NFL: Reports: Kaepernick filing grievance against owners for collusion

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
And his protest and what he stands for. Am I wrong in that?

I think he has handled things poorly yes.

I don’t like the kneeling and think it is disrespectful but think they have the right to do it and ultimately should be allowed.

As for what he stands for, I am against police violence and racism but I doubt we agree on how prevalent an issue it is.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I think he has handled things poorly yes.

I don’t like the kneeling and think it is disrespectful but think they have the right to do it and ultimately should be allowed.

As for what he stands for, I am against police violence and racism but I doubt we agree on how prevalent an issue it is.
Surprisingly nuanced response. Kudos.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Which just furthers my assumption that the crowd that is tired of the status quo is bigger than the faux patriots who never gave a damn about the anthem until some rich people told them they should care.

Any NFL team would be fine if the signed Kap. They would more than replace those fairweathered fans who ditch the team/sport. **** them, anyway.

Taking your premise at face value: wouldn’t those “new” fans also be fair weathered if they only become NFL fans because Kaep signed with a team? Are they going to be spending dollars on and become a long term fan of the team if Kaep is a backup or below average starting QB? Will they follow the team after Kaep is gone?

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
How are Kaep supporters who buy Nikes "just as dumb and foolish" as those who are burning Nikes they paid for?

Kaep supporters who are buying Nikes are voicing their opinions that they don't like racism and injustice in the criminal system - which is a good thing. And they're actually getting something for the money they're spending - shoes.

People who burn Nikes they already paid for have nothing to show for the item they already paid for. Are they going to burn their cars if Ford uses Kaep for their ads?

These two groups of people are not equal. Not by a long shot.

Well for one the owners are making money off of merchandise that Nike sells.
The same owners who failed to hire Kap and who are being sued by him for collusion.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Taking your premise at face value: wouldn’t those “new” fans also be fair weathered if they only become NFL fans because Kaep signed with a team? Are they going to be spending dollars on and become a long term fan of the team if Kaep is a backup or below average starting QB? Will they follow the team after Kaep is gone?
They can be looked at that way, sure, but either way the league is going to make money. I believe if they took a stance one way or the other they would still be making billions of dollars.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
They can be looked at that way, sure, but either way the league is going to make money. I believe if they took a stance one way or the other they would still be making billions of dollars.

We’re talking individual owners here though. Not the league as a whole.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
How are Kaep supporters who buy Nikes "just as dumb and foolish" as those who are burning Nikes they paid for?

Kaep supporters who are buying Nikes are voicing their opinions that they don't like racism and injustice in the criminal system - which is a good thing. And they're actually getting something for the money they're spending - shoes.

People who burn Nikes they already paid for have nothing to show for the item they already paid for. Are they going to burn their cars if Ford uses Kaep for their ads?

These two groups of people are not equal. Not by a long shot.

Hopefully Nike uses some of the profits to better compinsate their overseas labor force and provide better working conditions.

a3c6a241596919.57ac314db1a32.png

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
They were going to cut him. They told him so. He opted out of his contract to get a head start on free agency.
Ever notice how all of these narratives about why Kaepernick is jobless put the blame on him when all of the facts about QBs with jobs being worse than him are literally unrefutable? It's almost like people want to avoid what's literally the elephant in the room, that it's about the uncomfortable conversation about race relations in the USA...

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Ever notice how all of these narratives about why Kaepernick is jobless put the blame on him when all of the facts about QBs with jobs being worse than him are literally unrefutable? It's almost like people want to avoid what's literally the elephant in the room, that it's about the uncomfortable conversation about race relations in the USA...

notice how all the "woke" fans want to ignore that owners have always had a say about what players represent their team and GMs/coaches have always avoided players where the distraction factor outweighs the skill.

if it's a racism thing, where is the outcry of support for Ray Rice? I can name a long list of RB in the league that he is certainly better than.

Also, lets stop acting like Kaepernick is looking for any job. You really think he'd sign for league minimum? And really think he doesn't have a salary threshold in mind that he'd accept.

friendly reminder: freedom of speech means the gov't can not restrict what you say...it does NOT mean there are no consequences of that speech

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
notice how all the "woke" fans want to ignore that owners have always had a say about what players represent their team and GMs/coaches have always avoided players where the distraction factor outweighs the skill.

if it's a racism thing, where is the outcry of support for Ray Rice? I can name a long list of RB in the league that he is certainly better than.

Also, lets stop acting like Kaepernick is looking for any job. You really think he'd sign for league minimum? And really think he doesn't have a salary threshold in mind that he'd accept.

friendly reminder: freedom of speech means the gov't can not restrict what you say...it does NOT mean there are no consequences of that speech

I'm still curious about what the "distraction factor" is rooted in...

Literal Mic Drop

#micdropped

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

Ray Rice knocked his f***ing wife out on camera and then dragged her by her hair. To even try to equate this to Kaepernick or racism is just ridiculous.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
compare a guy who beat his wife to a guy who's exercising his first amendment rights

now there's a reach

rights still have consequences. period.

you take a controversial stance or make yourself a lightning rod, you're going to have consequences related to people's reactions to it.

example...is it collusion/racism that Beyonce has had spokesperson deals with major corporations like Pepsi and Covergirl while Eminem hasn't? Or is it simply the company choosing the image it wants to be associated with.

no different here...each team is a corporation, they are free to choose who represents them. you're free to call them racists and stop supporting them for it (that's the consequence they choose), but they still have the right to make that decision

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
compare a guy who beat his wife to a guy who's exercising his first amendment rights

now there's a reach

It's not a 1st amendment rights issue. The 1st amendment limits the government's ability to restrict speech and other subjects. It does not grant carte blanche to do or say whatever you want at work.

If anything as we're seeing with the NFL and Player Union it's an issue of labor law and collective bargaining.

Reactions: VickAshley

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
It's not a 1st amendment rights issue. The 1st amendment limits the government's ability to restrict speech and other subjects. It does not grant carte blanche to do or say whatever you want at work.

If anything as we're seeing with the NFL and Player Union it's an issue of labor law and collective bargaining.

and its only an issue because the majority of NFL owners are old white guys who think kneeling during the anthem is equivalent to a felony

of course there's going to be tons of attention placed on guys who kneel during the anthem. there's also been tons of attention placed on other players for different reasons and those players had no trouble landing jobs

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm still curious about what the "distraction factor" is rooted in...

Literal Mic Drop

#micdropped

yeah because patriotism, the flag and the anthem aren't things that a majority of Americans fiercely defend and hold sacred...

simply put, disrespecting the anthem/flag is going to get you a large negative response whether youre white, black, purple, green

but, youre clearly being obtuse to be obtuse so carry on.

and go ahead and pick that mic back up

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
and its only an issue because the majority of NFL owners are old white guys who think kneeling during the anthem is equivalent to a felony

of course there's going to be tons of attention placed on guys who kneel during the anthem. there's also been tons of attention placed on other players for different reasons and those players had no trouble landing jobs

These guys are all big businessmen. I'm sure there are some that would make a decision based on their own personal beliefs, but I'd expect the majority are doing a risk/reward estimation on player upside vs. potential for disgruntled customers or team distraction elements.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
yeah because patriotism, the flag and the anthem aren't things that a majority of Americans fiercely defend and hold sacred...

simply put, disrespecting the anthem/flag is going to get you a large negative response whether youre white, black, purple, green

but, youre clearly being obtuse to be obtuse so carry on.

and go ahead and pick that mic back up
He consulted with a US Veteran about the protest. Dude told him kneeling would be respectful. Did you literally even ever read that? An actual factual VETERAN.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

Mic is dropped so hard right now it's like literally hit bedrock.

Thank you so much.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
He consulted with a US Veteran about the protest. Dude told him kneeling would be respectful. Did you literally even ever read that? An actual factual VETERAN.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/veteran-kaepernick-take-a-knee-anthem/

Mic is dropped so hard right now it's like literally hit bedrock.

Thank you so much.

I consulted with two vets who said it wasn't respectful.

2 is bigger than 1 so pick that mic up again.

Who cares if he consulted with 100 vets that doesn't change anything.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
The president chiming in and encouraging owners to not sign him as financial punishment for expressing his freedom of speech sure brings it into that realm.

Probably need to bring lawyers into it to decide if the law was TECHNICALLY broken, but the President doing that is surely as un-American as it gets.

VickAshley

Dec 7, 2017
Oak Lawn
twitter.com
The president chiming in and encouraging owners to not sign him as financial punishment for expressing his freedom of speech sure brings it into that realm.

Probably need to bring lawyers into it to decide if the law was TECHNICALLY broken, but the President doing that is surely as un-American as it gets.
Not too try to make it too political again but he literally campaigned on it and to this day still makes it a major talking point at his current campaign rallies and it's the major reason why the protest has been marred with this "anti-nationalism" label that has made the protest a "distraction" that teams don't want to "deal with."

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

It would certainly be an interesting legal case, not that we'll ever see it happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad