Reset the rebuild

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, it seems people are still wondering what is going on... This is pretty simple

The team lost Alfredsson and Gonchar (both are over 40 and Alfie is retired now). They also lost Spezza. All this in less than one year and a half ago...

Isn't a "reset to the rebuild" already or in my words, the second phase of the rebuild?

The team is among the youngest and has the least amount of NHL games and the lowest payroll in the league. Hard to judge a product under those circumstances/facts... They are more at a stage like the teams like Calgary, Colorado, Winnipeg, etc.

You won't know what you have until at least another year or two. Drafting takes times and it started back in 2008 with Karlsson, Wiercioch, Smith and Borowiecki...

Now Look at the 2009 draft : Cowen, Silfverberg, Lehner, Hoffman, Wideman... It is JUST starting to reap the rewards...

It takes time when you build via the draft (mas o menos 5 years) and that's what the Sens can afford : build through the draft. They will make a few trades there and there but they won't take money back in the trades like the richest teams can do. Ottawa is also among the least attractive places for UFAs (taxes, weather, small city, etc) so sometimes you will be lucky with a MacArthur but in other times you get great NHLers like Kovalev, Gonchar and Legwand near the end of their careers.

It takes a lot more time than some of the richest teams but look at Toronto or even Montreal, they had a lot of "darker years" and well the Leafs still do. Just let it be. Or discover what is patience. I dunno

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
This is how the Sens started out in 1992, there is no way a team has to start from scratch again, unless it means poor decisions for the last 7 years.

By the time we start reaping the rewards "as you put it", half of them will be traded away, and we will be at square one again.

Murray's revolving door method is not working.

Well, it seems people are still wondering what is going on... This is pretty simple

The team lost Alfredsson and Gonchar (both are over 40 and Alfie is retired now). They also lost Spezza. All this in less than one year and a half ago...

Isn't a "reset to the rebuild" already or in my words, the second phase of the rebuild?

The team is among the youngest and has the least amount of NHL games and the lowest payroll in the league. Hard to judge a product under those circumstances/facts... They are more at a stage like the teams like Calgary, Colorado, Winnipeg, etc.

You won't know what you have until at least another year or two. Drafting takes times and it started back in 2008 with Karlsson, Wiercioch, Smith and Borowiecki...

Now Look at the 2009 draft : Cowen, Silfverberg, Lehner, Hoffman, Wideman... It is JUST starting to reap the rewards...

It takes time when you build via the draft (mas o menos 5 years) and that's what the Sens can afford : build through the draft. They will make a few trades there and there but they won't take money back in the trades like the richest teams can do. Ottawa is also among the least attractive places for UFAs (taxes, weather, small city, etc) so sometimes you will be lucky with a MacArthur but in other times you get great NHLers like Kovalev, Gonchar and Legwand near the end of their careers.

It takes a lot more time than some of the richest teams but look at Toronto or even Montreal, they had a lot of "darker years" and well the Leafs still do. Just let it be. Or discover what is patience. I dunno

Legend Killer

Nov 15, 2007
Spezza and Alfie left because the organization failed them. End of story.

What rebuild? When we traded our veteran 2nd & 3rd line Centers for pieces that have yet to contribute on this team? Getting rid of Kovalev? Letting Kuba and Gonchar leave?

This team is 2-3 years away from being 2-3 years away from being 2-3 years away...

Keeping guys like Michalek, Neil, Phillips, etc is the exact opposite of a rebuild. Thats called keeping guys who are happy to take pay cheques to be in the league at this point. We kept them because they want to be Ottawa Senators... MEH

Cant wait to see this scorer that Murray is looking to trade for to bolster the roster...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This. We traded Fisher and Kelly and branded it as a rebuild.

To be fair, we traded Heatley two years prior, and traded Kovalev (for a minimal return). IMO, 2009 was accepting that moving Heatley was the peak of a rebuild. We had also recently moved Meszaros for futures and a stop gap.

Calling any one specific point in time a rebuild doesn't work IMO, but from 08 offseason to 2010, we were a very different looking team. Isn't that a rebuild?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

What rebuild? When we traded our veteran 2nd & 3rd line Centers for pieces that have yet to contribute on this team? Getting rid of Kovalev? Letting Kuba and Gonchar leave?

This team is 2-3 years away from being 2-3 years away from being 2-3 years away...

Keeping guys like Michalek, Neil, Phillips, etc is the exact opposite of a rebuild. Thats called keeping guys who are happy to take pay cheques to be in the league at this point. We kept them because they want to be Ottawa Senators... MEH

Cant wait to see this scorer that Murray is looking to trade for to bolster the roster...

In one breath you complain about the return for our most valuable pieces and in the next complain that we should have traded away our least valuable (presumably to get something of value).

We kept those guy because hole in the roster need to be filled. Why move them so you can over pay for a ufa that may not even want to sign here? The best we could get this past off season was legwand, are we any better with three more legwands in place of Neil michalek and Phillips?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is how the Sens started out in 1992, there is no way a team has to start from scratch again, unless it means poor decisions for the last 7 years.

By the time we start reaping the rewards "as you put it", half of them will be traded away, and we will be at square one again.

Whoa....today is nowhere close to 1992.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I have to admit though, 1992 may have been brutal on the scoreboard, but it was an amazing year. No expectations. Just happy to have a team represent Ottawa and have real, honest NHL games being played in the city.

I miss those past "innocent" days. Even though it was just about the worst NHL team in history, I'd love to go back to that naivete.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
The team is still recovering from the horrible drafting during the Muckler era. Murray has had to completely overhaul the roster from scratch without the benefit of any top 5 picks. It's still in progress and "blowing" up the team is not required right now.

A few pieces are needed and they'll be fine.

SQJ

Jan 2, 2015
The team is still recovering from the horrible drafting during the Muckler era. Murray has had to completely overhaul the roster from scratch without the benefit of any top 5 picks. It's still in progress and "blowing" up the team is not required right now.

Murray inherited a Stanley Cup finalist team with possibly the most dominant first line this league has seen since the Legion of Doom. Heater and Spezza were two superstar forwards who Murray managed to lose for basically nothing. It's not like Murray was left with nothing to work with, he just couldn't manage his most valuable pieces properly.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

While I agree that Muckler's drafting was terrible, the Lee over Kopitar is the only pick that was on it own franchise altering.

Sure, with competent drafting, we could have gotten a few Franson, Prust, Hedja type players, but you can't blame him for not finding diamonds like Hjalmarsson, Enstrom, Buffuglian, Edler, or Callahan. The true problem imo is that without the stream of the former type of players in the system, we made ill conceived trades that took away assets and picks, and left nothing for Murray to use as currency to repair the damage.

I guess what I'm saying is it's been long enough that the drafting damage Muckler caused is of minimal concern right now (outside of the Kopitar thing, man I screamed at the tv that draft).

Karlsson2Turris*

The rebuild will be marked complete at the 2015 trade deadline. The Ottawa Senators will have acquired Chris Stewart for a 2015 1st round pick.

enviro61

Sep 12, 2006
Ottawa

This may be post of the year and definitely the bolded is quote of the year...too damn funny but true. I don't blame Murray as much as I do Melnyk as Murray has arguably made some decent moves to offset the bad ones but Melnyk is merely a big black hole of pure suckage.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think our fanbase, without a serious management change, might not buy in to a Rebuild #2 after actually accepting the first one quite willingly. It's unfortunate we had so much immediate success, prompting Murray to make unnecessary roster moves affecting the long-term success of the franchise.

Since Melnyk needs bums in the seats, I think it would be hard to pull off another full rebuild, unlike other more faithful franchises that have the luxury of sucking for extended periods of time without the financial consequences that a bad team would bring.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I have to admit though, 1992 may have been brutal on the scoreboard, but it was an amazing year. No expectations. Just happy to have a team represent Ottawa and have real, honest NHL games being played in the city.

I miss those past "innocent" days. Even though it was just about the worst NHL team in history, I'd love to go back to that naivete.

I always say 1995-1997 was an amazing time. The team was starting to turn the corner and you had legit reason for optimism because you could tell some of the younguns were going to turn into something special.

Only guy on the current roster that gives me that feeling now is Hoffman.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

There's a flagrant difference between building and rebuilding. Seems very obvious but anyway, no the Sens are not starting from scratch because they already had a prospect pool, infrastructures, staff, players, coaches, etc. Rebuilding means change MANY of the things you have... And yes, the Sens have rebuilt if you compare the 2008 roster and the actual one... It was a progressive rebuild, not a **** all rebuild ala Oilers.

Maybe the Sens should be one of the worst teams for a decade so the fans could actually appreciate and respect their team/players a little bit more when they are not that bad or "average". I actually wish it happens, we all need lessons, that's what life is doing all the time.

NOTE : so far which of the guys drafted under Murray have been traded? Silfverberg, Noesen and a first, but that was to acquire the actual best forward... And no, Foligno was not drafted under Murray. You can be concerned about it when it starts but so far, it's not looking like this.

This is irrelevant but I understand if people don't see it... Principal reason : the team is barely over the cap floor

Phillips and Neil are career Senators, it may not mean much on this micro board where you have about 500 posters but this is important for loyalty and belonging to the team for casual fans. They are at the end of fruitful careers with one team and their roles have diminished every year (except when Phillips has to replace an injured Methot...), they have also been kept for their experience and leadership. They make 1.9 and 2.5 which is not even the average NHL salary that includes RFA contracts and ELCs. In the NHL, that's cheap money but I understand that some people on this board might not understand all the strings of a market

Michalek is being paid 4.0, which is a bit above the average salary (around 3.0 nowadays) BUT also below his precedent salary which was based on a 4.3 cap hit. Before that new contract, Michalek has been scoring at a 25 goals pace per 82 games played in a total of 5 seasons... It's actually very good but haters just prefer to not see this fact. One of the best examples of confirmation bias on this board.

I would agree that Michalek is now an average player who should be more paid around 3.0 but it's impossible to have all your players earn their contract. If Michalek plays a good 2-way game and scores about 0.5 PPG, he would be worth it because well, the salary structure in the NHL is evolving quickly and many fans just can't adapt quickly enough to understand. That's a reality on HF and probably even more outside.

Now the counter-argument would be that they could have thrown that money to much better players... but reality unfortunately (since it's not a PlayStation game) is that those much better players have to be available and have the DESIRE to come and play in Ottawa, which is also unfortunately not the case for most players.

So, Ottawa instead of signing all the best players from UFA (which is heavily unrealistic) have to sign average veterans (at this point in time) to average salaries like Neil, Phillips, Legwand, Michalek, to patch holes in the roster (they are now "stop gaps") until the players drafted feel more comfortable in the NHL (and this takes time, particularly for D-men)

In summary, Hockey fans are just delusional in general.

If they want this team to spend to the cap every season, just give some of your own money (a little 15M$) for that exact reason. Melnyk will gladly accept it. :laugh:

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
We never had a rebuild

Geez dude don't be the guy who has to be exactly specific with what people say. Retool is just a small rebuild, so yes we did rebuild. Whenever you trade several key players, you're rebuilding.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

I loved those old days too, but the improvement over the following years was even nicer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The rebuild will be marked complete at the 2015 trade deadline. The Ottawa Senators will have acquired Chris Stewart for a 2015 1st round pick.

Don't even joke about that.

Fate works in mysterious ways.......just talking about something enough is enough to make it come true....sometimes. :scared:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

It's another important point, this "rebuild" or what you want to call, takes more time than with some different teams because the best picks were 6th, 9th and two 15th... Sens are not doing "we completely suck" rebuild... Personally, I would find it a lot more gratifying if the Sens become a good team without all those consolation prizes for sucking. Leave it for losers.

Murray inherited a Stanley Cup finalist team with possibly the most dominant first line this league has seen since the Legion of Doom. Heater and Spezza were two superstar forwards who Murray managed to lose for basically nothing. It's not like Murray was left with nothing to work with, he just couldn't manage his most valuable pieces properly.

I'll quickly respond to this...

Heatley was good back then but his prime didn't last very long. Sens were lucky to get Michalek and get out of his contract... Heatley became vastly overpaid and a burden not even 2 years after the trade.

Spezza was kept for 7 years after the trip to the SCF. 7 years dude, what do you want more? He is out of his prime too, sure we could still use him but when the rest of the team will be at his peak, Spezza will be even more on the decline.

And we also kept Alfie 6 years until he was past 40 years old...

That's what happened to that ONE LINE TEAM

Chara was already let go by Muckler, Redden vastly regressed after his mom died, Meszaros was a flash in a pan, Havlat was traded for a 2nd round pick and Phillips and Neil have aged.

You'd have to be very "simpleton" to say "Murray inherited a Stanley Cup finalist team and drove it into the ground"... Well, I would say yes partially because of coaching hirings which accelerated the need of a rebuild...

Also forgot to comment on this...

The "real" rebuild, which means when the team admitted that the contention window was really closed, started in 2011, which is 4 years ago...

Do people really expected this small market team to be a contender so fast? Yeah, the results in the first 2 years really fooled people I guess.

I always say 1995-1997 was an amazing time. The team was starting to turn the corner and you had legit reason for optimism because you could tell some of the younguns were going to turn into something special.

Only guy on the current roster that gives me that feeling now is Hoffman.

Karlsson and Ryan are also special. I see some intriguing potential in Ceci and Lehner too. And then you have many wildcards like Zibanejad, Chiasson, Puempel, Lazar, Stone, Paul, Prince, etc. One of them might turn into something special

But yeah, you can't expect a team to be as stacked as the Sens were from 2002 to 2006, that would be dreaming in Technicolor. The only team that is close is the Hawks. Such a shame that Ottawa has 0 Cup to speak for from that period. Chokerville.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Murray's first mistake was not starting the rebuild sooner. We were always trying to "win it for the vets" getting beat up by Pittsburgh. The team should have been retooled then. Murray is just not ruthless enough for my liking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad