NFL: Reports: Kaepernick filing grievance against owners for collusion

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Matt Stafford :laugh:

Whats funny? Pretty clear that Stafford is a better QB.

there are plenty of QB's better than kaep in the NFL and there are a lot more who are far less talented

no one's saying kaep is a better QB than russell wilson but when you people make it sound like some 3rd string QB is more talented it's just hilarious

You're correct but its not worth the media circus and baggage. If he was an elite talent like Rodgers or Brady sure, but hes not and teams would rather start their 1st round QBs or placeholders instead. Can't blame them.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
there's 3 things against Kaepernick in the lawsuit that I dont him getting past.

1. he voluntarily ended his employment by opting out of his contract in SF

2. you can't dictate talent evaluation to GMs. It is up to each GM who/what they value for their respective team

3. each owner has the right to say I dont want an individual representing my franchise. Its the reason Ray Rice is unemployed.

short of him finding and producing a memo/document where every owner agrees to not sign him, there's no way you can definitively prove collusion in a job market based on talent evaluations.

Reactions: Voight

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
there's 3 things against Kaepernick in the lawsuit that I dont him getting past.

1. he voluntarily ended his employment by opting out of his contract in SF

2. you can't dictate talent evaluation to GMs. It is up to each GM who/what they value for their respective team

3. each owner has the right to say I dont want an individual representing my franchise. Its the reason Ray Rice is unemployed.

short of him finding and producing a memo/document where every owner agrees to not sign him, there's no way you can definitively prove collusion in a job market based on talent evaluations.
I tend to agree that Kap is out of the league because teams don't want to deal with the circus for a good, but not great player, but I don't think your first point is very relevant. It had become clear Kap was going to be released so he opted out earlier to get a head start on FA.

I don't know how he can prove collusion, it seems to me that teams just don't want to deal with the headache that would come with signing him. He is a good QB who based on talent alone would easily be in the league, and potentially starting for a number of teams. A great guy to have as your backup because we've seen a lot of starting QBs get injured, resulting in lost seasons. That being said, signing him at this point would be a massive distraction from both positive and negative attention.

member 157595

"average talent"

so you're saying nathan peterman, sam bradford, etc are better QBs than kaep?

That's not necessarily a fair usage of the word "average" IMO.

While I do think Bradford and Kaepernick are on similar tiers (if CK is in a system that compliments his skills), Bradford is nothing more than a temporary stopgap for Josh Rosen and I'm not sure Kaepernick would want/is good at that kind of role. After all, a system that compliments Kaepernick probably doesn't compliment Rosen and I don't know if Arizona would want to customize their playbook for a stopgap. I'm admittedly spitballing a bit here, but all things being equal, Bradford is still much more the kind of player I'd want as a stopgap QB.

Re: Peterman, he is in no way an "average" QB. He's easily one of the worst QB's to start a NFL game in years (if not THE worst) and belongs nowhere near a starting job in this league. Kaepernick is of course a massive upgrade over him, but the Bills have Josh Allen (who I think kind of sucks and will bomb as a NFL QB, but that's beside the point here) in the wings and they're going to hand the keys over to him very soon.

As I've said earlier in the thread, I personally don't have anything against Kaepernick and I think many NFL owners are sleazeballs. He's unquestionably a better player than some of the QB's currently starting in the NFL. But is he better to the degree that would justify the intense media attention and controversy that comes with him? Whether one agrees with his protest or not is almost beside the point in this regard; his presence brings in an extraordinary amount of off-field stuff and NFL owners have either each independently (not collusion) or collectively (collusion, though I don't know whether or not that can be proven in a court of law) decided that the pros don't outweigh the cons.

Reactions: bambamcam4ever

member 157595

Kaepernick can play in any scheme. Most of his rush yards come off scrambles and breakdowns defensively. He doesn't need some wildcat/hybrid offense to play. He can handle the wco like any other qb.

I'll take your word for it, you've watched him a hell of a lot more than I have.

What I've seen indicates that while he's not the least versatile player, you definitely get a lot more out of him if you adjust your scheme to best fit his skillset.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I'll take your word for it, you've watched him a hell of a lot more than I have.

What I've seen indicates that while he's not the least versatile player, you definitely get a lot more out of him if you adjust your scheme to best fit his skillset.
He's lethal if there are guys to stretch the defense vertical. If he has wr's that can pull the db's back in coverage then it becomes a 7-7, which he can exploit and either throw intermediate or run. He'll never be a guy with a great deep ball, but he'll always be a guy who can get a team huge chunks of yards in multiple ways.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Because they were rebuilding and went full rebuild. Any team starting Brian Hoyer over Kap isn't interested in winning.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Which just furthers my assumption that the crowd that is tired of the status quo is bigger than the faux patriots who never gave a damn about the anthem until some rich people told them they should care.

Any NFL team would be fine if the signed Kap. They would more than replace those fairweathered fans who ditch the team/sport. f*** them, anyway.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Or it shows that Kaep supporters are mindless zombies rushing out to buy Nike products to "Support" Kaep thus proving just as dumb and foolish as the idiots burning Nike stuff they paid for

berklon

Dec 24, 2008
Or it shows that Kaep supporters are mindless zombies rushing out to buy Nike products to "Support" Kaep thus proving just as dumb and foolish as the idiots burning Nike stuff they paid for

How are Kaep supporters who buy Nikes "just as dumb and foolish" as those who are burning Nikes they paid for?

Kaep supporters who are buying Nikes are voicing their opinions that they don't like racism and injustice in the criminal system - which is a good thing. And they're actually getting something for the money they're spending - shoes.

People who burn Nikes they already paid for have nothing to show for the item they already paid for. Are they going to burn their cars if Ford uses Kaep for their ads?

These two groups of people are not equal. Not by a long shot.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I watched plenty of NFL games this week. I didn't have any reason to boycott the games or stop buying merchandise. I support the players and the owners.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad