Rest In Peace, The Tikkanen

Status
Not open for further replies.

He pukes you die

Jun 9, 2020
Hi everyone, I don't post a ton here but I lurk from time to time. I used to post under "Beauty, Eh?" way back when. I met Jeff (The Tikkanen) going back to 2002 or so and we became good friends. Unfortunately, Jeff was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer (Giloblastoma, the same cancer John McCain had) in early 2019. After a very courageous battle and giving it everything he had, Jeff passed away on Saturday evening.

He was easily the funniest person I have ever met in my life and I am going to miss him a lot. Some of the stuff that guy would come up with made me laugh extremely hard - he was exceptionally quick-witted with the dryest sense of humor you had ever seen (and a dry sense of humor is the best type of humor, IMHO).

I am not sure how many people here knew him but I felt it was a good idea to inform you all since many of you interacted with him often on this board and some of the other ones as well.

Take care, and F*CK CANCER.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Damn.

I rented a room from him for a year and played hockey with him several times. He played exactly how you’d think he would. Chippy as hell and talking shit the entire time. He had a quiet exterior, dark sense of humor with a razor sharp wit. I liked him right away. He was a great guy and he will be missed.

The Gabe Blade

Jul 9, 2004
Damn.

I rented a room from him for a year and played hockey with him several times. He played exactly how you’d think he would. Chippy as hell and talking shit the entire time. He had a quiet exterior, dark sense of humor with a razor sharp wit. I liked him right away. He was a great guy and he will be missed.

His house was a halfway home for us misfits.

He pukes you die

Jun 9, 2020
Jeff was a super good guy. I rented a room from him in my younger days and played hockey with him too. He was super competitive and a total dick to play against......come to think of it, he was a dick to play with too. :)

This is super shitty to hear.

Yeah... he definitely was not fun to play against, once this COVID shit is over with let's get together for some beers and stories - Roger and Shawn can come too. Hope you and the family are doing well, bud.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I’m so sorry to hear this. I met Jeff a few times, and anyone who’s ever interacted with him can vouch for his sense of humor and hilarious quips.

Tikk was around as far back as I can remember in the archaic age of chatting hockey online, and I think I speak for everyone in saying that he will be dearly missed by us all. I’m going to miss his banter.

Would be a nice gesture on here to dedicate something on these boards in his name. Rename The Lounge to The Tikkanen, or hand out The Tikkanen for the post of the day.

RIP Tikkanen. You’ll be dearly missed.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I’m so sorry to hear this. I met Jeff a few times, and anyone who’s ever interacted with him can vouch for his sense of humor and hilarious quips.

Tikk was around as far back as I can remember in the archaic age of chatting hockey online, and I think I speak for everyone in saying that he will be dearly missed by us all. I’m going to miss his banter.

Would be a nice gesture on here to dedicate something on these boards in his name. Rename The Lounge to The Tikkanen, or hand out The Tikkanen for the post of the day.

RIP Tikkanen. You’ll be dearly missed.
Seconded

Reactions: He pukes you die

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Hi everyone, I don't post a ton here but I lurk from time to time. I used to post under "Beauty, Eh?" way back when. I met Jeff (The Tikkanen) going back to 2002 or so and we became good friends. Unfortunately, Jeff was diagnosed with stage 4 brain cancer (Giloblastoma, the same cancer John McCain had) in early 2019. After a very courageous battle and giving it everything he had, Jeff passed away on Saturday evening.

He was easily the funniest person I have ever met in my life and I am going to miss him a lot. Some of the stuff that guy would come up with made me laugh extremely hard - he was exceptionally quick-witted with the dryest sense of humor you had ever seen (and a dry sense of humor is the best type of humor, IMHO).

I am not sure how many people here knew him but I felt it was a good idea to inform you all since many of you interacted with him often on this board and some of the other ones as well.

Take care, and F*CK CANCER.

Super bummed to hear this....as you mentioned he had a very dry sense of humor so the dead pan delivery of his jokes made a funny quip hysterical. Some of my funniest hockey stories had him as a central player. I lost touch with him over the years but can regale a couple of stories....

In the locker room before a game, and this was early 2000s a couple of players on the team were metal heads. So they brought up the topic of the Great White fire that killed a couple of people and the metal heads were talking about what a horrible tragedy it was and the rest of the room kind of quiet listening to their conversation in semi reverence given the topic.. As their conversation winded down Jeff looked over at them and said "thats what they get for liking Great White."

Another story I wont forget was having drinks at the Anaheim bar after a roller game and as the waitress came to the table she spilled someones mixed drink, basically sending half of it to the ground. We laughed because she still put the drink on the table, now half empty and made no mention she would get another one nor apologizing. She looked at Jeff and asked what he wanted to drink and he said "anything that has a lid."

Really sorry to hear this....he was a total legend.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
So sad to hear. He posted solid takes and hilarious jokes for what seems like forever on the boards, way back when the site was much different than it is today. RIP.

It's such a terrible disease. When this COVID BS is over we need a f***ing warp speed for cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad