
Viva
Vera’s
VJ’s
King and Bannatyne
Shawarma time
Best Donair
Brazen Hall
OGC
Rae & Jerry’s
Layla’s
India Palace
Sultan Shawarma
Kum Koon
Little Korea
Luda’s
Passero

Ok, time to eat.

Deer and Almond, Segovia, Enoteca, Maque, Smith, Fusion, Bonfire Bistro, Inferno bistro, king and Bannatyne, Clementines, peasant cookery, Cibo, Cafe Dario, oxbow, Cafe Carlo, Passero, chaise, sous sol, pizzeria gusto, little goat, Marion street eatery.
There are many more but all those places are just a great start, should give you a few years worth of restaurants! I can rarely get to a place a second time because there are so many gems. Our dining scene is stellar!

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Fantastic list, agree with all of them! Winnipeg really is spoiled for great restaurants, seemingly always something new to try.
Cibo is one of the best settings in this city. Just a fantastic reclamation project of a great part of the architectural history in town. I used to love Peg as well, for the food, beer and just overall setting. Haven’t tried it as Nonsuch yet, have you?

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad